Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Sep 9, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,696 of 1,858
  Yeah, pick your poison I guess. Yet I can hear a big difference between the USB input being fed by my laptop and the coaxial input being fed by my DX50 so I believe that there are differences (some may say PC noise, and so on...). If it's all the same 1s and 0s and that's all there is to it, USB cables, Schiit WYRD, USB Regen, and difference inputs should not make a difference. But they seem to differ to my ears. YMMV?

Neither source to be compared has a noisy PC or mains to interfere with that stream of 1s and 0s...

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,697 of 1,858

Neither source to be compared has a noisy PC or mains to interfere with that stream of 1s and 0s...

True. But it doesn't explain the widening of the soundstage and lessening of the bass through USB when compared to coaxial.
Like I have said "pick you poison" and "YMMV"
Do you use the AK100ll as your source?

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #1,698 of 1,858
Yes, there's a sonic difference between USB and optical from the computer to my ears. But there's also a difference between the X5 on one hand and X5 II/X3 II on the other hand. The X5 sounds distinctly less transparent. X5 II and X3 II sound identical.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,699 of 1,858
Both feeding the same stream of 1s and 0s to the Hugo...

But possibly at different timescales. Let's keep an open mind and see what Duncan finds....

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #1,702 of 1,858
Have anyone figure out how the Hugo's battery will be replaced when they die?
Also did anyone connected Hugo to TV 32 inch,or any size?
How is the sound?
Thanks,
Musicday

I spoke with the audio shop that sells Chord and at this time they don't sell the spare batteries however, what I was told is that one of two things will happen. 

1) If it's an easy repair or fix Chord will train resellers to do it
2) If it's difficult you will have to send it to Chord

Either way I was told that Chord takes care of their customers regardless and any issues will be taken care of.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,704 of 1,858
I would imagine as a speculative guess that it will be 18650 batteries inside...

A pair of Sony VCT5s would be about $30 (if still available, they are popular for ecig users) - but, i'm not saying that is what is inside the Hugo, and I'm especially not suggesting that someone open up to find out, just merely speculating...

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,705 of 1,858
Someone posted this on the main thread.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,707 of 1,858
Also did anyone connected Hugo to TV 32 inch,or any size?
How is the sound?

Sounds amazing...

such a lively sound... the human speach is so much different then a regular connection... its very mid-forward. With punchy bass and gentle treble.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #1,708 of 1,858
The photos are not a problem, seem way more high quality.
The question is : how we replace, improve the battery life?

With regards to the batteries we use inside Hugo, we use custom batteries from Enix Energy and developed them for both longevity and reliability.

Before the batteries drop to 75% capacity, you'll have 2000 charge cycles. In real terms this means that you can charge Hugo from flat every day for 5 1/2 years, and you'll still have 3/4 of the original play time. In the thousands of units that we've sold, we've only had two failures. Whilst we don't want any failures, we believe that these statistics are excellent.

If you do happen to get to the point where you've depleted the battery to a state where its play time is unacceptable, you will need to return it to us for a service. We won't be training retailers to perform this service as it requires soldering. We've calculated that a fresh battery change with us will cost the user approximately £100.

I do have to mention that opening your Hugo and/or modifying it in any way will invalidate your warranty and you risk permanently damaging your beloved Hugo.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,710 of 1,858

With regards to the batteries we use inside Hugo, we use custom batteries from Enix Energy and developed them for both longevity and reliability.

Before the batteries drop to 75% capacity, you'll have 2000 charge cycles. In real terms this means that you can charge Hugo from flat every day for 5 1/2 years, and you'll still have 3/4 of the original play time. In the thousands of units that we've sold, we've only had two failures. Whilst we don't want any failures, we believe that these statistics are excellent.

I am impressed by the amount of charge cycles, this is twice the amount Apple offers while maintain roughly the same capacity (75-80%). And also the failure rate is excellent, well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back