Chord Hugo
Jun 18, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #5,041 of 15,694
  It's a tad trying to figure this thread at times, at first people were amazed at revolutionary game changing product that could be used in every scenario portable/transportable home, a first(?)... next up people were amazed how this little box of tricks was competing with desktop products costing way more... we have now come 360degs and have the arrival of the 'school bullies', the home audio system, products costing mega-bucks to bash little ole Hugo into submission & admit defeat... perhaps Chord should reconsider a name change to David because Hugo appears to be challenging a few Goliath's out there.  

best not to get all uppity bourgeois over gear imho.

for me I am so confused now, why every time I read a thread I get more and more confused, now I am left with the impression that the hugo might be bright and has thin sound.

Why this conflicting opinions, what is going on here in these threads so I agree with Ok Guy, first it was a rave about hugo now its criticism

So let me ask it in a simple way before I shed about a lot of money for the hugo

1- I own now fiio x3 amped by ifi ican nano, and use mad dogs as headphones sound wise it good I give it a 7

Now if I get the hugo connect it to my iphone, simply will it be a real obvious sound upgrade knowing I like nice warm, full , 3d , rich , textured somewhat dark sound signature. ( I listen to dark synthpop music, and bands like Depeche mode  ) So simply will I feel a big difference than my setup in number 1, or not.

Please I am so confused now, and was about to buy it but then read thin and bright impressions that totally throw me back from hitting the buy button

Here where I live there are no stores to audition things so I rely on you guys who have it for feedback, but now all I can say confusion is what I feel.

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #5,042 of 15,694
Relax. Do not let the bickering over small deatils here confuse you. As I know I am one that did point out smal, details. However on a the whole it's a no brainier. But if you use it with an I device you get the full,benifit and still have portability . I use it daily it's an awesome device there is no doubt . The raving about the product is true and deserving for sure.
I own many dacs and this Hugo is up at the top level of stuff in every way. As I did point out a couple of small issues that do not stop,us from enjoying the high level of quality
in way I wish I had said nothing for it confuses people like you. In the end I would never want to stop,someone from buying it or enjoying there purchase .
By sound quality it's a 9 ot of 10 and it's portible this is a mile stone that no one has. I can afford to buy what ever I want and I choose this device and iPhone 5 . It's just amazing
And as desk top,rig it's just as great too. There is no downside to,it. Some here wait for a desk top version , for me if and when it does come out I do not see the point as this product is just so far ahead of the rest of the dacs I have heard . Anyone who hears this dac will,love it's sound. It's not thin it's extremely detailed as such there is much more info
Coming at you and in a realistic way not like before . So in this it depicts clarity and detail this translation shows how bloated most other dacs are in giving us a false presentation
Unlike the real,one the Hugo gives us. Buy it and enjoy and post how damn good it is.
Al

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #5,043 of 15,694
  1- I own now fiio x3 amped by ifi ican nano, and use mad dogs as headphones sound wise it good I give it a 7

If Fiio X3 + iCan + Mad Dogs is a 7 out of 10, iphone + Hugo + Mad Dogs will give you 10 out of 10. The bottleneck after the upgrade are really the Mad Dogs.

I used to own X3 fully modded to 8741 and AD8620 that squeezed out the extra detail from the device. I also have Mad Dogs at home. The cool thing about Hugo is that you can use it with other higher end cans if you choose to do so in the future. many successful cases mentioned in this thread, HD800, TH900, LCD-XC, T5P etc etc etc...

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #5,044 of 15,694

If Fiio X3 + iCan + Mad Dogs is a 7 out of 10, iphone + Hugo + Mad Dogs will give you 10 out of 10. The bottleneck after the upgrade are really the Mad Dogs.

I used to own X3 fully modded to 8741 and AD8620 that squeezed out the extra detail from the device. I also have Mad Dogs at home. The cool thing about Hugo is that you can use it with other higher end cans if you choose to do so in the future. many successful cases mentioned in this thread, HD800, TH900, LCD-XC, T5P etc etc etc...

ok thanks now I am more relaxed and wiil order it as I have been waiting so long for it.

Now the next question I know mad dogs are not the highest end headphone, but I love this dark signature , so what I need now is an iem not a ciem to buy that has nice warm, full bass, rich , textured, smooth sound ( in a way similar to mad dog signature ) what you recommend me to buy as an iem that works well with the hugo, and I hope it will not be toooooooooooooo expensive, something around 500-700 usd max

would earsonic sm64 be a good choice?

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #5,045 of 15,694

ok thanks now I am more relaxed and wiil order it as I have been waiting so long for it.

Now the next question I know mad dogs are not the highest end headphone, but I love this dark signature , so what I need now is an iem not a ciem to buy that has nice warm, full bass, rich , textured, smooth sound ( in a way similar to mad dog signature ) what you recommend me to buy as an iem that works well with the hugo, and I hope it will not be toooooooooooooo expensive, something around 500-700 usd max

would earsonic sm64 be a good choice?

I think it would. I have not heard it , but I have the Earsonics S-EM6 which I am using with Hugo as I type this. I love it. I would say that it fulfills all your criteria, and I know the sm64 is highly regarded as well.

PS Nothing 'thin' about the Hugo's sound to these ears

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #5,046 of 15,694
I think it would. I have not heard it , but I have the Earsonics S-EM6 which I am using with Hugo as I type this. I love it. I would say that it fulfills all your criteria, and I know the sm64 is highly regarded as well.

PS Nothing 'thin' about the Hugo's sound to these ears

Yes, bottomline is that Hugo drive almost everything well, including even HD800. So with iem it will drive them as well as any portable or even desktop gears, and we are just picking the sound sig we want for the IEM without having to worry whether we are getting the most of it with Hugo... they just universally sound like they should and sounded good!

Note to self: bringing Hugo to audition any c/iems is hazardous to my wallet :wink:

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #5,048 of 15,694
Yes, bottomline is that Hugo drive almost everything well, including even HD800. So with iem it will drive them as well as any portable or even desktop gears, and we are just picking the sound sig we want for the IEM without having to worry whether we are getting the most of it with Hugo... they just universally sound like they should and sounded good!

Note to self: bringing Hugo to audition any c/iems is hazardous to my wallet
wink.gif

This is very true - pretty much everything sounds great out of the Hugo.  And it allows you to really understand the differences between headphones/IEMs from a common baseline. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #5,049 of 15,694
What I find amazing is how much more detail the hd800 is letting me hear being used with the Hugo-ak240 combo.  I took it to a business meeting and three of the guys that heard it for extended listening sessions were blown away. The HD800 sounds fantastic with it and as a reference headphone it let you hear everything the system has to offer. I been using mostly full size headphones in the house and whateverI use works well with it. The home imac systems and macbook bith use my aurdirvana and amarra symphony so I am getting good results from my home library as well. I like I did not have to carry my macbook portably as well.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #5,052 of 15,694
Hahahahah Your a funny guy.
They are very different dacs I did a comparison in the M7 thread.
If you are asking me ??
Al

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #5,053 of 15,694
bigsmile_face.gif
Yes, it's because I want to know which is best and in your comparison it's hard to find out what you prefer most between those two.

I would like to change my Master 7, but I don't know if the change will be worthy. The other candidate is the Rockna Wave Dream single ended (2xMSB platinum dac and spartan 6)

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5,054 of 15,694
Pleae send me a link to the 2x msb DAC.
Not sure what you mean.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back