Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Mar 19, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #1,156 of 1,858
You could go for CLAS coax out to hugo

I don't think so. I thought once an iPod is Rockboxed it wouldn't function with the iDevice DACs like CLAS, VentureCraft DD, etc since those would speak to the iPod in the IAP protocol.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #1,158 of 1,858

what is a CLAS??

I can just restore the iPod and it can be just like before as well.. so it is possible to unROCkBox it...

but then, I wouldn't be able to listen to FLAC music.... then how about the RWAK-120S????

CLAS - Cypherlabs Algorhythm Solo. It's a DAC but can be also used as a DDC (as proposed by @wsilvio). But again, the CLAS is to support a normal iDevice...not a rockboxed one. With regards to your concern of FLAC, you're right the iPod cannot support FLAC. It can support ALAC (Apple Lossless) instead.

Meanwhile, for the RWAK-120S, if Vinnie has ripped out the 3.5mm Toslink, then you can't use the RWAK-120S. I know he converted the 3.5mm headphone out into a LineOut but what about the optical Toslink portion?

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,159 of 1,858

CLAS - Cypherlabs Algorhythm Solo. It's a DAC but can be also used as a DDC (as proposed by @wsilvio). But again, the CLAS is to support a normal iDevice...not a rockboxed one. With regards to your concern of FLAC, you're right the iPod cannot support FLAC. It can support ALAC (Apple Lossless) instead.

Meanwhile, for the RWAK-120S, if Vinnie has ripped out the 3.5mm Toslink, then you can't use the RWAK-120S. I know he converted the 3.5mm headphone out into a LineOut but what about the optical Toslink portion?

I'm actually not too sure about the RWAK... ummm.. kind of a newbie... 
How about using a LOD to RCA cable?? would that work for connecting the iPod and the hugo?

I should've done my research before I blew my money away... :frowning2:

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,161 of 1,858
Check the redwine audio site. The toslink works even after they have pull a true line out of your ak120 and install two 8741 chips. All u need is to buy a sysconcept toslink cable , email them if u r not sure of what to buy.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,162 of 1,858
Check the redwine audio site. The toslink works even after they have pull a true line out of your ak120 and install two 8741 chips. All u need is to buy a sysconcept toslink cable , email them if u r not sure of what to buy.

THANK YOU for your input!

I will search for that cable.  Very appreciated!

How about any way for the iPod Classic 7th gen.?  Any cable to make it work with the Hugo??

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,163 of 1,858

If this does not work you may well prefer buying fiio dap with toslink out or a modern iDevice because you can cck to the Hugo

Because clas dB has a defined and limited purpose

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #1,164 of 1,858
I was shock to hear Hugo playing DSD through optical (Sys Concept) and AK120II last night. It didn't do that before.
Is this something new?

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,165 of 1,858
I think you will be shocked to know it's not playing dsd
It's not white its a purple white.
Although it does do dsd over optical but the Al does not over optical. Connect it to a usb and play dsd for real and not the Color. And you are not the first to think so.

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #1,166 of 1,858
It plays DoP. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #1,167 of 1,858
Coming from you I be leave you. However i could not find one person who proved it to me or show me how to compile the files to do it. Also I asked for someone to send me link to one file to try. But as I am sure your correct I retract my statement
Thanks

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,168 of 1,858
I will compare dsd playback through optical vs USB when I had time.
This will be interesting.

I like it better to listen to Hugo with crossfeed on as it gives more focus and depth plus punchier bass. Just pure audio yumminess.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,169 of 1,858
Coming from you I be leave you. However i could not find one person who proved it to me or show me how to compile the files to do it. Also I asked for someone to send me link to one file to try. But as I am sure your correct I retract my statement
Thanks

From the Chord site:

In addition to 384kHz PCM files, the Hugo can also process DSD 128 data using the latest DSD-over-PCM standard (DoP). Whether using Mac OS or Windows OS, Chord Electronics' own proprietary driver software is provided, removing the restrictions of current operating system audio playback.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,170 of 1,858

From the Chord site:

In addition to 384kHz PCM files, the Hugo can also process DSD 128 data using the latest DSD-over-PCM standard (DoP). Whether using Mac OS or Windows OS, Chord Electronics' own proprietary driver software is provided, removing the restrictions of current operating system audio playback.

But is DoP possible over Toslink optical? I've only heard sporadic reports of successful DoP over Toslink rather than a consistent success.

I was shock to hear Hugo playing DSD through optical (Sys Concept) and AK120II last night. It didn't do that before.
Is this something new?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back