1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread

First

Back
242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251
253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262
Next

Last
  1. Zzt231gr
    What about a half-million Mscaler???

betula likes this.
  2. blueninjasix
    Same here. Ming Da 8 watt set monoblocs driving Audio Note AZ-2. Any pre-amp and associated cables have reduced transparency so just use Foobar for digital attenuation by 3db.

Qute Beats likes this.
  3. Nik74
    Apparently the sweet spot of difference is at a million taps so maybe there s less point in a budget m-scaler

Deftone, Zzt231gr and blueninjasix like this.
  4. blueninjasix
    Digital amplifier hopefully and stripped down m-scaler.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Qute Beats and Zzt231gr like this.
  5. Zzt231gr
    I have to agree...

But I would prefer something than nothing!

Qute Beats and blueninjasix like this.
  6. Triode User
    The thing us though that the Huwei is an analogue device so it will need an analogue amplifier to plug into. I could see a Qutest format integrated amplifier that would take the analogue output from the Qutest and also the output from the Huwei and power speakers and headphones. At the right price there might be a big market for that.

Whether a cheaper Mscaler in Qutest format will ever happen might be doubtful because I'm guessing it is difficult to strip down the HMS even more than it is at the moment.

Joe-Siow likes this.
  7. hornytoad
    I'd buy a Chord streamer in a heartbeat.

Ragnar-BY likes this.
  8. hornytoad
    I would love to see a streamer but then Chord would also have to significantly beef up their support department for all the networking problems.
    This is why Schiit hasn't followed this path for reasons they explained somewhere here on this site.

9. JM1979
    I’m pretty sure a 1/2 million tap budget MScaler and an unattached separate Qutest style amp are in complete conflict with Rob’s design principals.

10. plsvn
    ... not holding my breath :p
    setting up Poly, upon release, was a nightmare and installing 2.0 fw still is
    (according to what I'm reading: personally I gave up on Poly back then)

Gibson59 likes this.
  11. GreenBow
    As far as I am aware, you can't take anything off the music with power supplies. Only RFI in power supplies can cause brightness in the music. If your music gets darker then surely that is how it must be. That's going by what I have been told.

RFI or noise in the circuit affects the analogue output parts and adds brightness, or so they say.

It may sound like you are losing detail by the darker signature. However you're gaining it in two ways.

• Brightness makes us keep our volume lower.
    • With brightness gone, the mids and bass textures and details are more balance in the mix.

I used to use some Grado 225e which were bright. When I EQ'd them and took off the brightness, the music was much richer sounding.

Arniesb likes this.
  12. GreenBow
    TT2 is a solid buy.

(I made a few posts recently in the Hugo 2, TT2, and M-Scaler threads recently about TT2. I did mostly comparison with Hugo 2 posts. There weren't many posts doing that, up to press.)

13. Arniesb
    agree. better dacs and amps get less bright they sound. If it sounds annoyingly bright, then power supply must be the reason.

14. GreenBow
    You can pick RFI in cables too. That's why expensive cables are shielded. The Chord Company Sarum T uses shielding that NASA or the military, use in space technology. (Can't remember which; you'd have to check it out.)

Without shielding, cables simply act just like an antenna on a radio, picking up EM waves.

Arniesb likes this.
  15. Baten
    OK but how many plain/normal/non-space-tech cables are used in the recording of your favorite music?

Zzt231gr likes this.
First

Back
242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251
253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262
Next

Last