1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread

First

Back
279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288
290 291 292 293 294 295
Next

Last
  1. Baten
    What is that RCA to female 1/4 jack? Looks nice.

2. Reactcore
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  3. RKClem
    I know what you mean. Have you tried different power options?

4. Reactcore
    Course i have.. used lipo batteries with a non switching 2A regulator (L78S05) to make 5v absolutely jitter and mains noise free.
    I took the extra heat loss for granted for the sake of cleanest juice.
    But concluded stock psu is just the same sounding. So i havent bothered posting bout it.. till u asked.

Btw Welcome to club Headfi:wink:

Baten and Zzt231gr like this.
  5. RKClem
    Thanks for the welcome :) This can be an intimidating place. I am here to learn and not suggest I know more than others (I don't). I imagine every environment is different regarding electrical noise. I don't have a power conditioner, maybe that's relevant in my case?? I'm also trying to train my ears to hear positive differences in SQ. Trust me I am not posting just for the sake of it.

Reactcore and Turdski like this.
  6. AC-12
  7. nwavesailor
    I did see Madisound as a Supra dealer.
    The US distributor for Supra, SJOFN HiFi, is located in Seattle (Madisound is in WI) so a shorter shipping time to me!

AC-12 likes this.
  8. RKClem
    After more dedicated listening I think I was fooling myself. I now think I mistook the changes for SQ improvements. After switching back to the stock ps the music is more enjoyable and natural. I have completely contradicted my earlier comment. Still learning after all these years!

Zzt231gr and Reactcore like this.
  9. Reactcore
    Just as i reasoned. Chord would never work so much creating such superb DAC and undo some of its quality with a wrong chosen psu, which is normally plugged in somewhere out of sight.

The vast majority of users just use the things out of the box getting the sound Chord intented.

I have great respect for Rob, John and the rest of his team for alowing us to reach this level of blissfull sound..
    with our old record collection.:ok_hand:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Zzt231gr likes this.
  10. nwavesailor
    After 1 week with the Qutest I still find this interesting looking 'new shiny object' absolutely stunning!

I thought I had pretty nice sound using my Meze Empy hp and wondered if a Qutest DAC could really add a greater level of detail and clarity..........in a word, YES!
    Thanks again to @Triode User and @Paul Bjernklo for helping with my decision to try the Supra USB 2.0 cable. After day 1 it seems like it might be a bit less harsh than the OEM USB cable but without sacrificing the fantastic Qutest detail.

betula likes this.
  11. Triode User
    I'm glad you are enjoying the Supra cable. I selected it because I found no difference to a £1600 USB cable from a well thought of and well known cable company

12. Reactcore
    Hm going to give this Meze Empy a try.
    I heard the classic but wasnt a fan of it.
    How do they compare..

13. betula
    I wasn't a fan of the classic either but I absolutely love the Empy. I found the Classic's midbass bloated while the sub rolled off. It was pretty warm and not too detailed. Although I like bass and a smooth sound the classic was too much.
    The Empy is in a whole other universe. The best headphones I tried up to date for my taste and I tried quite a lot. They do like a clean source like Qutest and good SS amp. Try to audition a pair. The highest level of technicalities (resolution, detail, imaging) and a musical, addictive sound in one package. No other flagship I have heard offer this level of both worlds.

14. Reactcore
    Based on you guys experience here ive just ordered a Supra usb. For €35 i cant go wrong. Will get it next week. I did choose the shortest one which is 0.7m ive seen. Less cable length means less quality loss.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  15. dinus777
    yes , exactly my experience. I tried Anker Battery operation, and Sbooster LSPU. First of all, it looked like improvement in SQ, but after some more listeting, Chord Qutest stock PSU sounded best. So i trust Chord team , and using stock PSU. There are a lot of Rob Watts comments what we can mistaken for SQ improvement....

Zzt231gr likes this.
First

Back
279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288
290 291 292 293 294 295
Next

Last