Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 20, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #10,336 of 22,535
Agreed. Been using one for three years.

Good to know re Moon-Audio USB cable, my Moon-Audio Black Dragon Premium cable for my Utopias arrives on Monday. Can't wait, started using my own Utopias yesterday after running-in done, the 10ft standard cable is driving me a bit nuts. I guess MA will have another order soon.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #10,337 of 22,535
Agreed. Drew and team are great.

Absolutely, I had an amusing exchange of emails with Drew last night, great to see him on YouTube during a presentation, put a face to the name

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #10,338 of 22,535
Basically I'm wondering if you have RF problems and optical is a quick test for that.

Thanks for the suggestion, you were right. I today finally took the time to set up my second PC (passive cooling for total silence). This one has optical output as well and I´ve been testing it for a while now. It´s clear to me now that most of the odd fatigue I mentioned came from the noisy USB input from that mains connected heavy duty gaming PC. It was clearly better than Mojo on it, but there was a certain edge that seems to have disappeared with optical on the second PC. Although my brain seemed to adjust to the odd edginess with time, but this is definitely much better. I´ll next try to add galvanic isolation to the USB input on my gaming PC, probably with the new iFi iGalvanic.

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #10,339 of 22,535
Jan 20, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #10,340 of 22,535
Jan 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #10,341 of 22,535
For the 1st time my H2 shut down on me automatically a few times yesterday. I was listening for about 2 hours and it was hot to the touch, I think that’s why it shut off. A little disappointed, my Sennheiser HDV820 can go for 7-8 hours during a 12hr work shift easily without over heating and shutting down.

Were you using a charger of more that 2.1A?

If so, that would cause it.

Hi GreenBow and wldcohso, sorry if I bring up your old post, but I was looking for info regarding Hugo 2 heating up when charged with more than 5V 2.1A.
@Rob Watts shouldn't the Hugo 2 draw max 2.1A even if fed by a charger that has more current than 2.1A (i.e. 2.5A or 3A)?
If that's so charging the Hugo 2 with a 2.5A or a 2.1A should be the same as it doesn't have to dissipate the excessive current

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #10,342 of 22,535
I have to say I love my hugo2. It rivals all dac's i have and its transportable which is exactly what i was after. I have had the h2 shutdown while charging and playing due to heat. This happened right out of the box and I wondered what i got myself into. Over the last 2 weeks i have noticed that i dont have the issue if i just let it do its main charge while not listening and then even while plugged in for an 8-12 hr day it doesn't overheat if it starts out charged (while charging and playing). Since I travel a lot I want it charged when I leave to begin with so this serves more than 1 purpose. It hasn't shutdown once since i started doing this. Not sure if i will kill the battery this way or not. I've used the unit for about 6-7 hours on battery have not come close to running out of juice yet so I'm pretty happy with the battery life. My plan b would be to use an external powerbank to charge it on long flights. Try starting with a full charge before work, just a suggestion.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #10,344 of 22,535
Please do start!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on MQA and why it is not included in recent Chord DACs.
You asked for it so;
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-231#post-13489662
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-585#post-13829629
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...-official-thread.831345/page-48#post-13249768

Rob has posted that he has no objection to incorporating MQA, if it is demonstrated that it will not degrade the sound quality produced by his DAC designs.
Given that MQA does degrade the sound quality, then this is probably another case where we must wait for hell to freeze over first.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #10,348 of 22,535
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #10,349 of 22,535
Not sure if i will kill the battery this way or not.

The Hugo 2 uses Li-Ion cells, these are generally not affected by storing fully charged, it would be good practice to fully discharge the battery from time to time though. I believe the battery has a two year warranty too.

For Mojo which uses a LiPo battery it may not be good for the battery, everything I've read about Li-Po batteries indicates its not a good idea to store these fully charged.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #10,350 of 22,535
The Hugo 2 uses Li-Ion cells, these are generally not affected by storing fully charged, it would be good practice to fully discharge the battery from time to time though. I believe the battery has a two year warranty too.

For Mojo which uses a LiPo battery it may not be good for the battery, everything I've read about Li-Po batteries indicates its not a good idea to store these fully charged.
Thats good to know. I do use the battery extensively 2 times a week for about 7 hours each but have not drained it completely. Probably should do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back