Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 5, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #3,736 of 6,750
I've not done this yet obviously, but yes that would be my next move. I personally don't think the increased tap count is the major contributor to improved SQ, but having a better quality analogue stage with shortest possible path to output is.
Also the TT2 can drive speakers directly with XLR to speaker wire adaptor. I ran Monitor Audio Silver 10s straight from TT2 XLRs (diy cable) and got lovely sound at reasonable (not chest thumping) volume. The MA's are spec'ed at 4ohm and 90db sensitivity. TT2 I think gives 18watts into 8ohm via XLR, so you can roughly double that into 4ohm.

May 5, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #3,738 of 6,750
one of the reason i see is the price difference in UK and US. In UK you can buy it for ~$1300 and if you have a good relation with some dealers then may be lesser and over here it is available for 1800+.
So some are trying to make a few bucks by selling it in US for say 1500 or 1400.

May 5, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #3,739 of 6,750
Yeah, that Sharp has some issues with jitter! Still, not a bad first attempt given all that was praised about it 20 years ago. As the Munich presentation noted. In the 90s, Sharp created a dedicated ASIC to implement this "new" technology.
It's curious how the HiFi Munich 2018 presentation on DSD amps (see prev. post), made no mention of other direct-digital amps such as TacT or NAD or DDFA -- it was only Andrus Aaslaid, speaking about orig. Sharp and his new Estelon direct-digital speaker.

Speaking of "direct-digital" ....
Mr Watts, is this what your Pulse-Array d/a conversion is based on? That is, a digital stream is fed into the P-A fpga's that can drive amps "directly" (apart from the simple output R-C filter immediately following)?

DDFA did not use pulse array as it is a PWM switching output... My pulse array DACs are linear outputs, and the feedback loop with pulse array DACs is analogue only.

May 8, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #3,740 of 6,750
Is anyone else using Qutest as your main DAC in your speaker system?

As good as Qutest sounds with my HEKse/Milo it has paid equal or greater dividends with my Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers that are driven by a Peachtree Nova 220se amp. The Peachtree is solid state amp, but leans towards warmth and the Martin Logans are very musical. Mix in the clean, detailed, transparent Qutest and I've achieved great synergy amongst the components!

Curious what speaker/amp combos everyone else is enjoying with their Qutest.

May 8, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #3,741 of 6,750

As good as Qutest sounds with my HEKse/Milo it has paid equal or greater dividends with my Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers that are driven by a Peachtree Nova 220se amp. The Peachtree is solid state amp, but leans towards warmth and the Martin Logans are very musical. Mix in the clean, detailed, transparent Qutest and I've achieved great synergy amongst the components!

Exposure 3010S2 power amp with passive preamp and Epos M15 speakers.CD playback only.The room is treated and dedicated listening room.

The system is highly musical and extremely revealing.This has it's cons though,because you don't enjoy badly mastered albums!And they are more than you think...

May 8, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #3,742 of 6,750
Leben CS300XS integrated amp driving the Omega Super Alnico Monitors for me
Also have the Uptone JS-2 powering the SMS-200 and Qutest, with a power conditioner

Lightly treated with bass traps only, do intend to add diffuser panels and a rug
Sounds more than decent if I am honest :ksc75smile:

May 8, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #3,743 of 6,750
Leben CS300XS integrated amp driving the Omega Super Alnico Monitors for me
Also have the Uptone JS-2 powering the SMS-200 and Qutest, with a power conditioner

Lightly treated with bass traps only, do intend to add diffuser panels and a rug
Sounds more than decent if I am honest :ksc75smile:

Hail to the JS-2!
One point to consider is that powering two devices from the JS-2 defeats the galvanic isolation and could be creating a noise loop. Check with uptone to confirm.

May 8, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #3,744 of 6,750
Hail to the JS-2!
One point to consider is that powering two devices from the JS-2 defeats the galvanic isolation and could be creating a noise loop. Check with uptone to confirm.

Interesting point. I'll be sure to email Alex to find out more. Thanks!

May 8, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #3,745 of 6,750
Raidho XT-1s driven by a Luxman MQ-88 tube amp with the Qutest as my DAC. Still using my MacBook Air with the latest version of Audirvana (v3.5) to feed the Qutest. Kimber cables. Highly musical sounding. :relieved:

May 8, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #3,746 of 6,750

For speakers I go direct into Exposure XXVIII Power Amp and Monitor Audio Silver 10s. Room is treated with absorbent panels on walls and a couple of base traps. Lovely.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #3,747 of 6,750
Exposure 3010S2 power amp with passive preamp and Epos M15 speakers.CD playback only.The room is treated and dedicated listening room.

The system is highly musical and extremely revealing.This has it's cons though,because you don't enjoy badly mastered albums!And they are more than you think...

Having a great system or a well thought out soundchain won’t allow you to enjoy poorly mastered music.

Try listening to (on your nice rig there :) The Black Angels “Death Song’ or any Remastered Iron Maiden from 1998. I dare you! Lol.

You gotta good system. Don’t feel like your equipment slouches in any way cause crappy mastering can’t be handled. Garbage in garbage out.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back