Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,186 of 1,858
If that CCK were not purchased from Apple directly, maybe someone tried to sell you "genuine" CCK but that turned out to be "Genuine Imitation" CCK instead.

Authentication chips are found inside the Lightning connectors and fake ones might not work after iOS is updated.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,187 of 1,858
Here no problems with the iPhone 6 on iOS 8.2 and the original Apple CCK paired with the Hugo. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,188 of 1,858
  I don't hear background noise from the Hugo with the UERM using the HiRes USB from a macbook pro. The best way to test the device is to pause it the music and play with the volume control. If you hear anything the device is noisy. Otherwise it's just tape hiss that's in the recording, that of course no device will remove.
Just to double check I created some digital silence in Audacity and turned the volume all the way up to fully test this theory. Nothing. My UERM's are not as sensitive as yours or my Hugo doesn't exhibit the same behavior. Would you like me to share my digital silence file?
My Hugo is from the very first batch. 

I don't understand how other people are hearing things so differently from me.  As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I hear the hiss even when the volume is all the way down, no music is playing, and nothing is plugged into any of the outputs.

I've tried both the stock cable and my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to see if there is much of a difference - the hiss seems slightly softer with the stock cable, but it's still definitely there.  

As others have mentioned, the UERM is not a particularly sensitive headphone, so it stands to reason that the Hugo wasn't made with most IEMs in mind.  I do like the fact that there are at least a few slight turns of the volume knob before it gets too loud with most sources, which is more than I can say for most portable amps I've heard.

I've used the "lineout" to my Leckerton amp, which eliminates the hiss, but the sound doesn't seem as crisp or as immediate as the Hugo's amp.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,189 of 1,858
  New development on the ak120 feeding the Hugo. The AK has now stopped feeding 192 signal to Hugo. Hugo blinks red on sample rate then light goes dark when trying to feed it. Used to work but AK was getting unstable with 192 on both the hp out and optical, fixed it by leaving screen on because only happened when backlight went out. There are others that have reported this too. Now no 192 at all. HP out of AK works fine just no optical signal it seems……Using the Sys optical too.

Edit-the sys concept cable has a crack. I've only had it two months…….bummer. emailed Joseph, hopefully I can get another sent down here. 

Sadly, I've been experiencing this problem too.  On occasion, with both 192khz and 176khz music playing from my AK120 (MK1), the music will cut out intermittently, or just not play at all even though the AK120 clearly shows the song progressing.  

When this happens, I turn the Hugo off and charge it for a while, even though the battery is far from low.  After doing this, I'm usually able to get 192/172khz music playing again for a while, until the problem randomly appears again.

Is Chord aware of this problem?  Is there a firmware fix possible for this?  Definitely not what you'd like to see in a $2500 piece of equipment that's been out for over a year...

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,191 of 1,858
Hmm, unfortunately I don't have another optical-to-mini cable to try to see if that is the culprit.  How do you know the cutouts were being caused by the AK120, and what was your fix?

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #1,194 of 1,858
Do you guys think that attaching the Chord hugo to the Schiit ragnarok is a good idea? I'm looking to put together an affordable desktop rig, and I'm wodering if this is a good setup. If not, can anyone make suggestions as to a better dac/amp in the under $4000 price range? Thanks. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,195 of 1,858
The Hugo is a good DAC witha good amp,inside.
Why do you want another amp ? And for what headphones ?

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,196 of 1,858

I don't understand how other people are hearing things so differently from me.  As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I hear the hiss even when the volume is all the way down, no music is playing, and nothing is plugged into any of the outputs.

I've tried both the stock cable and my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to see if there is much of a difference - the hiss seems slightly softer with the stock cable, but it's still definitely there.  

As others have mentioned, the UERM is not a particularly sensitive headphone, so it stands to reason that the Hugo wasn't made with most IEMs in mind.  I do like the fact that there are at least a few slight turns of the volume knob before it gets too loud with most sources, which is more than I can say for most portable amps I've heard.

I've used the "lineout" to my Leckerton amp, which eliminates the hiss, but the sound doesn't seem as crisp or as immediate as the Hugo's amp.

I'm with you, there is a noticeable hiss with my Noble K10s straight out of the Hugo, much more than straight out of the iPhone 6.  Even with the noise floor being audible, the K10s straight out of the Hugo are delightful.  This hiss is eliminated when fed through my V200 on -12dB pre-gain.  The Hugo + V200 + K10 combination is stellar, but portable, not so much.
  Do you guys think that attaching the Chord hugo to the Schiit ragnarok is a good idea? I'm looking to put together an affordable desktop rig, and I'm wodering if this is a good setup. If not, can anyone make suggestions as to a better dac/amp in the under $4000 price range? Thanks. 

Man, I've been thinking about doing this too!  We should check out the main Hugo thread for this.  

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,198 of 1,858

Anyone have issues with the RCA phono jacks getting loose?

Is there a quick fix without having to send this back to Chord?

Do you mean the way they are fitting to your cables or are they coming away from the main board?
I find a fair amount of play in the coax, but the RCA outs are much firmer.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,199 of 1,858
  Do you mean the way they are fitting to your cables or are they coming away from the main board?
I find a fair amount of play in the coax, but the RCA outs are much firmer.

RCA jacks are getting pulled out from the board. There's a bit of give.  

They weren't like this brand new out of the box.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,200 of 1,858
Yes. My coax is the one in constant use, so that is exhibiting the same symptoms as your RCAs. Mine are still quite firm as they don't get a l;ot of use. The headphone jacks feel solid (especially the full size one), but the USB connectotrs have received a lot of comment in these threads.
I use a right angle adapter with the coax to try and offer some protection on the go, but it is certainly something to keep a close eye on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back