Chord Hugo
Oct 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #8,401 of 15,694
  USB cables can make a difference to the sound - not due to source jitter (as this is completely removed by Hugo), but due to the amount of RF noise that gets injected into the ground plane of Hugo. More RF noise, more noise floor modulation, which makes it sound brighter. Unfortunately, I suspect some expensive USB cables actually make RF noise levels worse, so it will sound brighter and give the impression of more detail. So my advice is to be careful if it sounds brighter!

Another issue is signal dependent ground currents that are distorted - these currents come from the source when processing the data - but the cable can't do much to change this, as it is a low frequency error. Galvanic isolation can be made to work to solve both the RF noise injection, and the distorted signal dependent ground currents. These ground currents affect sound stage depth, as the corrupting signals are at their worst when the data crosses through zero, as all the bits switch from all 0's to all 1's and vice versa - so it degrades low level details, which are the cues for depth perception.

Rob

Rob, Thanks for sharing with us.

I know absolutely nothing about electronic but my 20$ Olimex USB-ISO with stock USB cables listening to everything 16/44 sounds better, with darker background, wider sound stage than on HD with 192k or DSD files. And its much cheaper than a 500$ USB cables I almost bought.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #8,402 of 15,694
  USB cables can make a difference to the sound - not due to source jitter (as this is completely removed by Hugo), but due to the amount of RF noise that gets injected into the ground plane of Hugo. More RF noise, more noise floor modulation, which makes it sound brighter. Unfortunately, I suspect some expensive USB cables actually make RF noise levels worse, so it will sound brighter and give the impression of more detail. So my advice is to be careful if it sounds brighter!

Another issue is signal dependent ground currents that are distorted - these currents come from the source when processing the data - but the cable can't do much to change this, as it is a low frequency error. Galvanic isolation can be made to work to solve both the RF noise injection, and the distorted signal dependent ground currents. These ground currents affect sound stage depth, as the corrupting signals are at their worst when the data crosses through zero, as all the bits switch from all 0's to all 1's and vice versa - so it degrades low level details, which are the cues for depth perception.

Rob

Rob, thank you for your interesting note!!
Now I'm very much interested in Galvanic isolator or USB isolator ... 
Do you have any plan to create / sell one as Hugo's option or could we create one by ourselves as DIY?

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #8,403 of 15,694

I know absolutely nothing about electronic but my 20$ Olimex USB-ISO with stock USB cables listening to everything 16/44 sounds better, with darker background, wider sound stage than on HD with 192k or DSD files. And its much cheaper than a 500$ USB cables I almost bought.

Yes its really cool, I use the Olimex too with the short stock Chord USB cable. Its a shame nobody does a high data rate unit.

Rob

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #8,404 of 15,694
Dear Rob ;

Obviously the Hugo has been designed, positioned and accepted as a statement product that has gotten your company much well-deserved praise and attention. Would it be logical to assume that the cables you supplied with Hugo should allow it to perform at the peak of it's abilities under most circumstances ? And if not, why would you send out a product that is clearly a high-end unit with cables that don't match it's quality ? Anyone likely to purchase Hugo at it's current price point would not likely be scared off if the cost of 'better' cables ( assuming they are needed ) were added to the price.

I ask as someone who is still trying to navigate the thorny issues of connections and the perceived differences between them.

Best,

Another Rob

I don't think Chord is a cable company. I think it's safe to say there are other pro cable companies out there that have been in the bussiness for over 20 years, and working on and putting out excellent dacs, amps etc i think is a daunting task on its own. So let's just say chord without having much expertise in the cable area put out a special cable for chord hugo alone and up charging the price for the unit. Do you not think people will start comparing the cable supplied to other cables, other usb isolated + regulates + usb is ii this and that? Saying "oh this worked better than the custom cable supplied by hugo"... then ofcourse value will drop and some would even start doubting the dac itself because of the cable quality...

just sayin... I don't see pro cable companies putting out electrical components like dacs, amps etc.
I think it's better to just focus in one area of the field and make it best you can than get involved in all different areas and put out mediocre products.

