Chord Hugo
Oct 4, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #8,416 of 15,694
I just picked up my AQ usb cinnamon cable today and it wouldn't fit so I had to chip it down again like I did with my damn AQ Vodka Toslink cable. Compare to stock cable, more clarity and smoother overall, less bright. running Jriver 20 converted FLAC files and sounds damn good running 44.1 right now. Tried DSD conversion and clearly 44.1 sounds better. Playing low moderate levels and couldn't be happier. Now I just need Hugo amps to be released so I can play this concert level during daytime! (Please hurry up Rob!) :D

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #8,417 of 15,694
I just picked up my AQ usb cinnamon cable today and it wouldn't fit so I had to chip it down again like I did with my damn AQ Vodka Toslink cable. Compare to stock cable, more clarity and smoother overall, less bright. running Jriver 20 converted FLAC files and sounds damn good running 44.1 right now. Tried DSD conversion and clearly 44.1 sounds better. Playing low moderate levels and couldn't be happier. Now I just need Hugo amps to be released so I can play this concert level during daytime! (Please hurry up Rob!)
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the update.

Which connection do you feel sounds better?? Toslink or the USB?

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #8,420 of 15,694
Anyone knows an elegant way of getting a longer power cable to the Hugo? Is the charger a generic one and it's easy to find a replacement with a longer chord? I could really use a 1.5m cable - it make cable management tricky in my Hifi set up.

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #8,421 of 15,694
  Out of curiosity for Hugo owner, what other desktop amp do you own that match or exceed Hugo?

I have tried a couple of amps with the Hugo, best for me by far was the ALO Studio Six. I like the fact that tonally it is very near to the sound of Hugo. It gives me the opportunity to endlessly tweak the sound by rolling the tubes. The resulting sound is magical with my LCD-3's

Head on over the Studio Six thread for more details.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/674498/alo-audio-studio-six-reviews-and-impressions-thread/405

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #8,422 of 15,694
after spending 3 months with this thing called hugo. it's amazing , sound so good with every Headphones: from LCD 3-Fostex Th900,T1,Philips X1,L1..
Don't mind these words but they can do it for less than 700$. but it's worth the price of course.

Oct 4, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #8,423 of 15,694
Thanks for the update.

Which connection do you feel sounds better?? Toslink or the USB?

Thanks!

Running Jriver 20 converted AIFF. files from MP3 download. (AIFF sound best to my ears on Jriver 20) running WASAPI through USB connection (AQ Cinnamon) - A/B with purchased CD disc of Adelle through Digital Optical (AQ Vodka) on Sony bluray plyer. Same track.

Digital Optical sounds better to my ears with my stuff.

Blacker backround, and I hear more intimacy with vocals. More transparency and everything sounds a bit flatter and clearer to me. I like this connection more than usb but I can still see how some can prefer USB. For one, soundstage is more 3D on USB.

I think same would apply for direct sound (optical) vs. diffuse sound. (USB)

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #8,424 of 15,694
For anyone Interested, I thought maybe it could be the converted format that was making the difference so I went ahead and burned the same few songs to a CD-R using my Jriver 20 THROUGH Jriver 20 with no changes on any setting (including format), and played the burned CD through the same Sony bluray player using Digital Optical and it clearly sounds better than through USB playing the same few songs A/B.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #8,425 of 15,694
Do any of you guys mind comparing the Hugo's sound to the AK240's? I was going to buy the AK240 then my friend told me about the Hugo. At the moment, I really can't decide which one to go for. thanks.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #8,426 of 15,694
Do any of you guys mind comparing the Hugo's sound to the AK240's? I was going to buy the AK240 then my friend told me about the Hugo. At the moment, I really can't decide which one to go for. thanks.

Its different product category. If you were going to buy AK240 for portability, then Hugo may not be so portable as you will still need a transport.
Also if planning to use full over ear headphones, AK240 may not be able to drive them.

Sounds wise, you need to listen for yourself to see what you prefer.

I see a lot of people find them good match for eachother, me included so AK240 gonna piggy ride my Hugo soon. :D

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #8,427 of 15,694
I have tried a couple of amps with the Hugo, best for me by far was the ALO Studio Six. I like the fact that tonally it is very near to the sound of Hugo. It gives me the opportunity to endlessly tweak the sound by rolling the tubes. The resulting sound is magical with my LCD-3's

Head on over the Studio Six thread for more details.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/674498/alo-audio-studio-six-reviews-and-impressions-thread/405

Now i have to figure out how to get it over to Thailand.!

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #8,428 of 15,694

The Hugo is better IMO -- more "3D" in its sound, but when I fly I take the AK240 as it is much more convenient and almost as good.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #8,429 of 15,694

The Hugo is better IMO -- more "3D" in its sound, but when I fly I take the AK240 as it is much more convenient and almost as good.

Agree with this.  I also find the added power from the HUGO to add to the dynamics.  

I just travelled with both my HUGO and AK240 using the Moon Audio molded toss link and it is bulky.  The AK240 is much more portable alone.  The sound the two make together is amazing though.

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #8,430 of 15,694
  Anyone knows an elegant way of getting a longer power cable to the Hugo? Is the charger a generic one and it's easy to find a replacement with a longer chord? I could really use a 1.5m cable - it make cable management tricky in my Hifi set up.

Thanks!

i use  Triad on mine at the house and leave the stock one at work... the triad does have about a 5'/1.5meter cable on it so i can plug it in at the floor and still have plenty of length to put it on my desk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back