Chord Hugo
Jul 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #6,858 of 15,694
  Hugo.  NT6 CIEM.  
smile_phones.gif
 It's pretty amazing how well they match.  If I was using an external amp, I would not be able to be sure if the treble is good or bad as the amp will color the sound most likely.  I've also tried with HD800, and I hear more details with D2 out of the HD800, but Hugo sound more natural and realistic.   I think it's because Sabre chips are a bit forward and a bit bolder with the treble. Maybe the headphone out isn't the best with cans. Hugo probably matches well with iems.

It's not that Hugo is less detailed. Hugo is not as forward when it comes to it's treble and it is indeed very fine treble keeping the treble output level at optimum, which as a result keeps it sounding very accurate and natural compared to the D2.  I think Hugo's FPGA chip has bested the Sabre.  
biggrin.gif
 So yeah, the HD800 sounds better with the Hugo because if the treble is forward the HD800 likes to push that treble out to excess creating a unnatural tonality.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #6,859 of 15,694
Hi, I have a Chord Hugo and LCD-X. Just wondering if the Audeze would be driven better with a separate, more powerful headphone amp? Or would this degrade the purity of this combination?
An amp I had in mind was the Burson Soloist but open to suggestions.
Thanks

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #6,860 of 15,694
Hi, I have a Chord Hugo and LCD-X. Just wondering if the Audeze would be driven better with a separate, more powerful headphone amp? Or would this degrade the purity of this combination?
Thanks

I've moved this to the main Hugo thread as it has already been answered a few times here: Rob Watts reckons it would be a waste of time as you'd be adding more circuitry and degrading the sound. I reckon I get better dynamics with the Studio Six than the Hugo alone, but not $4k-worth better and I don't feel the sound has been degraded. 
smile.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #6,861 of 15,694
Thanks

I will be able to tell you for sure next week.

I have the same combo and have a Studio Six leaving ALO today with NOS valves. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #6,863 of 15,694
Now have Hugo running with the Vertere D-Fi V2 USB cable

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #6,865 of 15,694
  Having owned / listened to the Hugo and HD800 for a few months now, I believe that they're not an ideal synergistic 1:1 match.  The HD800 absolutely needs more umph and warmth to drive it to its potential.  

And so, while an amp might slightly color Hugo's SQ, I've come to accept and enjoy the benefits of a powerful amp such as the Aurelic Taurus or the headphone output of my McIntosh MC2205 specifically for the HD800.  

The LCD-X is much more enjoyable straight out of the Hugo, and while it does scale up when used with an amp, it's not as *needed* as with the HD800.  

UERM + Hugo?  Awesome.  The Centrance M8 boosts the UERM's bass, sound is a bit more forward and shouty.  The UERM's musicality and synergy with the Hugo is ideal.

Couldnt agree more re the HD800 and LCD-X - no idea re UERM or any other high-end IEMs but there are a few here who feel that adding any amp to the chain is only going to color the Hugo's pristine sonics - to those folk I can only say 'If it works, do it' but I'm glad I have other options for these cans. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #6,866 of 15,694

I´v had my Hugos for a week now, and I´m not dissapointed. Finally my Fostex TH900 came alive as they should. I have actually prefered my Sennheiser ie800 iems over TH900. The ie800 sounded better from my AK120. Though TH900 from AK120 was loud enough, it sounded weak in a way. With the Hugo there´s a totally new presence to the sound. Drums are much more physical. There´s room and air around each separate instrument. I can even hear the decay of a small sound inside a big and complex sound image. It´s a cliché, but I´m discovering my music again.

My biggest WOW-moment was when I put on The Wall by Pink Floyd. It´s one of those albums I grew up with and have heard a thousand times. The children choir on Another Brick pt. II is so real. I can hear every single kid. The drums are very intence and pysical. Even the placement of the instruments have changed drastically. (as I remembered them) I wish modern recorded rock sounded this good... :wink:

One more thing. Regarding the optical cable that was in the box (there was actually 3). At first I couldn´t get 24/192 to play. But then I realized that the cable hadn´t «clicked on». When the cable was securly fit it played 24/192 and DSD64 straight from my AK120. A bit strange that all other bitrates played when the cable had a loose fit...

