Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,096 of 1,858
hi all head-fiers, i currently have a cayin n6 dap & i am in search for a very good headphone dac/amp which chord hugo is my number #1 selection and number #2 selection is Aurender Flow Portable Headphone Amp & DAC. will chord hugo be more fitting for this cayin n6 dap paired with fostex th900?

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,097 of 1,858
hi all head-fiers, i currently have a cayin n6 dap & i am in search for a very good headphone dac/amp which chord hugo is my number #1 selection and number #2 selection is Aurender Flow Portable Headphone Amp & DAC. will chord hugo be more fitting for this cayin n6 dap paired with fostex th900?

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #1,099 of 1,858

Sound signature wise, N6 and Hugo is similar. For me, Aurender is very warm.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #1,101 of 1,858
  i listen to reggae,hip hop/rap,R&B,dubstep,calypso,reggaeton,pop & jazz.

I haven't heard the Aurender, but I have heard the Hugo, and I can tell you it belts out basslines beautifully hard, (when it's appropriate to the music). Looking at many of your music choices, it might well be a good fit for you.

Please note: I am not saying the Hugo is bass-heavy. It's not. But it hits dynamically hard when appropriate to the music, so basslines can be very satisfying with it.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #1,103 of 1,858
Hi all,

I'm a little late to the party but finally have the Hugo on order 
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking about how I might use this in a portable setting (mostly at work on a desk) and here are my thoughts:

1. Use my current iBasso DX90
    1. I enjoy the DX90 sound (for the money) but hate the interface
    2. I would much rather have something with a better interface
  2. Use my current iPhone 6
    1. With the CCK this initially seemed like the obvious choice although, as you know, there is no way to add an SD card for my music collection.
    2. I looked into the wifi hard drives but they kill your cellular connection so I would miss emails/iMessage etc.
    3. I guess I could buy an iPod touch specifically to use with a wifi hard drive but this seems overkill (and expensive as I'd have to buy a Touch and a wifi hard drive)
  3. Buy a better DAP (to get a better interface)
    1. I really like a touch interface but don't particularly want to spend a fortune on a DAP if most of it won't be used anyway (because the Hugo will be DAC and amp)
  4. Buy an Android phone (or small tablet if possible)
    1. I could buy a half decent phone for around £200 and use the MicroSD from the DX90 to hold all my files
    2. I'm also assuming that there should be some decent software with a good interface (I've seen some mentioned in this thread)
    3. Having weighed up my options this is starting to seem like the best choice

So onto my questions:

Do any of these options have significant audio differences?

Anyone care to recommend a good Android device (doesn't need to be a phone - I won't use it as a phone) to use as a transport.  Something that would fit into the Hugo case would be ideal but still be a decent size.

Are there any better suggestions anyone could come up with?

Many thanks

Craig

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,104 of 1,858
You have some choices but you also need some
Basics that are a must for you to help pic.

iPhone limited storage but easy to use and best sound Ina portible setting
Also no cost as you have one already.
Also a used iPhone 5 64 gig is just as good.
User interface for me is high. Sound quality is high.
And it plays all formats including dsd
Using onkyo hd player.

Android is odd to use not good for me. But has chips to load
Sound is below the iPhone.

Daps I have the hdpr10 nice sound but the iPhone beets and the dap does lock up at times.
And the gui stinks. Optical is best.

I also have a ak240. Great gui and sound perhaps on par with the iPhone or a RS better but debatable
Other days I do not use. But if it's desk why not a cpu desktop usage
Why the portible need

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,105 of 1,858
Hey Craig,
With the Seagate drives you can still connect to the internet through the drive. But you have to set it up on the local wifi network.
Mine works great with ALAC files in 8player, but it doesn't support DSD. It's nice to have a 2TB library. But it's one more battery to charge.

Quote:
  1. Use my current iPhone 6
    1. I looked into the wifi hard drives but they kill your cellular connection so I would miss emails/iMessage etc.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,106 of 1,858
You have some choices but you also need some
Basics that are a must for you to help pic.

iPhone limited storage but easy to use and best sound Ina portible setting
Also no cost as you have one already.
Also a used iPhone 5 64 gig is just as good.
User interface for me is high. Sound quality is high.
And it plays all formats including dsd
Using onkyo hd player.

Android is odd to use not good for me. But has chips to load
Sound is below the iPhone.

Daps I have the hdpr10 nice sound but the iPhone beets and the dap does lock up at times.
And the gui stinks. Optical is best.

I also have a ak240. Great gui and sound perhaps on par with the iPhone or a RS better but debatable
Other days I do not use. But if it's desk why not a cpu desktop usage
Why the portible need

Thanks for those thoughts.  I never used to like Android but after a recent fling with a Note 3 I have grown quite fond of it.  Why do you think the sound is worse out of Android btw?

I will actually re-think the desktop scenario through - thanks for making me re-consider it.  It's a work laptop though and isn't the most powerful in the world.  Could work though perhaps ...

