Chord Hugo
May 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3,031 of 15,694
Took me about 5 minutes.  Did I win the race?

My experience was somewhat different.

I picked my Hugo up just before a flight. Using it with AK240, I noticed immediately that each musical instrument seemed more distinctive but the overall improvements were initially perceived as 'smaller than expected“.

After falling asleep (more like short naps) and awaken several times with the music playing, it suddenly dawned on me that it is music I have never experienced before.

I love the AK240 + Hugo connected by the optical cable came with the purchase. Any suggestions as to which third party optical cable is best with Hugo + AK240?

May 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,032 of 15,694
Well my Hugo has arrived, and straight from the box the sound is really very special as a desk-top DAC using PC files or streaming through a modded Squeezebox,
BUT I wanted the Hugo as a portable option and I absolutely cannot get an; iPhone, iPod or iPad to work at all into the Hugo SD micro USB socket, either using Onkyo HF player or iTunes.
Has anyone managed to use an Apple i-device as a mobile source?
The Hugo SD socket is fine because it plays when fed from the PC with driver, just not from an iPod5.
All of these i-devices are recognised fine by my Sony PHA-2.

other gripe; the digital coax socket is close to useless because of the lack of clearance with the Hugo's case.

May 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #3,034 of 15,694
  Well my Hugo has arrived, and straight from the box the sound is really very special as a desk-top DAC using PC files or streaming through a modded Squeezebox,
BUT I wanted the Hugo as a portable option and I absolutely cannot get an; iPhone, iPod or iPad to work at all into the Hugo SD micro USB socket, either using Onkyo HF player or iTunes.
Has anyone managed to use an Apple i-device as a mobile source?
The Hugo SD socket is fine because it plays when fed from the PC with driver, just not from an iPod5.
All of these i-devices are recognised fine by my Sony PHA-2.

other gripe; the digital coax socket is close to useless because of the lack of clearance with the Hugo's case.

You'll need the Camera Connection Kit for i-devices to connect to hugo's HD USB input. Make sure you enable DoP for Onkyo HD Player if you use DSD files

May 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #3,035 of 15,694
Thanks. I was trying the Apple Lightning to micro-USB adaptor, or a micro-USB to On-the Go adaptor, neither of which worked.

Another thing, is it detrimental to the sound to leave the Hugo charger plugged in during listening? Seems to work ok.

May 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3,039 of 15,694
I'm visiting the post office to collect my AudioQuest OptiLink Diamond tomorrow. That plug won't be any good for Hugo's recessed jack unless I remove the chassis temporarily, that's why I've gotta get an extender for Toslink input.

That's inevitable to get an adapter like this

http://www.viablue.de/com/adapter_rca_90_xl_angle.shtml

Or we could make the (painful) decision to keep Hugo at home exclusively, maybe work on recasing Hugo with DIY case of some sort?

Excellent. Thanks

Whatever happens regarding my own i-portable connection problems, after just a few hours listening I can say this DAC is a quantum leap forward in reproducing music from 44.1Hz/16 bit files, compared to my more costly full -size units. So, perfectly happy.

May 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3,041 of 15,694

the couple of links I've found are pretty much uneventful... I've emailed the team to see if they can update us with news & photo's.

thanks..

May 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #3,042 of 15,694

.... will these high sample rate filters be on Hugo? Absolutely not, I have no space left on Hugo's FPGA!

well, just have to wait.... next year some new generation FPGA will offer 4 times more capacity for 1/2 price and 1/4 the size  :)

May 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,043 of 15,694

well, just have to wait.... next year some new generation FPGA will offer 4 times more capacity for 1/2 price and 1/4 the size  :)

I wish that were true. Xilinx "launched" Spartan-6 several years ago, and they only became easily available 18 months ago. The new Artix range does not compete on price with Spartan-6, so I would guess the replacement to Spartan-6 is at least 3 years away. Moore's law is running out of steam. Maybe FPGA companies will stop launching vaporware, we can live in hope... 

May 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #3,044 of 15,694
I wonder why the Lightning to micro USB adaptor won't work for me?
I was hoping the Lightning camera adapter might be wired differently, and hence work.

There is an authentication chip in the Lightning to USB Camera connection kit to allow digital data flow to and from the iphone/ipad/touch with external usb peripherals (hdd, dac ...). The Lightning to micro usb adapter only allows for charging and sync to itunes for pc with micro usb connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back