Chord Hugo
Sep 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #8,371 of 15,694
The Hugo is performing magic in my 2 channel setup this evening.  I moved from the stock Hugo USB cable while I was waiting on my Audioquest adapter to fit my Audioquest Diamond USB cable.  It was a nice reminder that a USB cables carrying 1s and 0s can make a difference.  While the stock USB cable is perfectly acceptable and the Audioquest cable is crazy priced, it does grant the listener a little more resolution and transparency.  

Happy Friday all!

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #8,373 of 15,694
I just went to radio shack and bought an otg cable and connected it to Hugo, then from the otg cable, used usb to micro usb to connect to my tablet and still no sound... do I have to enable usb audio on my Galaxy tab 4? I'm using Galaxy tablet 4/ 7.0

You should connect the otg cable to your Samsung tablet and usb to micro usb to hugo. If it doesn't work, try USB audio player pro app.

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #8,376 of 15,694
  The Hugo is performing magic in my 2 channel setup this evening.  I moved from the stock Hugo USB cable while I was waiting on my Audioquest adapter to fit my Audioquest Diamond USB cable.  It was a nice reminder that a USB cables carrying 1s and 0s can make a difference.  While the stock USB cable is perfectly acceptable and the Audioquest cable is crazy priced, it does grant the listener a little more resolution and transparency.  

Happy Friday all!

I had the same revelation when I used my $1 monoprice  usb cable to replace the stock cable.  I'm a bit gun shy to invest to much into a usb cable when the dacs are getting cheaper by the day and should nullify any gains in a digital cable at a much better return on value.  The science and market are a bit voodoo still at this point concerning digital cables.

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #8,377 of 15,694
Yesterday I was playing hours on the Hugo. Hooking onto spotify and usb connection, the Hugo could not last more than 6hours. Is something wrong with my battery? Or do u guys also experience The short battery life.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #8,378 of 15,694
Yesterday I was playing hours on the Hugo. Hooking onto spotify and usb connection, the Hugo could not last more than 6hours. Is something wrong with my battery? Or do u guys also experience The short battery life.

Wouldn't know since I only use the Hugo for portability, not mobility, thus it's always plugged in.  Lot's of posts here in this thread on time length and from what type of playback.  6 hours is the minimum I've heard of on this thread.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #8,380 of 15,694
So - I managed to get an early bird special on the Pono player which is due to come out in October, though I'm not looking forward to paying even more money over in taxes to the UK government.

Anyway - Pono has a headphone out and a line out. What would be the best way to connect to a Hugo? And would it degrade the sound quality by doing this?

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #8,381 of 15,694
So - I managed to get an early bird special on the Pono player which is due to come out in October, though I'm not looking forward to paying even more money over in taxes to the UK government.

Anyway - Pono has a headphone out and a line out. What would be the best way to connect to a Hugo? And would it degrade the sound quality by doing this?

The Pono won't work with the Hugo as it only as analogue outputs (headphone output, fixed-level output).
Why would you bother with this triangular toblerone nightmare anyway ....

And the PONO has a DAC built in (ESS Sabre 9018 DAC chip + ‘minimum phase’ digital filter designed by Charles Hansen of Ayre Acoustics)  -  so why the need for the Hugo then ??

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #8,382 of 15,694
Understood

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #8,383 of 15,694
  The Hugo is performing magic in my 2 channel setup this evening.  I moved from the stock Hugo USB cable while I was waiting on my Audioquest adapter to fit my Audioquest Diamond USB cable.  

I mentioned that here a few months because I have the same great results with the diamond/hugo combo and I'm happy that someone finally confirmed it.  (I got so many comments that I'm imagining things...) It's an amazing sounding cable.
But if you want to spend less, the Wireworld starlight (the red one) is the budget cable of choice to my ears. It's about $100 or less.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #8,384 of 15,694

Depending on headphones and volume, I've had as little as 5 hours and the most 7 hours using the hd-usb input. I don't listen loud.
Quite disappointing actually and there seems to be very little talk about battery life.
I had E-mailed chord about it and this is the reply I received:

"The battery life depends on the input, the listening level and the impedance of the headphones.
USB uses the most power so 6-7 hours at moderate listening levels is about right"

The reason for my disappointment is only because no where does Chord qualify the battery life and all the reviews I read always just say what they get from Chord 12-14 hours.
So my expectations were set high. When you get half or less...
If the actual battery life is properly stated and qualified then I know what to expect and there would not be any disappointment.

Anyway, it's not a deal breaker for me but longer battery life for sure would have been more welcome.
I just plug it in before I go to bed.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #8,385 of 15,694
Unlike Sony's battery-operated portables, you can listen to the Hugo while it's charging - I call that a win. That said, I enjoy the ZX2+PHA-2 combination immensely. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back