Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 19, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #4,066 of 6,736
Question: 2 months ago I purchased new Qutest and now got brand new M-Scaler as well.
I did dual BNC connection and with OP SR white(max) I had GREEN INPUT light on my BNC1 or BNC2.
The colour in the window seems to be right(cyan). Is it ok colour for Qutest bnc INPUTS with scaler?
I had no blue colour at all but my Qutest manual didn't mention it (by online manual of Chord website - the colour must be blue) .
If I change OP SR(not max sampling) my bnc inputs change to white.

I'm not sure I understood your question, but when connected properly with M-Scaler, Qutest's "Input" LED color should be showing blue.

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #4,068 of 6,736
Yes - this was the question. In my (very new) Qutest input LED was green for max sampling rate and white for other. No blue at all.
And blue colour wasn't documented in my user manual.

Perhaps you may want to recheck that you've properly connected BNC output 1 & 2 from the M-Scaler (as there are several BNC connectors on M-Scaler).

If the connection is correct and you're looking at the right LED (on the input selector, NOT the colors shown in the viewing glass), you may want to contact your local dealer.

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #4,069 of 6,736
For guys using CDs:

Are you using the green filter on CDs that are mainly late Japanese remasters or CDs that are 2000s and after?I find many of these sounding bright-among other sound quality problems...

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #4,070 of 6,736
I recently purchased the hifiberry digi+ hooked up to the chord qutest with a optical cable.
Now it plays 24bit 192khz, but what i do not understand i tried a dsd file which played back and the light on the qutest turned white.
I thought the optical standard was only 24/196khz.

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #4,072 of 6,736
Now it plays 24bit 192khz, but what i do not understand i tried a dsd file which played back and the light on the qutest turned white.
I thought the optical standard was only 24/196khz.

If you're referring to the color shown in the viewing glass, white simply means it detected DSD file as an input (regardless of the sample rate).

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #4,074 of 6,736
Question: 2 months ago I purchased new Qutest and now got brand new M-Scaler as well.
I did dual BNC connection and with OP SR white(max) I had GREEN INPUT light on my BNC1 or BNC2.
The colour in the window seems to be right(cyan). Is it ok colour for Qutest bnc INPUTS with scaler?
I had no blue colour at all but my Qutest manual didn't mention it (by online manual of Chord website - the colour must be blue) .
If I change OP SR(not max sampling) my bnc inputs change to white.

For my case, the colour of the right-hand is mixture of blue + green for dual BNCs.

If I removes any of the BNC, i.e. single BNC, the colour of the right-hand is light (tea + yellow) :wink:

correct or not, I don't know! :wink:

Jul 21, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #4,075 of 6,736
So after further listening tests with same usb cable and Nova optical there are differences between optical sources, the xmos U8 with golden TCXO clocks, and the smsl x-usb u208. The differences are there, and frankly I don't know which one I like more.

The question is what changes the sound between them, since cables are the same, what can it be? I see they have different clocks, do they influence the optical toslink in any way? Or are the clocks there for the coaxial out only? Maybe its just the different xmos chips that makes them not soundalike or optical connectors on each. If the clocks make the difference then its easy, we look for the best clocks to chose the best optical source, wonder if the PC motherboard has any clocks at all or if it needs any. If PC optical doesn't have any clocks maybe thats the best since anything in the path of audio adds its own noise.

I know I'm nitpicking here, the differences are small and maybe unimportant for most, but I like to do tests and choose the sound I like best.

Jul 23, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #4,077 of 6,736
So since I have the Qutest I had a problem with powering it. The stock psu is a EMI/RFI generating monster, like all swithing power supplies. Noise was coming through my PC, monitors, amp and even headphone wires. No idea if this extra noise has any effect on sound or not, but for me it was annoying. Powering directly from PC's usb port everything was silent. Didn't have this issue with DAVE, everything was silent. I see some had some complaints on the TT2 forum aswell with feeling tingling by touching the case.

I got an Ifi iPower 5v to see if its better then the stock psu, but it had the same noise. I even considered buying a hifi pci e card to power Qutest, since this issue bothered me so much.

Even the power bank battery had EMI/RFI injected into Qutest. Until, by random testing, I introduced the battery with charing usb to PC's port, and behold, all the noise was gone. I guess it all went to the ground. That got me thinking that if I can somehow ground Qutest all the noise will go away.

And I've found the solution, it's called iFi Audio- Groundhog. Connected to the Ifi iPower 5v all the EMI/RFI is gone. Everything is silent as it was with DAVE. Don't know if this will work with stock PSU, needs an adapter, or if this will also work with TT2.

Such a cheap solution to a problem that I don't know if it affects sound quality or not, but for me it was bothersome. Will attach a picture to see how its connected, Ifi iPower 5v comes with an adapter DC jack to micro, the groundhog is between DC in and the adapter.

IMG_4178.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #4,080 of 6,736
The Audioquest Diamond Optical Toslink arrived. I got gobsmacked so hard... I can't even... Will post a comparison with Diamond USB and other optical cables later. Need to recover from this awe.

yea, after you move out from USB with good SPDIF realization (source and cable), you will never look back. USB in the present realization for HiFi.. is a real compromise (to not say worse)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back