Chord Hugo
Sep 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #8,131 of 15,694
When you folks take the Hugo out, I presume you put the stack in a messenger bag or sort...do you have the phone jacks side face upward? The problem i have when using idevice +cck, the stack would apply pressure to the microusb jack...

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #8,132 of 15,694
@ted_b Thanks for your help, it was my transport that didn't let me do 2X DSD.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #8,133 of 15,694
Thanks Ted. I was having a similar issue and missed the simple check on Bitstreaming option "DSD". For all its strengths, JRiver's abdicated support is kind of hit and miss. Its nice to have both and Hugo owner and JRiver expert on board.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #8,134 of 15,694
  Hello Rob,
Here are a couple of questions about the digital volume control and plugging the Hugo directly to a power amp. I'm puzzled by these and I'm sure others are too.

I followed your advice on connecting the Hugo to a power amp - my amp (Classe Cap2100) is integrated but has an HT bypass mode - that is essentially a power amp. I think it sounds better but not sure.

When used in this mode than the amps volume control doesn't work (obviously) so I use the digital volume control (via Jriver) to reduce the volume and change it as needed - I'm too lazy to go us to the Hugo every time... :wink: My Hugo is connected via Toslink to the computer.

My question is how much can you lower the digital volume control (in Jriver bit stream) before we start to introduce distortion? I've seen people suggest that up to 20% of the volume but you are the expert...

Thanks!

Yes its part of my exercise program - jumping up and down to change volume!

If Jriver has done the volume control correctly (and I am sure they have) that is it is properly dithered when truncating, then you do not need to worry about distortion or loss in transparency, nor worry about the levels too.

Rob

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #8,135 of 15,694
Regarding the handle can you please list the other useless features that Hugo has. You guys are obviously very knowledgable about all aspects of the design perhaps you can list everything you've designed I guess they didn't have handles either. The tiny handle is for your thumb by the way if you have one free.

Do those thumbs need to be opposable ?  :wink:

(as luck would have it, I broke my arm last week so this isnt a completely idle observation - we take so much for granted until our 'good' hand is relegated to the status of a mostly useless appendage. Couldnt even sign my name at the hospital.... )

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #8,136 of 15,694
Hello Rob,
Here are a couple of questions about the digital volume control and plugging the Hugo directly to a power amp. I'm puzzled by these and I'm sure others are too.

I followed your advice on connecting the Hugo to a power amp - my amp (Classe Cap2100) is integrated but has an HT bypass mode - that is essentially a power amp. I think it sounds better but not sure.

When used in this mode than the amps volume control doesn't work (obviously) so I use the digital volume control (via Jriver) to reduce the volume and change it as needed - I'm too lazy to go us to the Hugo every time... :wink: My Hugo is connected via Toslink to the computer.

My question is how much can you lower the digital volume control (in Jriver bit stream) before we start to introduce distortion? I've seen people suggest that up to 20% of the volume but you are the expert...

Thanks!

Since the Hugo is so small, what i did was change the placement of gear around the opposite way. I have my t.v 10 feet away by the front wall obviosuly, but put my amp under a Ottoman right in front of my sofa to hide it, and the Hugo where my arm can reach it to change volume. Amp and Hugo is next to eachother. Speaker cables is obviously coming towards my listening sofa but I hide it under my carpet. Its really not that bad lookwise, most wouldn't be able to see the amp under the ottoman. Now I'm just waiting for the case of Hugo to be released, icing on the cake for me.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #8,137 of 15,694
Since the Hugo is so small, what i did was change the placement of gear around the opposite way. I have my t.v 10 feet away by the front wall obviosuly, but put my amp under a Ottoman right in front of my sofa to hide it, and the Hugo where my arm can reach it to change volume. Amp and Hugo is next to eachother. Speaker cables is obviously coming towards my listening sofa but I hide it under my carpet. Its really not that bad lookwise, most wouldn't be able to see the amp under the ottoman. Now I'm just waiting for the case of Hugo to be released, icing on the cake for me.

Would you mind sharing a picture of the set-up? thanks

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #8,138 of 15,694

no, Wiesse-Muller does not work for Chord Electronics.

I have sausage-fingers which are compounded by a three-way tremor and do not have any problems with USB connects or on/off buttons, the volume button is welcomed by me just like the buttons on my ZX1, functionality via physical buttons is great for anyone who has tremors.

I've been using my prototype case for a few weeks now (slightly different straps) and can honestly say the handle is also a boon to use especially in my experience. I can get the occasional bad tremor which is uncontrollable so sometimes things get dropped... the handle negates the problem entirely as I have something to slip my fingers into for extra security which is way better for me than carrying a stack, which on the odd occasion can be problematic... bad design in your eyes is excellent viewed through mine.

obviously some do not like the design of the Hugo or case and nothing what I say will change that... I very much doubt if I will be suggesting a swing back to conventional DAC/Amp designs of a knob plonked on top of a oblong box... some like progress others don't such is the way of life.

If you call the product design of the Hugo - progress - then god save us!
Looks to me  that a lot of thinking went into the design of the electronics. I would have wished the same amount of thinking to go into design of the casing to reflect the interior.

Perhaps there is an opportunity for Hugo 2.0 to have an "interface" that is more intuitive and usable with or without sausage fingers.
And perhaps you should as I said before take the chance and listen to what people want from your devices instead of defending bad design decisions.
Enough said.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #8,139 of 15,694
This is how I store my Hugo and DAP
smily_headphones1.gif

Can that still fit in a typically sized messenger bag?

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #8,140 of 15,694
I carry Hugo in this bag when I go traveling. Delsey Villiers. I can just put Hugo in the front pocket and listen to music. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #8,143 of 15,694

Another opportunity missed to get feedback from the loyal customer-base first before producing a useless "feature".
Why is Chord even getting involved here in this forum if they can't be bothered to ask and listen to what Hugo-users really want.

The power of social media completely wasted .... very sad

CHORD 1: Usability: 0

i totally dont get it , 99 GBP what the heck why always do those companies  need to rip off people money , what is so amazing about a leather case, common , buying things for such prices are giving those companies the chance to continue ripping of people that is totally not a fair price for something even if it was the best leather in the world. Don't tell me this needed research and all that non sense , as the design clearly is ridiculous a first grader would do better

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #8,144 of 15,694
  i totally dont get it , 99 GBP what the heck why always do those companies  need to rip off people money , what is so amazing about a leather case, common , buying things for such prices are giving those companies the chance to continue ripping of people that is totally not a fair price for something even if it was the best leather in the world. Don't tell me this needed research and all that non sense , as the design clearly is ridiculous a first grader would do better

Economies of scale maybe? Wiki that 

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8,145 of 15,694

Users who are viewing this thread

Back