Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #4,306 of 6,743
Not that anyone needs to spend this much on an optical cable, but I can confirm that I’ve been successfully using an Audioquest Carbon optical cable to stream 24/192 via Qobuz/Roon from my Mac Mini for some time now without any issues. Sounds fantastic!

Yeesh. For that price you can get a Lifatek glass.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #4,309 of 6,743
Could any Supra USB 2.0 A to B owners comment regarding the flexibility (or stiffness) of this Supra USB in 1 meter length?

Thanks!

I would say it is pretty flexible. Not perhaps what I would call supple but still quite flexible. It is my USB cable of choice.

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #4,310 of 6,743
Could any Supra USB 2.0 A to B owners comment regarding the flexibility (or stiffness) of this Supra USB in 1 meter length?

Thanks!

I think you can trust Triode user’s recommendation. I would also recommend it as it won a Hi-fi Choice shoot out a few years ago (and it sounds great in my view), with a comment that it sounded darker than the other cables, probably/ possibly due to better emi or rfi suppression. In any case to your question I don’t think it is super flexible but flexible enough to bend somewhat for my Hugo 2 without putting strain on the input or lifting it, so should be fine with the Qutest as that is heavier (and larger footprint) I would think. Hope that helps,

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #4,311 of 6,743
20191002_221758.jpg

Who else is playing direct out of Qutest?
Ive been playing through my 32ohm tomahawk earbuds. Have set Qutest level to 1v to be safe and have a smoother volume regulation. On foobar remote control im ok under 20.
A RCA to female 1/4 jack is cheap to get.
HP users should really try this.
No groundloops to amp possible.

Oct 2, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #4,312 of 6,743

Ive been playing through my 32ohm tomahawk earbuds. Have set Qutest level to 1v to be safe and have a smoother volume regulation. On foobar remote control im ok under 20.
I would have loved to try this when I had my Qutest even though it looks a bit quirky.
Anyone can compare this direct use of Qutest to Hugo2?

Oct 2, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #4,313 of 6,743
You basically get a Hugo2 dac with Mojo's op stage.(as to read at start of this thread)
I have been thinking of terminating a HD800 cable with RCA's, minimizing used couplings. Might order another set of HP side plugs..
One of the strenghts of eg a TT is no need for external amp and therefore no losses. Well Qutest has one inside also ..sadly with only 3 step volume which cant be live adjusted.
I only miss a smooth feeling rotating volume knob. But foobar works nice linear with enough steps.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #4,315 of 6,743
I've had the Qutest for 3 weeks now and loving the step up from my Firestone Spitfire DAC. I have been using the supplied power supply as I saw many posts referencing Rob Watts' comments on the subject. I have an old Welborne labs DIY LPS lying around that I had used for my Allo Digione Signature, so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't expect much if any change. However to me the difference was big. I don't want to contradict Rob Watts (because I think he is a genius) but to me with the LPS the sound stage was much deeper the vocals and instruments were more focused and realistic sounding. Am I just fooling myself? Who knows? I wanted to prefer the stock PS but to me The LPS was an improvement. I trust Rob's ears more than mine so I'm a bit confused.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #4,316 of 6,743
Just done reading through this whole thread. Sometimes i wished Qutest had a built in psu.. it would have cut the # of posts immensely. and i do like the 5v microB for mobile purposes.

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #4,317 of 6,743

What is that RCA to female 1/4 jack? Looks nice.

Oct 3, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #4,318 of 6,743
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #4,320 of 6,743
Course i have.. used lipo batteries with a non switching 2A regulator (L78S05) to make 5v absolutely jitter and mains noise free.
I took the extra heat loss for granted for the sake of cleanest juice.
But concluded stock psu is just the same sounding. So i havent bothered posting bout it.. till u asked.

Btw Welcome to club Headfi:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back