Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,217 of 1,858

The Hugo sounds best in the evenings! Not a morning machine - I don't know why ...

Maybe you need some tuning dots or the gravitational effect of the moon is influencing it (or perhaps it is your mental sarpness/fatigue), I lean highly towards it being a perception issue with you and not the HUGO

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #1,219 of 1,858

What's the point? As it is most daps (Sony excepted) will considerably outlast the Hugo when used as portable transport.

I think you'll find the new ZX2 will outlast the Hugo 'on the go' and I have absolutely no worries with the new Walkman-Dock which is a absolute boon with the Hugo, I can run my Walkman 24/7 with that, I'll get some photo's done next week... the Dock also fits the ZX1.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,220 of 1,858
Hello,

I just received my Hugo about a week ago.  I've been listening using my Shure 846 in ears, and my Dennon AH-D 7000's.   Most albums sound fantastic...better than I've ever heard, but on a few I'm hearing something weird.  Now I know that distortion and various instrument effects are used on rock albums to give them some grit, but are these things used on vocals too?  I sometimes hear the vocal track break up or clip...like during the recording process they pinned the levels and blew out the track.  Thinking I was feeding the Hugo too hot of a signal, I turned down the gain on the signal from my computer...it did nothing but make the crackling softer.  

So am I just hearing something on vocal tracks that I've never heard before, be it bad recordings or intentional effects, or is my Hugo messed up?  Any one ever experience this?

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #1,221 of 1,858
A lot of pop songs hard clip, so you are just hearing what is there. If you process the offending track through Audacity, you can see it clipping - I actually use one popular track to test power amps, and the hard clipping is longer than 10 mS!

You can easily hear these problems with Hugo, and this is one reason why Hugo is gaining traction in pro-audio - one recording engineer told me that Hugo tells him exactly what is wrong technically with the recording, but also what is right musically! Its really weird seeing tiny Hugo being used in mastering with six figure $'s of recording equipment!

Rob

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #1,222 of 1,858
For those who are interested the issue has been resolved, with Xperia Z devices giving static noise instead of sound when connected via apt-x to the Hugo,

Upgrading my devices to Sony Lollipop builds allowed them to connect to my Hugo with apt-x and play correctly, where on 4.4.4 they would not.

Hopefully this is the case for others too :)

Apologies for cross posting, but I also made the post in the Hugo thread too.

Cheers

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,223 of 1,858
here's a good article about Chord and the Hugo featuring John & Rob, nice little bit about Ed Sheeran, link:

http://www.stereo.net.au/articles/an-afternoon-with-chord-electronics/

in the next few weeks Chord will be making a few announcements that I'm sure Head-Fi'ers will find interesting (not product related), so keep an eye on the Chord's sponsor-page...
tongue_smile.gif

I would say more but you know the coo... legs, walking and all that malarkey...
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #1,224 of 1,858
  in the next few weeks Chord will be making a few announcements that I'm sure Head-Fi'ers will find interesting (not product related), so keep an eye on the Chord's sponsor-page...
tongue_smile.gif

Free upgrades to all from Hugo to TT?

Edit: That was a very interesting read on stereo.net.au.  Thanks for posting 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,225 of 1,858

​
 ​
Shanghai International High-End HiFi Show (SIAV 2015) 
 ​
Date: 24th - 26th April 2015​
 ​
Venue: SIAV 2015​
             Shanghai International Exhibition and Convention Center​
             2727Riverside Avenue, Puddong​
Shanghai, China.​
 ​
Booth number - 5T02
 ​
Dita Audio (China) will be hosting Chord Electronics at the upcoming SIAV event - John Franks will be unveiling and presenting the Chord Hugo TT on Saturday 25th, also on display will be the Hugo and 2Cute with a multitude of differend sources.
 ​
(keeping with the 'portable' theme of the thread I included a map on how to walk/get there)​
 ​

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,226 of 1,858
Hello all.

Can anybody share their experiences with the chord hugo mobile dac amp please?

I'm planning on comparing with my macbook pro DAC and o2 with my Audeze x's.

How much of a difference should I really expect?

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,228 of 1,858
  Hello all.

Can anybody share their experiences with the chord hugo mobile dac amp please?

I'm planning on comparing with my macbook pro DAC and o2 with my Audeze x's.

How much of a difference should I really expect?

I am not sure of this helps but at a meet a month or so ago I got some time with a Hugo and some LCD-2 , 3, Alpha Prime and Fostex TH900 and all sounded heavenly IMHO. For me a hugo and LCD xx or Fostex 900 would be endgame.

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #1,230 of 1,858
Do you know if it's an actual full release of another colored version, a mockup, or a different colored limited edition of the Hugo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back