1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread

First

Back
276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285
287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296
Next

Last
  1. blueninjasix
    Thanks for this information.

2. GreenBow
    Information!?

3. nwavesailor
    I may be looking for a solution to a problem that I may not have. I am scheduled to receive my Qutest, Monday.

I have done a search on this forum and didn't see any posts about the iFi iPower 5 volt DC PS as a good $50 option. John Darko mentioned it in his Qutest review.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  4. dac64
    I have compared the stock with poweradd 2 power bank, no different to me.

Till now,almost a year, still using the stock.

Maybe I will try 485w power banks for both the Qutest and HMS one 15696532267164437939416734669059.jpg of these days.

Zzt231gr likes this.
  5. Reactcore
    Most players like foobar state the samplerate theyre outputting in properties
    Did you checked this first?
    Screenshot_2019-09-28-09-48-35.png

blueninjasix likes this.
  6. blueninjasix
    Yes Foobar is showing 192KHz in the bottom left corner and this is confirmed by the same rate showing on the screen of the Topping D10. Foobar doesn't throw up an error message, it just plays the track silently. I'm getting more convinced that it is a fault with the QED cable.

7. Reactcore
    I had the same with optical out of my AK120 DAP, only the 3rd cable i tried worked up till 192khz. After research i found that the best optical cables are the multistranded ones. It has to do with light reflections.
    The smaller the diameter, the less timing differences occur at the cable end. Each strand is much thinner than a one solid cable, but theyre pricey.
    I have settled with a 0.75m Audioquest Forest for€25.

blueninjasix likes this.
  8. GreenBow
    That's interesting. I read an article in HiFi Choice about digital cable quality. Reflections in optical cables was mentioned.

It's odd though that I have a £5 cable that works fine with 192KHz. I tried to find out where I bought it. It was either Amazon or Ebay but I can't find a purchase on either. I am thinking it was Ebay and my Ebay purchase history doesn't go back more than two years.

blueninjasix likes this.
  9. Reactcore
    Reflections are random, also the polish accuracy of the connector surface plays a role. Im just saying that 192khz is the edge of capabillity for a single strand cable. I guess your Qutest could be processing lost/double bit errors that you won't hear easily but just dont drop out.

blueninjasix likes this.
  10. blueninjasix
    Mine is QED Reference Optical Quartz at £88 for 1 metre and like you suggest and I'm quoting here from QED's website:- it is made consisting of 210 separate boro-silicate glass fibres each finer than a human hair. It has a much higher bandwidth and only 1/10th of the attenuation of traditional acrylic fibres. Reference Optical Quartz vastly exceeds the demands for high definition multi-channel digital audio with a bandwidth of over 150MHz which is totally unaffected by bending the cable.

11. nick77
    I dont think there is any free lunch with regards to an external PS, I doubt a $50 supply will be noticeable.

12. Reactcore
    Hm have you peeked into the optical hole of Qutest and your source.. maybe theres dust / moisture in it. That would be devastating.

blueninjasix likes this.
  13. Reactcore
    And on foobar you use wasapi?
    Windows mixer can downsample f2k's 192khz output..

blueninjasix likes this.
  14. HumanMedia
    As an owner of the iFi power supply, they are garbage. The DC output is filtered but they have excessive leakage current. Might even sound worse than the stock supply. Qutest does perform better with a good supply, but good will cost you many hundreds of dollars. But expensive doesn’t mean better either. You will need to audition many supplies before you find one that is clearly better.

Zzt231gr likes this.
  15. kerisabe
    I’m also running an IFI ipower with my qutest, and i am definitely sure it is not garbage. I am separating the ipower from the rest of the component in the power strip using an ac ipurifier (plugging the ipower at the end of the power strip, with the ac ipurifier in front if it). Definite improvement compared to the stock smps, more separation, more air. Will there be more/bigger improvement using better/more expensive psu in the market? Yes. Is it worth it?

First

Back
276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285
287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296
Next

Last