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #1,107 of 1,858
Hey Craig,
With the Seagate drives you can still connect to the internet through the drive. But you have to set it up on the local wifi network.
Mine works great with ALAC files in 8player, but it doesn't support DSD. It's nice to have a 2TB library. But it's one more battery to charge.

Thanks Sam.  I had read about the pass-through wifi facility which is a very nice feature.  My problem is though that at work I don't have local wifi so I still need cellular connectivity (which cannot be passed through like wifi).

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #1,108 of 1,858

Quote:
  Hi MannP, You owe me nothing other than just enjoying listening to your new found set up as we are all here for one another for the same reason as we are all head techno geeks.  

A1) I have not got that far yet as I have yet to get a case for mine, which will come at a later date, rather spend it on a usb cable first as I have a make shift Oakley M-frame transport case to house it for now.  

A2) I personally if they start to come up on ebay in the future would be the sound I have in my home system and they now do a usb cable version of it which is the Chord Company "Indigo" usb they now do but new price will not be justified (ultra high, 2/3 of Hugo price!) unless maybe you are in a hardcore speaker setup that cost as much as a Virgin Galactic space plane venture.  For now I am also on the look out for a reasonable costing cable that will improve on the supplied stock usb cable.  I am interested in maybe Chords lower models or Van Den hul, or maybe any well recommended botique made usb cables from other Hugo owners.  

A3) That would be great but don't see that happening unless it is from a modder who is in to that sort of thing who can pull it off somehow. 

A4) I am not to worried as although they look like they are floating fragile disasters waiting to happen they do feel pretty secure to the feel when attaching a cable and would not let this fear of it snapping off deter you from getting the best direct route for the SQ. Just enjoy and worry about if it did snaps when it happens!  This is why we all have to buy a back up Hugo!! yiks. 

A5) Nice idea, maybe something that could be refined on the Hugo 2 along with the usb slots and other input holes been further improved with experience of user feedbacks. 

Anyway, hope you are in heaven with this set up, groovy K10 colour scheme, very hey man, lets get psychedelic! I finally now have my Hugo and a rather large hole on my wallet about the size of a Hugo and have to say it was worth the wait and outlay (got mine 2nd hand few months old  for a reasonable price - was only used as dac only in hi-fi speaker setup). 

Since I had the chance of the week long demo of one a few months back I have pined for a Hugo as nothing sounding as good without it and knew this was the one with what it had to other in terms of multi uses in this little box was a lot of answers been answered in what I wanted in a head/amp dac. I never thought I would be able to say my desktop amp/dac and my portable amp/dac was the one and same device.  I know it is not truly portable like a normal portable amp would be and would not use it like that, but to be able to take this on a plane, train to hotels on your travels is a nice thought as well as have it not take up all of my coffee table beside my arm chair where my head-fi domain resides.  

Just love the effortless perfect timing, tempo, non coloured realistic sounding tonal images of instruments the hugo delivers to name only a few of it's stand out characteristics.  Will pm you soon MannP as I am currently juggling and multitasking! And the wife says blokes can't do that!

No problem about a beer FortisFlyer75, i am very happy with my setup (except the ZX1 output to the Hugo grrh)

I bought some Chord Chameleon VEE3 Phono's to connect to my home system and cannot for the life of me hear the difference, so a standard usb cable is on hold for me.

If only I could find a wmport to micro usb and I would be in heaven.

Hope you are still enjoying your setup.

Work taken over for me and been out of the loop the past months.

1) if anyone can find a right-angled one it will be 'Seeteeyou', he's better than a bloodhound at sniffing out gear.

2) pass

3) hahaha this is Sony you're talking about, dream on.

4) is there such a cable?

5) I have prototype case which was given to me by JF so a bit different to yours, though I do have a simple solution for you... take the 'case, lead & Hugo' to your local shoe-repairer as they'll have the right tools to punch a hole though the leather exactly where you want it, simples.

That's certainly true OK-Guy, Seeteeyou has showed some possible options, but I am not sure if they work for the ZX1 to Hugo?

This one looks the ticket -> http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-4116195291.90.YKaDjm&id=36670547442

But does it work and will they ship to the uk.

As an aside, I went to Bristol show on Saturday and spoke to Sony, who frankly did not seem to have thought about connecting the ZX1 to anything else, so cables were not even on their radar! Staggering to be honest; especially when they realised you couldn't even connect the ZX1 to their new Hires audio stuff they were showing off at the show.
deadhorse.gif

Made the mistake of connecting the AK120II via optical to my Hugo....why didn't Sony just do the optical connection thing <sigh>

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,109 of 1,858
Any body got a recommendation for a micro USB cable that fits snugly in the Hugo for use with an Apple CCK?  The stock is loose in the connector, a slight knock will interrupt the signal.

Is the Audioquest Forrest cable any good for example?

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,110 of 1,858
  Any body got a recommendation for a micro USB cable that fits snugly in the Hugo for use with an Apple CCK?  The stock is loose in the connector, a slight knock will interrupt the signal.

Is the Audioquest Forrest cable any good for example?

I dont think any of the audioquest will fit the hugo unfortunately. The only one i know is from moon audio silver dragon...and has a solid connection. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back