Chord Hugo
Sep 25, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #8,356 of 15,694
I'll most likely stick with Chord electronics for all my DAC/Amp needs in future and Evolution Acoustics for my loudspeakers and that's it..no other brands for me. It's really a great match and two good companies that put out such nice sound.

+1 on that!

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #8,357 of 15,694
  Fabricated this case from Go Pro Incase.  Here is link to stock photo.  http://www.boardistan.com/?p=46590

The picture of my exacto knife corrected one is below.  I should be ready to travel with my gear now. The case firmly holds the a k240 and Hugo as you see below.  I believe the retail was about $29.00.  Also, the moon audio toslink is wedged on the right side so it is protected too.

excellent solution, thanks for sharing!

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #8,358 of 15,694
Dude, your speakers are rated 86db at 6 ohm load sensitivity. I had a pair of EA MicroOnes rated 87db at 6 ohms and Hugo distorted at moderate volume. But for late nite listening at low volume, it was unbelievably good. Since then I sold my speakers, and now waiting for my new speakers rated 98db 1w@1m on 8ohms.

I wouldn't recommend it. But since your cables are coming in, play everything through Hugo (dac/volume/amping) to your speakers at low to lower moderate volume at night and you will see what I'm talking about. You'll prabably end up selling your speakers too lol. Nice speakers though.

or, I have heard from Rob that there are new amps from Chord that are as good as the Hugo coming out in 2015. Wait for those, I'm defiantly picking those up to pair with Hugo out to my Dynaudio C1 signatures.

-peace

The cables arrived today, and I hooked the Hugo directly up to my Harbeth M30.1. 

First impressions are good. It goes as loud as I would normally listen to, unless I was 'having blast' when everyone was out. 

It sounds very nice indeed. Lots of space, air, atmosphere and very smooth. Compared to my Devialet 120, it's very similar. Devialet has the guts and drive, but the Hugo stands up to it at moderate volumes. I'm currently listening on dark blue / purple. i.e. not full volume. 

Will keep listening!

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #8,361 of 15,694
The cables arrived today, and I hooked the Hugo directly up to my Harbeth M30.1. 

First impressions are good. It goes as loud as I would normally listen to, unless I was 'having blast' when everyone was out. 

It sounds very nice indeed. Lots of space, air, atmosphere and very smooth. Compared to my Devialet 120, it's very similar. Devialet has the guts and drive, but the Hugo stands up to it at moderate volumes. I'm currently listening on dark blue / purple. i.e. not full volume. 

Will keep listening!

Thats great to hear! I picked up some custom made Kimber Kables banana to rca MiniGQ. cables and sound improved even further. Considering Devialet costs 3x as much listed at 6,499.00, Hugo really is a special DAC/AMP.

Happy listening and please keep the comparisons coming! :D

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #8,362 of 15,694
  Impressive-how did you manage to hook the speakers to the Hugo curious to see if I could do that also.

Try to keep up Frank  
tongue.gif

Most of the Youtube vids are DiYers doing things on the cheap - go with readymade adapters like these or the Ebay cables. I'm sure one of the boutique cable companies could make you a more 'audiophile' cable but I see the adapters as a good choice for people who want to use their current RCA cables and leave the adapters plugged into the speakers when they want to switch to a headphone amp. I [prefer to stick with my powered PSB Alphas when I want to hear the Hugo through speakers - it then becomes my preamp for the PS1s power amp. Lot of fun in a small space.  

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #8,363 of 15,694

Try to keep up Frank  
tongue.gif

Most of the Youtube vids are DiYers doing things on the cheap - go with readymade adapters like these or the Ebay cables. I'm sure one of the boutique cable companies could make you a more 'audiophile' cable but I see the adapters as a good choice for people who want to use their current RCA cables and leave the adapters plugged into the speakers when they want to switch to a headphone amp. I [prefer to stick with my powered PSB Alphas when I want to hear the Hugo through speakers - it then becomes my preamp for the PS1s power amp. Lot of fun in a small space.  

Great idea, have to explore that one, how do you find the synergy between the Hugo and the PSB's?

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #8,365 of 15,694
The Hugo works well with the PS1, but you have to accept that the laws of physics apply - these are tiny speakers. Still surprised to hear how much better they are than desktop speakers from the likes of Logitech and Edifier whilst not costing a whole lot less - highly recommended for those who get that these are desktop speakers. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #8,367 of 15,694
If you write `WARRANTY REPAIR' and assign a `NIL' value to the customs/export paperwork you should be OK. After all, you are returning the Hugo as it's faulty for repair under warranty. Also, ask Chord to do the same when returning the package, then hopefully you'll avoid any Singaporean import taxes.

Quote:
Hi

Will there be vat charges if i were to ship the hugo chord from singapore to uk for repair? What shd i declare on the item value

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #8,370 of 15,694
I just went to radio shack and bought an otg cable and connected it to Hugo, then from the otg cable, used usb to micro usb to connect to my tablet and still no sound... do I have to enable usb audio on my Galaxy tab 4? I'm using Galaxy tablet 4/ 7.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back