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #6,867 of 15,694

Couldnt agree more re the HD800 and LCD-X - no idea re UERM or any other high-end IEMs but there are a few here who feel that adding any amp to the chain is only going to color the Hugo's pristine sonics - to those folk I can only say 'If it works, do it' but I'm glad I have other options for these cans. 

Yes, probably a good amp that can help the Hugo would work, something where the way the treble is done with the Hugo is not lost because to me Hugo's treble important part of the sonics.  I belive it's just sonic preference if you want your phones driven out of Hugo or not.  I think the HD800 is very good in terms of treble accuracy and tonality with better masterings. Obviously the HE-6 should not be driven out of Hugo, but LCD-X which is very sensitive, why not?  I have never tried planars, so cannot say how well Hugo reacts to planars.  I'm curious to those folks that has used an amp with Hugo, how was the treble after adding an amp to the chains?  Anything change?  I haven't tested out, but will tonight to see if the characteristics are retained with added amp in the chain.  I'm afraid of even minute changes since we're at a level where minute changes matters.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #6,868 of 15,694
I've tried to make the point before that the basshounds out there dont have to pay TH900/LCD money if they want bass with the Hugo, but the Fidelio X1 carries unfortunate baggage like 'U-shaped' and 'fun' - all I know is that after 3 months with them, these headphones never cease to surprise and delight me, in stark contrast to another blazing FOTM here. Try as I might, I never really managed to get a handle on where all the praise for NAD's HP50 came from - I think my GF has mine but I really couldnt care if she doesnt return them. Unless this is a headphone that undergoes a massive transformation with burn-in - in which case she is doing me a favor :wink: - I just dont get why others (including Tyll) have such big wraps on them. They were simply 'capable' IMO. 

We are spoilt for choice in 2014, but if someone 'relieved me' of my headphone collection tonight, this is the only headphone I'd go out and buy a second time. As sensational as the HD800s are, I really have to ask myself if the VFM equation adds up when you factor in their amplification requirements - I have them plugged straight into the Hugo as I type this but definitely prefer them from the Taurus as I've stated earlier. I can drive the X1 straight out of the Hugo or my ADL X1 portable DAC/amp without wondering if I'm missing anything - they even sound good straight from my Sony ZX1. Hmm - seems like I've gone for the X Factor without realising it :D

http://headfonics.com/2014/03/the-fidelio-x1-by-philips/

http://www.whathifi.com/philips/fidelio-x1/review

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670318/philips-fidelio-x1-review-comparison

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #6,869 of 15,694
Phillips have always made vastly underrated headphones. What music are you playing through them?

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #6,870 of 15,694
Just some thoughts regarding the Hugo.
First off it's not so that it's bright but it does push the upper mids forward giving the sound a more expansive sound stage at the sacrifice of tonal accuracy.
Second as much as I love it with the hd800. It is a bit overwhelming because if what I stated above.
Now if I use an external amp this gets better but not may like this.
This is why some say it's thin or bright
Lastly it has buzzing sounds or hisses at parts of music that
Has high treble details. This seems to be the way the Hugo is.
So for less revieling headphones or CIEMS are far better with the Hugo.
Comparring it to better dacs as DS makes the noise floor and hissing become very apparent as it's just not there with the DS.
This is with USB from a caps CPU so no noise is coming from the source or at least minimal
My advice is use it for what it is and stop putting where it does not belong
When and if they come out with a desktop unit I am sure the above issues will be greatly lessened
I'm sure my standbys above with ruffle feathers I am not being sarcastic
But reading all the posts just makes me feel the need to say this.
Also lastly I do not know why but the both the Hugo and the DS seemed to be made to work with PCM far better than DSD
This is also very obvious to me and others that hear it.
Again not what you may want to read but true.
It's not that DSD does not sound better than PCM it does but very little better surly small enough that I would not buy this unit or the DS for DSD alone
Niw post back what ever comments the Hugo lovers will I own it
And use it daily as portible and with CIEMS. As with can it's fine but it shows more flaws then I care to hear
In this the DS. Is improved enough to use
Please do not take offense to someone's honest assement as this is not a bash at the Hugo but just truthfully an observation.
I think most would agree if they had better devices to compare it and those who would not aw just agenda driven and I have no use for that.

Enjoy the Hugo for what it is.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back