Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,638 of 1,858

if I can add a comment, the Hugo is like a faithful Labrador always at your side & wanting to please, you really wouldn't be disappointed... today I am a Doctor so feel free to 'trust me'...
wink_face.gif

Ok. What do you feel are the strong points of Hugo compared to other DACs you haved heard?

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,639 of 1,858
  Ok. What do you feel are the strong points of Hugo compared to other DACs you haved heard?

I can't comment on other DAC/Amps unfortunately, Sponsor's responsibilities and all that.

from a personal view point when listening to the Hugo I find it musically immersive & satisfying to listen to... in short I just enjoy listening to my tunes from the Hugo.

for some music nirvana will never be achieved, there will always be something lacking so the Holy-Grail will never be achievable... I'm of a different ilk if I like something & it makes me happy I stick with it... the Hugo makes my ears & feet happy so no complaints from me.

>note: this advertisement(?)  is Sponsored by CanJam-London, get your tickets so you can hear the Hugo and other fine products<

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #1,641 of 1,858
You can now stream in 24/96 from Qobuz. With an iPhone a CCK and Hugo truly this is a mobile headfiers paradise

Wow. I heard that when it was 16/44.1, Tidal sounded better even though it's at the same bit rate. Do you have any opinion on that?

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,642 of 1,858

for some music nirvana will never be achieved, there will always be something lacking so the Holy-Grail will never be achievable... 
>note: this advertisement(?)  is Sponsored by CanJam-London, get your tickets so you can hear the Hugo and other fine products<

I would have to disagree. In my experience TOTL headphone rigs and speakers(even more so) really get you there. Realistic sound reproduction and total immersion. The question is how far can you go with a portable system. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,643 of 1,858
In fact, I am so taken with the pairing 325's with the Hugo that I have been listening to nothing else for the last three days.

I have HD800s to pair with the Hugo and for the majority of my music they sound great with a wide open soundstage. But for some tighly focussed rock, the Grado 325s with a more compact soundstage and upfront excitement sound preferable. Great headphone and match for the Hugo. Worried someone said Hugo smooth's the highs, hate anything smooth especially rock!

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #1,645 of 1,858
I own a Hugo and absolutely love it ...I use it with my AK120 and various headphones...I simply cannot believe people will buy a 240SS or a 380 and use them as a transport then use the Chord thus not using the DAC of the 2 expensive units...then to add an amp to the Hugo...wow!Talk about overkill,god bless if you enjoy it but damn!

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #1,647 of 1,858

Me and my HD800 at the beach.  AK240SS + Chord Hugo + Custom amp driving the Senn flagship.

Alright! You're certainly not playing around, whoever saw you on the beach would know that you mean serious business ... Just don't let yourself be mugged.
It looks like there's something covering your pads, is that just protection against the elements or does it have a sound-altering effect of some sort?

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #1,648 of 1,858
  I own a Hugo and absolutely love it ...I use it with my AK120 and various headphones...I simply cannot believe people will buy a 240SS or a 380 and use them as a transport then use the Chord thus not using the DAC of the 2 expensive units...then to add an amp to the Hugo...wow!Talk about overkill,god bless if you enjoy it but damn!

To pursue the theme further: Whatever floats the boat you choose to cruise into the sunset.

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,649 of 1,858
Alright! You're certainly not playing around, whoever saw you on the beach would know that you mean serious business ... Just don't let yourself be mugged.
It looks like there's something covering your pads, is that just protection against the elements or does it have a sound-altering effect of some sort?

Just a dust cover but mainly to keep facial oils away from my pads. You have to understand that that photo was taken during an admins meeting. There were 5 admins who attended.

The cover helped in preventing facial oil and sweat from soiling and staining the pads.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,650 of 1,858
Me and my HD800 at the beach.  AK240SS + Chord Hugo + Custom amp driving the Senn flagship.

Bryan, it looks like a beautiful place to be.  Couple of other practical questions regarding your rig:
- what cable are you using with the HD800s?  I cannot imagine that the long cable supplied as original by Sennheiser would be practical.  And
- have you found a carry case for the HD800s?  The box they come in is beautiful but big and unwieldy.

Many thanks

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back