Apr 26, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,416 of 15,694
  Roxanne

AKG 3003i

Logitech Ue6000

Monster noise cancelling headphones.

Samsung Note 3

Ipod using a Aptx supported bluetooth adapter

itouch 5th

All the above and I still get the noise when using Bluetooth.

Thanks beemarman, thats the same behavior as me since all my earphones are low impedance.  I tried using my dealers Hugo and it was the same.  I also tried with iPhone 5, iPad 3, windows 7 laptop.  Only consolation is that an attenuator with 100ohms will remove the noise.  Also HD800 doesn't have this issue sice they are 300ohms impedance.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #2,417 of 15,694
  What amp are you using? There is a chance that the hiss coming out of RCA of HUGO , here is a post I found very useful explaining it all:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/708051/recommendations-is-there-such-a-thing-as-hiss-less-portable-amp#post_10326970

It's a desktop speaker amp, Teac AH-01.  Let me try with the Hugo on USB if ut has hissing out the RCA.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #2,418 of 15,694
  It's a desktop speaker amp, Teac AH-01.  Let me try with the Hugo on USB if ut has hissing out the RCA.

The only amp that I have which is completely hiss free with all my IEM is objective 2 amp, it is the only amp I can trust to test my gears. it sounds signature is neutral. If you can find a locker dealer having it perhaps test it with that, I did and will do tomorrow in more detail but I did not experience hissing using RCA out with my IEM that hissed on HUGO 3.5 jack. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #2,419 of 15,694
Hugo connected on HD USB out through RCA to amp.  Music paused/stopped pitch black no noise unless I max the volume on both Hugo and amp then use headphone out on amp.  Even then it's lower than using BT on Hugo.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #2,420 of 15,694
  The only amp that I have which is completely hiss free with all my IEM is objective 2 amp, it is the only amp I can trust to test my gears. it sounds signature is neutral. If you can find a locker dealer having it perhaps test it with that, I did and will do tomorrow in more detail but I did not experience hissing using RCA out with my IEM that hissed on HUGO 3.5 jack. 

Thanks audionewbi, we are testing the RCA out to see if Hugo using BT has the same noisy output as when usinh headphone out.  In my testing thats a definite yes.  Using HD USB and no noise on RCA on my amp.  If I max the volume on both Hugo and amp then listen with IEM then I can perceive some very faint brown noise but not hissing and very definitely quieter than what is there when using BT on Hugo.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #2,421 of 15,694
  Thanks audionewbi, we are testing the RCA out to see if Hugo using BT has the same noisy output as when usinh headphone out.  In my testing thats a definite yes.  Using HD USB and no noise on RCA on my amp.  If I max the volume on both Hugo and amp then listen with IEM then I can perceive some very faint brown noise but not hissing and very definitely quieter than what is there when using BT on Hugo.

I need to clarify something I did not carry my test using BT perviously, now that I am doing it I have noise for BT regardless whether I am using the RCA or headphone out. That is given as the RCA and headphone of hugo all share the same output. 

BT is something that might have to do with the casing to, some protective casing of devices might impact the signals. For me the BT noise is not an issue as I dont use it but yes I ho hear hissing even with the RCA out.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #2,422 of 15,694

It does seem that it's only low impedance that is doing it, but we have tested with 33 ohms headphones too, and it's fine. So it very much depends upon the headphone as well as the USB source.

What I would like to do is test with the noise on the headphones, then listen on the RCA through a desktop. If the desktop is OK, then it shows that the problem is the headphones, coupled with Hugo's low output impedance as we know attenuators solves the issue.

Using iphone5s w/ BT from 1/4" jack to ER4S there is low level noise that is volume independent that is only heard during pause, quiet passages and during very low volume listening. Placing iPhone on/near/far from Hugo makes no difference. Using RCA out to tu--05, no improvement. Actually usable when necessary, but usb input much preferred.

Similar findings when using BT and ZX1 as source, but the noise is just a bit quieter.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #2,423 of 15,694
I don't need an absolute black background when using BT but there is too much noise that distracts from my listening experience.  I can tolerate a low volume hiss as seen on most amps and headphone outs but on the Hugo with BT it is a huge distraction.  I can hear it when there is no music playing eg paused but also on quieter passages of music. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2,424 of 15,694

Using iphone5s w/ BT from 1/4" jack to ER4S there is low level noise that is volume independent that is only heard during pause, quiet passages and during very low volume listening. Placing iPhone on/near/far from Hugo makes no difference. Using RCA out to tu--05, no improvement. Actually usable when necessary, but usb input much preferred.

Similar findings when using BT and ZX1 as source, but the noise is just a bit quieter.

You can alleviate the noise to some extent by turning the Hugo on it's back, there is a circular plastic window. place the iPhone on that window, you may need to move it around but it should lower the noise to an acceptable level.  Only problem is I don't use my mobile phone in such a way when moving around.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #2,425 of 15,694

You can alleviate the noise to some extent by turning the Hugo on it's back, there is a circular plastic window. place the iPhone on that window, you may need to move it around but it should lower the noise to an acceptable level.  Only problem is I don't use my mobile phone in such a way when moving around.

I'll try that, but yes, does sort of defeat the purpose of using BT.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,428 of 15,694
bluetooth from my iPod touch lying on the Hugo, no hiss heard from my Fostex T50RP.

but with TG334, slight hissing when no music playing, but kinda of mask it when music starts.

just my contribution to the BT-saga.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,429 of 15,694
Hugo is up for sale at Custom Cable for £1,199 or about $2K. Original Chassis only. Hard to resist!

Now down to £999 with a free Vertere cable. 

Done. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,430 of 15,694

Users who are viewing this thread

Back