Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,651 of 1,858
  Bryan, it looks like a beautiful place to be.  Couple of other practical questions regarding your rig:
- what cable are you using with the HD800s?  I cannot imagine that the long cable supplied as original by Sennheiser would be practical.  And
- have you found a carry case for the HD800s?  The box they come in is beautiful but big and unwieldy.

Many thanks

Robert

+1, how you carry the big HD800 around?

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,652 of 1,858
  Bryan, it looks like a beautiful place to be.  Couple of other practical questions regarding your rig:
- what cable are you using with the HD800s?  I cannot imagine that the long cable supplied as original by Sennheiser would be practical.  And
- have you found a carry case for the HD800s?  The box they come in is beautiful but big and unwieldy.

Many thanks

Robert

I use the DHC Molecules Extreme with XLR plug.  The length has been cut short to about 3.2 feet.

As you can see, the HD800 fits nicely into a section of my camera bag.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #1,655 of 1,858

In fact, I am so taken with the pairing 325's with the Hugo that I have been listening to nothing else for the last three days.

I have HD800s to pair with the Hugo and for the majority of my music they sound great with a wide open soundstage. But for some tighly focussed rock, the Grado 325s with a more compact soundstage and upfront excitement sound preferable. Great headphone and match for the Hugo. Worried someone said Hugo smooth's the highs, hate anything smooth especially rock!

That might've  been me.  If so, I didn't mean that Hugo tamed the highs.  I just find that I can listen longer because the 325s have a better source in the Hugo.  I used to drive them with an IPod 7th generation when on dialysis and had to take several breaks.  Now, great!

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,657 of 1,858
Guys, isn't it the case that if I had a hugo and paired it with an iphone 5, I would be limited to the output quality of the Iphone5 (24bit 48Khz)?

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,658 of 1,858
  Guys, isn't it the case that if I had a hugo and paired it with an iphone 5, I would be limited to the output quality of the Iphone5 (24bit 48Khz)?

Not if you download the Onkyo HF Player from the App Store. It allows you to store and play back virtually all HD sound files at full-res ( with an in-app upgrade of about $12.00 )

It works like a charm with my Hugo and iPhone 6 . You will, however, have to purchase the iPhone camera connection kit to get around the iphone's proprietary lightning connector, even if you're just using the iPhone's  24bit 48khz.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #1,659 of 1,858

Not if you download the Onkyo HF Player from the App Store. It allows you to store and play back virtually all HD sound files at full-res ( with an in-app upgrade of about $12.00 )

It works like a charm with my Hugo and iPhone 6 . You will, however, have to purchase the iPhone camera connection kit to get around the iphone's proprietary lightning connector, even if you're just using the iPhone's  24bit 48khz.

When you have the CCK and app, it works really well. I even prefer the drag-and-drop workflow of the Onkio app over the iTunes one.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,660 of 1,858
  *This was posted in the other Hugo thread but I ask here again just to get more info from different people*

Did anyone hear that Hugo's firmware (okay maybe not firmware but whatever is inside it) has been changed?
I heard from someone on a different thread that Hugo's firmware has been changed when ability to connect to android devices were introduced and Hugo's before that could not. Also, and more importantly, the person told me that the change in firmware/software/program/or whatever it's supposed to be called had an affect on soundstaging and bass. Soundstaging has become a bit smaller since the change and the bass has a bit more impact. This is sort of what I felt too when I compare my demo-experience versus my own Hugo which is the latest while the demo was the first gen Hugos with the smaller input/output casing. This might be just my placebo, failure of memory, or something but I just want to ask if anyone has had a similar experience. This was unheard of to me until yesterday but it sounds kinda like a big deal to me.
Thank you.

There has been no change to the FPGA code whilst Hugo has been in production, so there are no multiple versions out there.

Rob 

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,662 of 1,858
the first 'Hugo-TT Tour' review has been posted by Head-Fier LFC_SL, great read and a thorough comparison with the Hugo, enjoy...
normal_smile%20.gif

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-hugo-tt/reviews/13822

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #1,663 of 1,858
  anyone has any issues so far with the bluetooth on the hugo occasionally stuttering/dropping out?

To be honest, I have never used the bluetooth on my Hugo. But it might also help to state which other device you are coupling it with.

the first 'Hugo-TT Tour' review has been posted by Head-Fier LFC_SL, great read and a thorough comparison with the Hugo, enjoy...
normal_smile%20.gif

Thanks for sharing, I was not aware that there was already a comparison online. That will be an interesting read!

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #1,665 of 1,858

anyone has any issues so far with the bluetooth on the hugo occasionally stuttering/dropping out?

To be honest, I have never used the bluetooth on my Hugo. But it might also help to state which other device you are coupling it with.

normal_smile%20.gif

Thanks for sharing, I was not aware that there was already a comparison online. That will be an interesting read!

It is a good read; thurro.  Gives me one of those nagging 'what if' feelings.  I don't usually take Hugo out with me.  If only...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back