Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #1,681 of 1,858
Sony A17 can't do coaxial out.Heard coaxial is better then optical.
What adaptor are you using for Sony?
Will DSD sound massively better over the 24/192 out of Hugo? And Hugo TT sounds exactly as the normal Hugo right?
Thank you,
Musicday

Sony A17 can't do coaxial out. Heard coaxial is better then optical... Rob says 'optical' is best though I haven't tried it.

What adaptor are you using for Sony?... I use the WMC-NWH10 cable (it's a two cable affair with Hugo) & Sony-Dock when at home (single USB cable Dock>Hugo)... sometimes I go Brazilian (no cables) and do Bluetooth.

WMC-Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-Japan-WMC-NWH10-USB-Conversion-Cable-for-Hi-Res-Audio-NW-ZX2-ZX1-A10-FS-/221861016953?hash=item33a7f27579

Will DSD sound massively better over the 24/192 out of Hugo?... the differences are negligible, personally speaking I only use Red-Book lossless, can't be bothered using expensive snake oils as I still get the age lines.  

And Hugo TT sounds exactly as the normal Hugo right?...apparently not by all accounts, the Hugo-TT is an upgrade (I've never heard it so won't comment personally), please read Head-Fi'er LFC_SL's Hugo-TT Review.

link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-hugo-tt

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,682 of 1,858
you can use any DAP as a transport the result will be the same with no difference in quality, the most expensive is a misnomer... the Hugo controls everything the DAP is just a transport. hth...
normal_smile .gif

I agree that an AK 380 is overkill. You'll probably get the same sound with a FiiO X3 II, which on its part sounds identical to the X5 II, through the Hugo. However, to my surprise the X5 (first gen.) sounded distinctly less transparent when feeding the Hugo with digital data – showing the same kind of signature as from its headphone out. Hard to explain, but true (to my ears).

Rob says 'optical' is best though I haven't tried it.

That was meant with computers and their interferences (→ galvanic isolation). I think with pure audio equipment coaxial S/PDIF should be the best option.

Will DSD sound massively better over the 24/192 out of Hugo?

No, since the Hugo converts DSD to PCM. DSD is overrated anyway – it may sound better with some cheaper DACs which can't handle PCM optimally due to converter linearity issues, otherwise DSD has no technical advantage over PCM, only disadvantages. Moreover, 98% of all DSD files have (once) been converted to/from PCM anyway, as you can't do sound editing with DSD.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,683 of 1,858
Velvetx,what is your setup with Hugo?
Does it makes a different in the SQ any DAP you may use with Hugo?
Can anyone name all the music players that work with it?
I tried the very cheap Hidizs 100 and it sounds really good.

I just went to an audio shop and tested it with the audeze el 8 and LCD X. In regards to dap it wouldn't work with the AK jr but what I was told is that the Hugo basically doesn't really require you to have an expensive dap to sound great. As the Hugo basically takes over and becomes the workhorse. Yes the Hugo is portable but you could also use it for desktop.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,684 of 1,858
And Hugo TT sounds exactly as the normal Hugo right?
Thank you,
Musicday

Just curious why you should think that?

I went to a seminar with the TT's designer last week and he certainly didn't think so. I will be testing it later next week, so will let you know!

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,685 of 1,858
From what I was told the tt has better circuitry but the chip in the Hugo and Hugo tt are the same.

Most people who don't know who chord is should know that most of this tech comes from their $30K+ equipment such as preamps and amps

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,687 of 1,858
I agree that an AK 380 is overkill. You'll probably get the same sound with a FiiO X3 II, which on its part sounds identical to the X5 II, through the Hugo. However, to my surprise the X5 (first gen.) sounded distinctly less transparent when feeding the Hugo with digital data – showing the same kind of signature as from its headphone out. Hard to explain, but true (to my ears).

Originally Posted by musicday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will DSD sound massively better over the 24/192 out of Hugo?

No, since the Hugo converts DSD to PCM. DSD is overrated anyway – it may sound better with some cheaper DACs which can't handle PCM optimally due to converter linearity issues, otherwise DSD has no technical advantage over PCM, only disadvantages. Moreover, 98% of all DSD files have (once) been converted to/from PCM anyway, as you can't do sound editing with DSD.

That would explain why I'm not blown away with X5G1 with Hugo.  I like it better with USB and Regen.  Maybe time to upgrade to Gen II?

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,688 of 1,858
  That would explain why I'm not blown away with X5G1 with Hugo.  I like it better with USB and Regen.  Maybe time to upgrade to Gen II?

Yes, if you can afford it! I wonder if you'd come to the same result.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,689 of 1,858
I was thinking about how some have said that the coax is unaffected by the DAP's characteristics.  But then, what about the actual implementation of the coax in the dap?  That might lead to your noticing the difference between the two X5s.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,691 of 1,858
  anyone here have sony zx-2? how does it sound with the hugo

I had the ZX1 and now have the ZX2 paired with the Hugo, both sound exactly the same via the Hugo... you lose a bit of the warmth from the 'Sony sound' but you do gain quite a bit with the increased soundstage and better clarity...  for home use you may want to invest in the Walkman-dock, it acts as a great source and is definitely better than feeding the Hugo than my pc, hth...
normal_smile .gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #1,692 of 1,858
I have all the parts together now to compare FiiO X5 (coax) and Questyle QP1R (optical) via Hugo... Who wants to guess whether I'll hear a difference or not between two players at two different price points connecting by two different methods?

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #1,693 of 1,858
I have all the parts together now to compare FiiO X5 (coax) and Questyle QP1R (optical) via Hugo... Who wants to guess whether I'll hear a difference or not between two players at two different price points connecting by two different methods?

I bet you will! Not only are they different players, they are different outputs.
I am looking forward to your impressions with the QP1R feeding the Hugo because I am considering getting the QP1R for the same purpose (and simply using the Questyle by itself as well).
Enjoy.

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #1,695 of 1,858
  Both feeding the same stream of 1s and 0s to the Hugo...

Yeah, pick your poison I guess. Yet I can hear a big difference between the USB input being fed by my laptop and the coaxial input being fed by my DX50 so I believe that there are differences (some may say PC noise, and so on...). If it's all the same 1s and 0s and that's all there is to it, USB cables, Schiit WYRD, USB Regen, and difference inputs should not make a difference. But they seem to differ to my ears. YMMV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back