Chord Hugo
Jul 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #6,841 of 15,694
  LCD's, TH900, HE560, among others

lcd 2 rev2 is not giving me the bass i want

TH900 is expensive but does it give much more bass than lcd2 rev2

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #6,842 of 15,694
  so which headphone  gives a nice bass with hugo 

Using LCD-X & ALO Salty Pepper cable with Hugo, love it, though it does take 300 or so hours on the combo to really open up and sounds luscious. Addictive......

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #6,843 of 15,694
Don't want to inflame the debate again 
tongue_smile.gif

...but my Hugo and LCD-X combo has a good 400 hours on it now and doing A - B comparisons today, I prefer the optical, it is smoother, more analog. USB sounds like it has more detail but I think it presents that way because it highlights the edges of vocals and transients. Using Stock cables & I am getting up to 24/192 & DSD 64.

Just my 2 cents

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #6,844 of 15,694
  Don't want to inflame the debate again 
tongue_smile.gif

...but my Hugo and LCD-X combo has a good 400 hours on it now and doing A - B comparisons today, I prefer the optical, it is smoother, more analog. USB sounds like it has more detail but I think it presents that way because it highlights the edges of vocals and transients. Using Stock cables & I am getting up to 24/192 & DSD 64.

Just my 2 cent

I believe that's precisely the point Rob Watts made.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #6,845 of 15,694
What does it sound like it does. Also what headphone are you playing it with. As some here think I hate the Hugo and I DO NOT. Anyway it is a very dac I would think it's the source or mix of the music. Your home system might have mess resolution or overall a little vailed meaning it takes you a little farther from the muisc per say. Some headphones do this too. Like the hd800 are up close and very personnel. But a lcd3 is less in your face . Now do not take a offense at what I said it's just some thoughts and my idea .
Al

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #6,847 of 15,694
     I believe that's precisely the point Rob Watts made.

Yes he did, wanted to put some hours on Hugo before taking the time to do a A-B

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #6,848 of 15,694

HD650 bass sounds pretty amazing with all genres but I'll buy TH900s for EDM. I need more bass impact.

i have TH900 <3 , and my Hugo Chord is on the way , Fedex Ecpress too, can't wait :<

will post more about the combo ^^  atm have X-Sabre and Soloist paired with it, still the mids with that combo isn't the best ,

the best i had when it comes to the TH900's mids was with the Wa7 EH tubes, this is mids wise though, i hope the Hugo will manage to be a nice combo but doubt it can do the mids the same way since this is solid state like tube amp vs pure solid state.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #6,849 of 15,694
  so which headphone  gives a nice bass with hugo 

PM-1 also.

Quote:
  Having owned / listened to the Hugo and HD800 for a few months now, I believe that they're not an ideal synergistic 1:1 match.  The HD800 absolutely needs more umph and warmth to drive it to its potential.  

Agree.

Having owned / listened to the Hugo and HD800 for a few months now, I believe that they're not an ideal synergistic 1:1 match.  The HD800 absolutely needs more umph and warmth to drive it to its potential.  

Agree.

Hello all,

I just got my Chord Hugo a couple of weeks ago. On the topic of the Hugo being fatiguing, I did not find that to be the case. I paired my Grado 325is with the Hugo and actually found it to be very listenable. Normally I can only handle the brightness for an hour or two before it's too much. With the Hugo, I was able to happily listen for much longer with no fatigue. IMO, I thought the Grado had very good synergy with the Hugo.

My GS1000i sounds extremely nice with my Hugo (actually adds some sweetness and firmer bass). I didn't expect this.

[Mod Edit: Please use the "Multi" button to select quotes you want to reply to and post one reply instead of multiple replies. Thanks.]

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #6,852 of 15,694
  After more listening, that Amazon Toslink cable I linked to before does not sound as good as the stock Toslink cable.  I'm going to try a SysConcept Toslink cable next.

I'd be interested in your comments on the SysConcept.  I should be getting a new computer in the next month specificly with coax and optical.  Don't know which way to go, but heard good things about Sysc from posters like Jamato8 and such.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #6,855 of 15,694

What is the rest of your system like?

Hugo.  NT6 CIEM.  
smile_phones.gif
 It's pretty amazing how well they match.  If I was using an external amp, I would not be able to be sure if the treble is good or bad as the amp will color the sound most likely.  I've also tried with HD800, and I hear more details with D2 out of the HD800, but Hugo sound more natural and realistic.   I think it's because Sabre chips are a bit forward and a bit bolder with the treble. Maybe the headphone out isn't the best with cans. Hugo probably matches well with iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back