Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Mar 19, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,171 of 1,858
  I will compare dsd playback through optical vs USB when I had time.
This will be interesting.

I like it better to listen to Hugo with crossfeed on as it gives more focus and depth plus punchier bass. Just pure audio yumminess.

I had my first opportunity to get some time with a chord hugo last weekend with A Fostex TH-900, Alpha Dog Prime and hd 800 thanks to a fellow head-fi 'er and I must say it was heavenly (TH-900 and hugo would be endgame for me based on what I heard) . I did not listen with crossfeed on but I use Jriver and it has a crossfeed setting and I hate it - it totally destroys the imaging and soundstage to me. I would be interested in hearing if the hugo can do it any better.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,172 of 1,858
Hahahahaha. I think we have stayed from my point of course it plays DSd up to 128 and yes its dop as stated.
From my msb umt plus I played DSd 64 over optical it does indeed work . The light was white not light blue. But the point I was making as the person claiming it's from his ak120. That I have not gotten to work with my ak240.
The light looks white but its not DSd white it's a light blue.
Now i did read the ak240 can play DSd over dsd but how to achieve this is my point .
When we play dsd using jriver it's just a tab to click on. But how to take a real dsF file and make it dop ahhh now the point needs to be shown to me sir !!!!
Show me this please .
Al

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #1,173 of 1,858
Maybe @Skyfall could test with other optical cables. If it works only with Sys Concept optical cables, well I'd guess they'll be really busy if is true!

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,174 of 1,858
Follow the instructions and we'll get there, otherwise AK120 / AK240 etc. will simply convert DSD into PCM via optical outputs

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/2010#post_10468801

Windows

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119364.0

OS X and Linux

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129912.0

Those files are available to download for free so it's just a matter of following instructions.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1995#post_10468747

The color could be a bit tricky, LOL

550b612b54898.png

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,175 of 1,858
  Follow the instructions and we'll get there, otherwise AK120 / AK240 etc. will simply convert DSD into PCM via optical outputs

[snip!]

Yes I was well aware of this but I'd be surprised if @Skyfall used that method of encapsulating DSD with FLAC - that's a lot of work to do.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,176 of 1,858

Yes I was well aware of this but I'd be surprised if @Skyfall used that method of encapsulating DSD with FLAC - that's a lot of work to do.

OK. What happened was I always play my music through random mode where it would  pick up any song at any sample rate then the sample rate light indicator would change accordingly.
Red    - 16/44 and 24/44
Green - 24/96
Blue   - 24/192
no lights...dsd is playing and Hugo is silent.

Out of the blue the light indicator turned Turquoise and it was playing DSD tracks...I looked at it and I was shock. It never did that before. I dialed up other dsd album like OPUS #3 and voila....there it goes
gs1000.gif

And no I did not do the DoP procedure cuz it is not on the computer.

I also have J River media player and it automatically plays dsd files but the light indicator on Hugo turns Purple instead of Turquoise like with AK120ii. Regarding the SQ I did not hear any difference between dsd with AK and Laptop but I do hear the difference between Hugo's stock optical and Sys concept. I like the later better.

@AnakChan ; the white optical that come with Hugo doesn't really fit the unit. For some reason the optical jack is a bit recessed and the white cable has bigger head plug so it won't go in. Optical from Sys has a smaller head and it fits perfectly. So i have no way to find out.

When the sample rate light indicator turns white it suppose to play dsd but mine was turquoise and purple, so the question is : is it playing dsd or something else ?

Either way, I'm happy it did.

oh on the AK side, there was no firmware update.

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #1,177 of 1,858
The white optical cable fits fine and works fine. Push it in hader till it clicks. It's harder than you think you will need too.

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,178 of 1,858
My AK120 Titan will play DSD (DSF) files,  however they're decimated to 88.2 sample rate via optical out/TOSlink connection with Hugo.  Hugo's light is yellow, not white.  

I've converted some DSF to FLAC, using Sonore DSD2FLAC, to a 176.4 sample rate and I get the white light when playing these FLACs via optical out/TOSlink connection with Hugo. Interesting thing is when I hit pause the light goes from white to a turquoise blue.

I'm still trying to see if this conversion is worth the effort, not sure I hear any significant difference between the two at this point.  Also not sure if Sonore DSD2FLAC does anything to the native DSF file causing any sound degradation.

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,179 of 1,858
  My AK120 Titan will play DSD (DSF) files,  however they're decimated to 88.2 sample rate via optical out/TOSlink connection with Hugo.  Hugo's light is yellow, not white.  

I've converted some DSF to FLAC, using Sonore DSD2FLAC, to a 176.4 sample rate and I get the white light when playing these FLACs via optical out/TOSlink connection with Hugo. Interesting thing is when I hit pause the light goes from white to a turquoise blue.

I'm still trying to see if this conversion is worth the effort, not sure I hear any significant difference between the two at this point.  Also not sure if Sonore DSD2FLAC does anything to the native DSF file causing any sound degradation.

When paused Hugo will interpret it as FLAC 176.4 - Turqouise
There won't be any sound degredation, it is just the DSD file in a Flac wrapper, so the original DSD bit perfect is passed to Hugo - White

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #1,180 of 1,858
New development on the ak120 feeding the Hugo. The AK has now stopped feeding 192 signal to Hugo. Hugo blinks red on sample rate then light goes dark when trying to feed it. Used to work but AK was getting unstable with 192 on both the hp out and optical, fixed it by leaving screen on because only happened when backlight went out. There are others that have reported this too. Now no 192 at all. HP out of AK works fine just no optical signal it seems……Using the Sys optical too.

Edit-the sys concept cable has a crack. I've only had it two months…….bummer. emailed Joseph, hopefully I can get another sent down here. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #1,181 of 1,858
My iPad Air and iPhone 5s have stopped working with my Hugo (and other USB DACs) through the camera connection kit. Current iOS 8.2. Another iPad running 8.1 is still OK, but the Air and phone just throw a "device not supported" message. Both were fine before this. Anybody else having a problem?

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,182 of 1,858
Holy crap. I hate apple they really go out if there way to mess with people
I'll try it on my iPhone 6pkus and iPhone 5. The 6 is on 8.2. The 5 is not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back