Chord Hugo
May 16, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #3,061 of 15,694

Are you sure this isn't due to using optical input with your new unit, and, based upon previous posts, you were using coax in with your old?? Even Rob Watts prefers optical...

My SECOND Hugo that i just got recently sounds DIFFERENT than the first one i had to return because of a coax jack issue. 

In addition, it sounds like both units were not on hand at the same time to compare? If not, such statements are most definitely not trustworthy in the least. And even if so, there are so many variables at play here. 

It doesn't matter. Mine sounds great. If it is different, who's to say that the difference is better? More full-bodied is definitely not something I would want from the HUGO. I like the timbre and organic feel exactly as it is. 

May 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,062 of 15,694
Thanks!

I presume it's available online?

I have been using Sysconcepts for years. The 1300 fiber is the best (I tried 13,000 but the sound was not as good and it is very fragile) and they know exactly how to fit the optical cable to your application. The 1300 fiber cable can handle any of the resolutions and has been tested to transmit better than glass. I started using their product back in late 2006 after inquiring if they could make some special optical cables for my needs. From there they have gotten a good handle on all these new daps. 

May 16, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,064 of 15,694
I have been using Sysconcepts for years. The 1300 fiber is the best (I tried 13,000 but the sound was not as good and it is very fragile) and they know exactly how to fit the optical cable to your application. The 1300 fiber cable can handle any of the resolutions and has been tested to transmit better than glass. I started using their product back in late 2006 after inquiring if they could make some special optical cables for my needs. From there they have gotten a good handle on all these new daps. 

OK, looks like I need to put in another order.

May 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #3,065 of 15,694
Let me be very clear here: I'm comparing sound quality from my first unit using the coax to the sound quality of the unit I have now using the COAX.......with the exact same source material and sample rate.I only mentioned the fact that my current unit now came with 3 different sized optical cables(first unit didn't)  I ONLY USED A HIGH END COAX ON BOTH UNITS TO COMPARE. My new unit also has 4 ultra pure silver battery leads which has further increased the CLARITY and imaging of my 2nd. Hugo with my JH16 FREAQPHASE.

May 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #3,066 of 15,694

great customer service!!

Sysconcepts just emailed me that my cable will shipped next Tuesday!!!!

can't wait!!!

May 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3,067 of 15,694
Let me be very clear here: I'm comparing sound quality from my first unit using the coax to the sound quality of the unit I have now using the COAX.......with the exact same source material and sample rate.I only mentioned the fact that my current unit now came with 3 different sized optical cables(first unit didn't)  I ONLY USED A HIGH END COAX ON BOTH UNITS TO COMPARE. My new unit also has 4 ultra pure silver battery leads which has further increased the CLARITY and imaging of my 2nd. Hugo with my JH16 FREAQPHASE.

I had a first and second Hugo. The first sounded as good as the second. Only difference was spacing around input and output jacks.

May 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3,068 of 15,694
I finally have a loaner Hugo in the house (only 4 months later than I planned, but still). With (damped) HD800s and various HDTracks music via USB it is excellent, as I expected. The sound to me is very liquid -- everything flows in such a lovely way. I could easily be happy selling the rest of my gear and just using this. 

Quote:
  Desperately waiting for a comparison with the M7 
popcorn.gif

Soon, I hope.

Are you sure the volume is at the exact same level on both units? I've been caught out by slight volume differences before.

May 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3,071 of 15,694

I emailed them "I heard there are two different types of cables. One with 1300 strands
> and the other 13000 strands. If so, can you help to change the order to
> one each? Both to be used to connect Chord Hugo and AK240. Thanks!"

And the reply was "The 13000 - strands fiber was just a prototype and not in production.

Apparently there is not much difference when it comes to sound between 1300 fiber and 13000 fiber so we do not offer it as this fiber has a
different diameter core 1.5mm

Though, many users notices big difference between single core fiber and 1300-core fiber, so this is the only one we offer in production".

May 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #3,075 of 15,694
I also would encourage all Hugo owners to hook up their units to a good Blueray player and run some DTS master audio movie tracks thru thru the DAC and learn about the DYNAMIC RANGE this DAC  is really capable of.I kept thinking I just made a major headphone upgrade from my JH16  Freaqphase but then after the movie I saw Hugo lit up by the Blueray player and remembered the only difference was that it was in the signal chain. amazing!
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back