Perhaps later down the line, when chord is more established it's a possibility.. Chord have just been getting lot of praise starting with Chord Qutehd which is only like 3-4 years old.

Edit: oops, on a side note, I am not sure if the "Chord company" is from the same company as Chord electronics but on website, it does mention the chord company have been working with chord electronics to put out some rca interconnects to match hugo.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #8,405 of 15,694
Not the same yes.

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #8,406 of 15,694
So Rob (and other Olimex users with the Hugo),
1) Does the Olimex work in the HD port too (I realize it is only an SD speed device and therefore only 16/44 but wondered if the port mattered)? 
2) Is the SD port cleaner in this instance? 
3) Has anyone tried the SD port without the Olimex (for comparing if it's better 16/44 than the HD port)?
Looks like the Olimex requires two USB cables, right?
Thx
Ted

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #8,407 of 15,694

Yes its really cool, I use the Olimex too with the short stock Chord USB cable. Its a shame nobody does a high data rate unit.

Rob

Maybe not quite the same thing, but how about the Schiit Wyrd?

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #8,409 of 15,694
  So Rob (and other Olimex users with the Hugo),
1) Does the Olimex work in the HD port too (I realize it is only an SD speed device and therefore only 16/44 but wondered if the port mattered)? 
2) Is the SD port cleaner in this instance? 
3) Has anyone tried the SD port without the Olimex (for comparing if it's better 16/44 than the HD port)?
Looks like the Olimex requires two USB cables, right?
Thx
Ted

No, it mucks up the HD USB negotiation process, so HD input is not recognised.

The SD input is smoother with the Olimex, that's consistent with lower RF noise levels within Hugo.

The SD input is not better than the HD input for 16/44 without the Olimex.

I would be profoundly amazed if the cable pre Olimex was audible as we are now dealing with 1's and 0's, but stranger things has happened before in my audio life!

I suspect the Olimex is based on the Analog devices USB isolator chip, which provides full RF and LF isolation, as the coupling capacitance is a mere 2pF.

Rob 

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #8,410 of 15,694
Most high end audio equipment makers leave cable research and development to the cable guys, who work in the black arts of mellalurgy, materials science, and electrical transmission. This has been standard for decades now.
After all, the company is Chord, not Cord.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #8,412 of 15,694
  Hi Somphon, can you please confirm a couple of points as my technical knowledge is limited:
1) is the the Olimex isolator you are refereing to? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olimex-USB-ISO-USB-isolator/dp/B007B2EWBI
2) if so, as far I understand I would have to do the connection connect Mac > USB A - USB B > Olikmex > USB A - USB Micro - is this correct?
Thanks in advance

Hi Lutrty,

1. Yes, but I bought it directly from their website. Very fast 3 days delivery to Thailand from UK.
2. Yes, correct. I use all stock quality cables.

Sounds better than Moon Silver Dragon USB and DHC cable on its own (I audition both after I got the isolator). I didn't try them in combo though.
I don't see much issue with digital cables for short distance, so I've yet to justify why I should drop $$$ for them. Of course if I have lots of money, bunch of red Heimdal2 cables on my desk would look lovely.
biggrin.gif

Now only if someone makes a HD version!

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #8,414 of 15,694
The SD input is smoother with the Olimex, that's consistent with lower RF noise levels within Hugo;

Well, I admit I was slightly skeptical of this heat shrunk piece of electronics, but it certainly does sound smoother to my ears :)

I am using the Hugo into my Sony UDA-1 and speakers via some very standard interconnects and I wondered if there was a similar approach to take with the interconnect, rather than £500 cables? [noob alert, go easy pls :)]

Thanks & Regards

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #8,415 of 15,694
Edit: oops, on a side note, I am not sure if the "Chord company" is from the same company as Chord electronics but on website, it does mention the chord company have been working with chord electronics to put out some rca interconnects to match hugo.

My understanding is that they are completely separate entities, No idea what kind of business registry allows two companies to operate in the same domain with such similar names, but that's a puzzle for someone else to solve.

http://chordelectronics.co.uk/about.asp

http://www.chord.co.uk/about-the-chord-company/chord-history/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back