Chord Electronics - The Shard Event
Oct 12, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #271 of 481
Congrats to Andrew for the win! I'm glad for you.

I think output impedance is incorrect, it should be 0.7h ohm not 75 ohm. 

It says 75m Ohms (= 75 milliohms; the denomination is indead misleading). The same as the Hugo.

From what I can see and guess from the pics, I just realized that the Mojo doesn't have the crossfeed feature. That's almost a deal-breaker for me. I use the Hugo crossfeed at red usually for 70~80 percent of my recordings and unless the new Mojo has the crossfeed automatically set at what red is like on the Hugo or I missed it, it would be hard to live without the crossfeed. We'll see I guess.

Yes, it would be a shame (luckily all of my recordings are already crossfeeded). But I can't imagine Rob would renounce this feature with a perfectionist portable DAC/amp meant for the use with headphones/earphones exclusively.

So contrary to my expectations the mystery new product is something that could be of interest for me – but do I really need it? I'm perfectly happy with my now portable system.

However, I wonder why it's been announced as a «game changer», «revolutionary» and Chord's «biggest product lounch ever». I'm not disappointed at all, just wonder about the superlatives which seem a bit off.

Well, there's also the DAVE – another new Chord product I'm interested in, maybe even more.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #272 of 481
  However, I wonder why it's been announced as a «game changer», «revolutionary» and Chord's «biggest product lunch ever». I'm not disappointed at all, just wonder about the superlatives which seem a bit off.

Hey, it's eight courses, how much more do you need?
wink.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. I hope you will give it a listen, JaZZ. It's always interesting to read your thoughts.
beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #273 of 481
I think what makes mojo attractive is the ability to be paired to anything and it is the only device of its size which decodes based on similar standard people got to know hugo.

If you look at the image it is considerably smaller than HUGO, it can be charged using USB device so it can be taken anywhere you can take your recharge packs. I look forward to pairing it with the walkman A16. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #274 of 481
If you look at the image it is considerably smaller than HUGO, it can be charged using USB device so it can be taken anywhere you can take your recharge packs. I look forward to pairing it with the walkman A16. 

That might actually be one of its biggest virtues. It always bothered me about the Hugo. Now, if only my ZX-1 would not be drained so fast as well running into an amp, I might be in mobile heaven.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #275 of 481

However, I wonder why it's been announced as a «game changer», «revolutionary» and Chord's «biggest product lunch ever». I'm not disappointed at all, just wonder about the superlatives which seem a bit off.

Hey, it's eight courses, how much more do you need?
wink.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. I hope you will give it a listen, JaZZ. It's always interesting to read your thoughts.
beerchug.gif

No need to resist, Mr. Editor! But the «biggest product lounch ever» could indeed mean the event itself, not the product(s). That would make sense. So what's still lacking is the revolution and the game change. Let's get surprised!

Of course I'll give the Mojo an audition – at least.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #276 of 481
The new xilinx artix chip:
http://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/artix-7.html

There are many variants of the fpga and the product brief pdf from documentations section states the artix is 2x the power of spartan-6, and 50% more efficient in power consumption, i am sure that is referenced to the top spec artix, yet people must be wondering.

Will this means:
More fpga programming taps count on mojo than hugo?

Longer battery life?(probably not, considering the almost 1/4 size from hugo)

And ultimately, will it have better SQ than hugo?

I just bought the hugo last month and probably will get the mojo if it is at least as good as the hugo, and probably sell off the hugo quickly before it drops too much in price. A bit pissed to be honest, but on the other side, happy for the pricing of mojo for the masses who considered hugo before and havent pulled the trigger.

Just by the mojo's thd+n spec alone seems that it will be a monster in sound quality with a very reasonable pricetag. This thing will sell very very well.

Edit: just did a quick check, hugo thd @3v= 0.0005% , mojo : @3v=0.00015%. By that alone, looks like the mojo will indeed sound better than its bigger brother.

Edit 2: by sound better i mean sound cleaner, less noise, and more transparent. Not necessarily overall better. Will report back once i have audition it very soon, cheers

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #277 of 481
  That might actually be one of its biggest virtues. It always bothered me about the Hugo. Now, if only my ZX-1 would not be drained so fast as well running into an amp, I might be in mobile heaven.

I need to check the A16 walkman battery with HUGO. You know the ZX-100 is out soon which has 128 GB onboard and can take 200 GB microSD card. If all goes well I dont see any possible combination ever been able to compete against this setup for a long time. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #278 of 481
I need to check the A16 walkman battery with HUGO. You know the ZX-100 us out soon which has 128 GB onboard and can take 200 GB microSD card. If all goes well I dont see any possible combination ever been able to compete against this setup for a long time. 

Just checked for a17, battery power via digital out is only 8 hrs. Not good

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #279 of 481
  I need to check the A16 walkman battery with HUGO. You know the ZX-100 us out soon which has 128 GB onboard and can take 200 GB microSD card. If all goes well I dont see any possible combination ever been able to compete against this setup for a long time. 

Haha, oh my God, no, I didn't know that! Either noone posted this in the ZX-1 thread yet, or I have somehow manged to miss it (unlikely). Thanks for letting me know. I skipped the ZX-2 (mostly due to its comparatively cheap looks and because my ZX-1 was still good enough), and I think I'm glad I did! This sounds like a real winner. And from a quick look they steered away from the recessed buttons and brought the brushed alumium look back. Oh joy! What a wonderful day today is! What strange, but often wonderful times we live in! How beautiful this life is!

Now, excuse me, I have some 55 pages of reading up to do ...

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #280 of 481
Ah man, why not just develop a DAP. Really carrying around two or three components in a pouch linked with cables? On the go? Not convenient whatever the size.

Anyways, I know some people like these solutions, but if you are going to have the best technology on the planet, like Chord does, if Hugo is an example of what they can do, why would opt for such designs? My wife just laughed out loud when seeing it. I was just sad. Just look at the Alo CDM, or at the AK DAPs...now these objects entail desire. Why, oh why this playschool design.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a waste IMHO.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #281 of 481
I'm guessing the Bluebird Music people got in a bit of hot water over this, and if you look the link now goes to a page that says "Mojo - Test - test 2". Looks like they let the cat (or in this case the bird) out of the bag. Always seems to be the retailers that let things slip in these cases. Will be interesting if they kill the HF thread already created on the Mojo as well. Cheers

Update a little while later - now that webpage doesn't say anything on it! 

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #283 of 481
Did Bluebird kill Chords Mojo?

Bluebird probably decided (or was told) to hide it in the cellar (again) for a couple of days...

tumblr_mevkgfuog71rbtidq.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #285 of 481
We will know in a couple of days.

But if Mojo is really the "game changer" product Chord has been trying to build up suspense, and unveil it in the Shard event... Too bad for us Head-Fiers in this thread.

Looking at the bright side 99.9999...% of the world is still unaware of the Mojo.

P.S. Still hoping for a Chord DAP :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back