Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Mar 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #1,126 of 1,858
For the first time I tried connecting my iPhone to Hugo via Bluetooth. Streaming Tidal I was not impressed at all. Listening direct from the phone would have been a lot better. Is this your experience?

I didn't try bluetooth on the Hugo, but, to be fair about this, Rob & John never intended the Bluetooth function to be a full-on hi-fi experience. It was just a convenient bonus feature that Rob considered worthy of inclusion, for its convenience. They have never misled anyone into believing that the Hugo Bluetooth function is for serious audiophile purposes.

That's more a limitation of the limited bandwidth of the protocol than it is a limitation of the DAC capabilities.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,127 of 1,858
I believe the Hugo bluetooth function will accommodate redbook. Don't know what the Iphone or Tidal app was sending. It should still be better than direct if everything was right but that said, ya, a physical connection is always better and I don't know how much jitter the iphone's bluetooth out might have.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,128 of 1,858
Anyone here that got a playlist working in the Onkyo App?

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,129 of 1,858
Anyone here that got a playlist working in the Onkyo App?

Play a song that will be on your playlist. Go to your list of songs, pick another one you want, press and hold, then choose "add to up next". Keep doing this until satisfied, then press the top right corner icon to see your list of songs. Choose "save as playlist" and give your playlist a name.

If you want to add more songs to this playlist, choose the playlist (from the first of five icons at the bottom), start playing a song on it, and then do the same (press and hold, choose add next, add to hearts content, press top right to change screens and save again).

Not very user friendly.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,130 of 1,858
For the first time I tried connecting my iPhone to Hugo via Bluetooth. Streaming Tidal I was not impressed at all. Listening direct from the phone would have been a lot better. Is this your experience?

Bluetooth via hugo in my setup sounds horrible. Playing music from iTunes with wav files is much better than Tidal in my experience.

If you are using bluetoth with tidal with hugo....you are not getting to experience the Hugo's potential...might as well not use hugo.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #1,131 of 1,858
Play a song that will be on your playlist. Go to your list of songs, pick another one you want, press and hold, then choose "add to up next". Keep doing this until satisfied, then press the top right corner icon to see your list of songs. Choose "save as playlist" and give your playlist a name.

If you want to add more songs to this playlist, choose the playlist (from the first of five icons at the bottom), start playing a song on it, and then do the same (press and hold, choose add next, add to hearts content, press top right to change screens and save again).

Not very user friendly.

Yes, it is not really user friendly. But for me it gives the best sound when on the move (like listening to high rez material in my car).
I Will try later this evening, got a 4 hour drive tomorrow :) thanks !

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,132 of 1,858

Not very user friendly.

I've spend many hours searching how to do this and gave up a while ago.

THANK YOU!!!

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,133 of 1,858
I've spend many hours searching how to do this and gave up a while ago.

THANK YOU!!!

No worries my friend. I had to do lots of research myself :) Also whenever you save the playlist after adding songs (editing and deleting songs is okay, though), you can't just overwrite the previous. You have to give a new name everytime. So I keep having to give my playlist new names when I add songs, and delete the old ones...

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,134 of 1,858
Yesterday I tried streaming from Tidal instead of Spotify. Wow, this sounds bloody nice! Especially with the Hugo. I think I will cancel my Spotify describtion and keep using Tidal :p

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,135 of 1,858
  Yesterday I tried streaming from Tidal instead of Spotify. Wow, this sounds bloody nice! Especially with the Hugo. I think I will cancel my Spotify describtion and keep using Tidal :p

Ooft! 20GBP a month? Ouch!
eek.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,136 of 1,858
Well, I had been out of the Head-Fi loop for a while and was feeling somewhat uninspired by my CEntrance M8 - it's a very competent and versatile piece of equipment, but its somewhat flat sound never left me feeling very inspired.  So I decided to check out the current top options for portable DACs, and was trying to decide between the Aurender Flow and the Hugo.  I ended up going with the Hugo because of the lack of reviews of the Flow in comparison to the Hugo, despite Jude's review of the Flow which noted that the Hugo produces hiss with sensitive IEMs.  His opinion almost seemed like an outlier, since I read every professional review I could find and many pages of Head-fi reviews, and only saw a few mentions of the Hugo producing hiss with IEMs.  Indeed - Chris Martens' review of the Hugo even used the UERMs and never mentioned any issue with gain or hiss.

So I was disappointed to plug my UE Reference Monitors into my newly-arrived Hugo and hear a very audible hiss, even with nothing else connected to the Hugo besides my IEMs (and obviously no music playing).  I've had this issue with so many portable amps and iDevice transports that I can't believe there isn't more discussion of this problem.  I know my ears aren't supernaturally sensitive, so I wonder how people can simply discount the added haze that the hiss adds to the music.  

The sound quality I'm getting so far from my Hugo and the UERMs is nice, but it's extremely hard to ignore the muddiness added by the hiss.  Unfortunately, it seems clear to me that the Hugo, like many other DAPs/DACs/amps deemed "portable", were not meant for use with sensitive IEMs - which makes no sense, since IEMs are the most portable headphones out there.  The M8 with the low gain mod had a completely black background with my UERMs, as does my Leckerton UHA-6S (after getting the gain lowered by the manufacturer), but basically every other "portable" unit I've owned had an intolerable level of gain with IEMs - this includes the HM-801, CLAS, Solo -dB, HP-P1, and TTVJ Slim.

I'll keep listening for a few more days, but I may be forced to either sell the Hugo or resign myself to only using it with over-ears.  Right now, I'm just amazed at how this issue wasn't mentioned more frequently in the hundreds of pages of Hugo impressions.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,137 of 1,858
Sympathies, but it's strange. I'm not sure what qualifies as super sensitive IEMs but I've never had any hiss with the following: Shure 846 (and 535), Earsonics EM6 and Velvet, and FitEar Melomane. Transport: AK120 or iPhone 6.
No difference in background between any of those IEMS and my Denon D7000 closed-backs.

People often mention hiss with some amp / IEM combos (e.g. cypherlabs 720 Theorem) bit not often with Hugo and any ear- or headphone.

Could it be faulty?

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,138 of 1,858
Something's amiss.

I also own the Hugo, UERM, and M8 - the Hugo is pretty much silent with the UERM (and UE10) with nothing playing, whether there's a source plugged in or not.  With nothing playing, Hugo's background at max (white) volume is quieter than the M8 at minimum volume.  

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,140 of 1,858
Wow, so I guess this isn't a common problem.  Maybe I'll have to get my unit looked at by Chord.  The hiss is quite loud with my UERMs, I don't have to strain to hear it at all.  The background is definitely nowhere near as black as my M8s were. 

With my UERMs. I also don't have much of a range between a "too soft" volume and a "too loud" volume when using my AK120 as a transport - there is one one volume level where a slight turn of the knob makes the volume jump quite a bit.

Is a low gain mod of the Hugo even possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back