Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Nov 12, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #4,426 of 6,736
Probably a silly question but something I can’t figure out and has me confused.

How do I use a Bluesound Node 2i with the Qutest via coax to the BNC ports? Is there a special adapter needed?

Right now I’m using optical but I was curious to try coaxial as well, I’m just unfamiliar with “BNC” ...

Thanks!

You will need a coax to bnc adaptor in order to use your coax cable.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #4,427 of 6,736
Probably a silly question but something I can’t figure out and has me confused.

How do I use a Bluesound Node 2i with the Qutest via coax to the BNC ports? Is there a special adapter needed?

Right now I’m using optical but I was curious to try coaxial as well, I’m just unfamiliar with “BNC” ...

Thanks!

if you have bnc at both ends of the cable then a simple converter like this will sort you out at the Node 2i end.

4 x BNC FEMALE TO RCA PHONO MALE CONNECTORS CCTV CABLE DVR https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DUEDDLG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_FVWYDbJK6G69N

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #4,428 of 6,736
https://darko.audio/the-darko-dac-index/

According to darko.audio, Qutest is also ranked higher.

I just had a look at that list and I would take it with a huge grain of salt. If the Mojo is in division 2, then the stuff in division 5 and below must be really really bad... I think you have to try these for yourself rather than believe such a list.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #4,429 of 6,736
I just received a notice that The Cable Company has added the Hugo TT2 and M Scaler to their lending library. This could be a way to have an in house demo if you don't have a Chord dealer in your area. 5% is the non refundable deposit good for any purchase.
I have no affiliation with the Cable Co.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #4,430 of 6,736
I just had a look at that list and I would take it with a huge grain of salt. If the Mojo is in division 2, then the stuff in division 5 and below must be really really bad... I think you have to try these for yourself rather than believe such a list.
Yes i agree. The use of the phrase 'subjective value quotient' means that Darko's ranking will be contested, by virtually everyone else, because everyone is almost guaranteed to allocate different values for some of the subjective criteria. Maybe that achieves Darko's goal, of getting a lot of readers so annoyed by the rankings, that they click links and generate advertising income for him.

I am surprised that for the Premier League, the Hugo2 is ranked equal with the DAVE, although it certainly represents good value for money.
Unfortunately the ranking excludes the TT2, because it would be interesting to see whether he ranked it higher than the Hugo2.

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #4,431 of 6,736
First post! Hi! My set-up is ; Qobus>IpadPro 10.5 ,512gb>cca>supra usb>Qutest>Beyerdynamic A20>Hd800&650. Using the 2 V out from Qutest. Qutest replaced my old Dac-magic 100 and Aune dac/amp combo. Not yet tried the 3 V .Did 1 V. Killed the 800, no bass, anemic. Fine with the 650 at very low listening levels. Will oc test it with 3 V op. With highres clasical recording will prob be exelent, but will prob clipp? Listening to King Crimson 44.1 by Qutest vs Dac- magic 100 with same amp(a20) is a for me huge diference. My question is; Whitch se st amp will make a solide improvement under 2 k?

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #4,432 of 6,736
First post! Hi! My set-up is ; Qobus>IpadPro 10.5 ,512gb>cca>supra usb>Qutest>Beyerdynamic A20>Hd800&650. Using the 2 V out from Qutest. Qutest replaced my old Dac-magic 100 and Aune dac/amp combo. Not yet tried the 3 V .Did 1 V. Killed the 800, no bass, anemic. Fine with the 650 at very low listening levels. Will oc test it with 3 V op. With highres clasical recording will prob be exelent, but will prob clipp? Listening to King Crimson 44.1 by Qutest vs Dac- magic 100 with same amp(a20) is a for me huge diference. My question is; Whitch se st amp will make a solide improvement under 2 k?

sell Qutest and Beyerdynamic A20 and buy Hugo TT2

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4,434 of 6,736
I have similar setup however my amp is the beyerdynamic a20 and headphones the beyerdynamic t1 g2. I believe the beyerdynamic amps all seem to add compression to the sound to kind of balance out all low middle and high gains, this is why they are popular with mastering.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #4,436 of 6,736
Yea, afraid something like the v200 will make no improvment in my set up. TT2 I am sure will.
A different amp with the Qutest could be an improvement, but not as much as the TT2. IMO in your case the V200 would just bring a different taste. I used Qutest with CMA600i and Taurus MKII. The Taurus was a clear improvement in clarity and bass/treble extension, authority to the 600i. Still, my TT2 is on another level compared to both these Qutest combos.
I tried the Taurus with the TT2 too just out of curiosity and I found it was just degrading the sound, killing transparency, balance and resolution (added distortion).
Go for TT2 if you can afford it. It was a relatively big investment for me too, but keeping TT2 as my DAC/amp for headphone listening for the years to come might actually be a more budget conscious decision instead of buying and selling other DACs and amps in the 1-2K category.
Up to 4K it doesn't really get better than the TT2.

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #4,437 of 6,736
A different amp with the Qutest could be an improvement, but not as much as the TT2. IMO in your case the V200 would just bring a different taste. I used Qutest with CMA600i and Taurus MKII. The Taurus was a clear improvement in clarity and bass/treble extension, authority to the 600i. Still, my TT2 is on another level compared to both these Qutest combos.
I tried the Taurus with the TT2 too just out of curiosity and I found it was just degrading the sound, killing transparency, balance and resolution (added distortion).
Go for TT2 if you can afford it. It was a relatively big investment for me too, but keeping TT2 as my DAC/amp for headphone listening for the years to come might actually be a more budget conscious decision instead of buying and selling other DACs and amps in the 1-2K category.
Up to 4K it doesn't really get better than the TT2.
Agree, TT2 will be my next dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back