Chord Hugo
Jun 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #5,056 of 15,694
I found a cheap toslink cable ($6.99 for 3 feet) from Startech.com that fits the Hugo and I have confirmed that it plays to 192 KHz:

http://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/Toslink/3-ft-Toslink-to-Mini-Digital-Optical-SPDIF-Audio-Cable~THINTOSMIN3

They have 3 feet, 6 feet, and 10 feet lengths too! 

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #5,057 of 15,694

Because it's using the buz word for dacs MSB As MSB makes Chips for other people I do not know what this is. . I will,read the links. But it did day fpga the MSB platinum plus I have is r2r design and custom . So not sure who or what this is.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #5,059 of 15,694

You can leave the Hugo hooked up to the adapter 24/7 and very few of us hear any appreciable difference in the sonics, but I assume that you mean a 'proper' PSU with IEC cabling for power cords as thick as your arm. Also not sure where your 'replace the batteries after two years' estimate comes from - I have battery-powered portable gear that has run for years without issue (admittedly its not getting much airtime since I got the Hugo) while my 2-week old Oppo BDP-105D took one jolt from an electrical storm and promptly died on me - it's back in the shop while my Hugo continues on, impervious to such nasties. 

Well, many devices' battery dies after 2-3 years. Then again, after a long research, I realized I can't buy something as good as Hugo at that price and if Chord released a slightly better dac with a PSU, they'd charge at least GBP 4.000 for it (quality PSUs are as expensive as the dacs, amps) so I bought the Hugo from Custom Cable. I hope it arrives soon. It's as expensive as my great sounding Dali Kubik system which might sound much better with Hugo (though I bought it primarily for headphones use).

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #5,061 of 15,694
If you use it as a desk top rig your not chagrin it in cycles as I do in mobile use. My pint is many years of service. Buy it and enjoy it. Audio is a great hobby but there is no way to commit to the future as things change all the time.
I do not know how old you are but time does move on weather your on the bus or not.
Al

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #5,063 of 15,694
Go USA. but as I am an Italian I get to say go Italia as well. So I have twice the chance.
Al

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #5,066 of 15,694
Ahahaha AL I'm Italian too. We were writing in english, and now that I know you are Italian I can bother you night and day via PM
wink_face.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #5,070 of 15,694

Well, many devices' battery dies after 2-3 years. Then again, after a long research, I realized I can't buy something as good as Hugo at that price and if Chord released a slightly better dac with a PSU, they'd charge at least GBP 4.000 for it (quality PSUs are as expensive as the dacs, amps) so I bought the Hugo from Custom Cable. I hope it arrives soon. It's as expensive as my great sounding Dali Kubik system which might sound much better with Hugo (though I bought it primarily for headphones use).

ok i did not take this in consideration at all when i bought it today, so what can be done if battery dies after 2 years as I am planning to keep using this for a long long time not 2 years only

can we power it using one of those mobile external battery packs

please advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back