Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 17, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #10,321 of 22,516
I got my Hugo 2 delivered yesterday. Registered it and then download the driver. Works perfectly. Until I reboot the computer again and then that signature driver error pops up.
I deleted the drive and reinstalled numerous times to no avail. Anyone knows why it does that? I'm sure I bought it from a certified Chord dealer in the US.
Help is very much appreciated!

A temporary fix would be use optical from your computer. If you don't have an optical out of your PC you can buy a card that will do it. It a USB to optical adapter for about £25.

Sorry, I can't help with your driver issue. I think, but don't quote me, that some folk had issues like that with Windows 10. ... I am in the position that I might have to upgrade to Windows 10 soon. However I am worried about doing it, but some gadgets now require Win 10.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #10,322 of 22,516
am i right in saying you need to download windows 10 driver and windows 10 creator driver ie both of them?

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #10,324 of 22,516
thanks Rob

if you feed hugo2 a partially unfolded mqa track how do chord dacs treat that file. or if its 48 or 96 after partial unfolding like tidal masters does it just treat it as a track with that sample rate fullstop// and its mqa origin has no effect here?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #10,325 of 22,516
thanks Rob

if you feed hugo2 a partially unfolded mqa track how do chord dacs treat that file. or if its 48 or 96 after partial unfolding like tidal masters does it just treat it as a track with that sample rate fullstop// and its mqa origin has no effect here?
If the MQA is unfolded to 96KHz, that's how it'll be treated. I'm curious to eventually hear or read about a track studio mastered with MQA deblurring vs Rob's Davina ADC. I know where my money's on.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #10,330 of 22,516
I had a loaner Hugo 2 here last weekend and yesterday decided to buy one.
I think there's something up with your system setup. How you describe the sound of Hugo 2 seems wrong to me. As a quick test, try an optical cable from your computer to Hugo 2 and make sure that the USB connection to Hugo 2 is removed. If that sounds different then you'll have to investigate optimising your USB setup.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #10,331 of 22,516
I think there's something up with your system setup. How you describe the sound of Hugo 2 seems wrong to me. As a quick test, try an optical cable from your computer to Hugo 2 and make sure that the USB connection to Hugo 2 is removed. If that sounds different then you'll have to investigate optimising your USB setup.

Could be, but unfortunately I don´t have optical output nor a suitable cable right now to try 3.5mm digital coax. I´ll definitely at least try coax later at some point though. It´s a bit of a shame that particular cable doesn´t come with the Hugo 2 as otherwise there was a nice collection included. I´ll probably be moving to a different computer soon too though, so that may prove to be enlightening.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #10,332 of 22,516
Could be, but unfortunately I don´t have optical output nor a suitable cable right now to try 3.5mm digital coax. I´ll definitely at least try coax later at some point though. It´s a bit of a shame that particular cable doesn´t come with the Hugo 2 as otherwise there was a nice collection included. I´ll probably be moving to a different computer soon too though, so that may prove to be enlightening.
I think Hugo 2 comes with a USB cable that will connect to a phone. Try your phone as a source instead.

Basically I'm wondering if you have RF problems and optical is a quick test for that. A phone is also a quick test.

Now playing: My Morning Jacket - If All Else Fails

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #10,334 of 22,516
Same here, I even want to take it a step further and get one that connects 2 BNC's to the minjack as to allow the combination of Blu2 and Hugo.
what I look for is a simple solution that connects both with perseverance of all the good blu2 has to add to Hugo2

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #10,335 of 22,516
I think Hugo 2 comes with a USB cable that will connect to a phone. Try your phone as a source instead.

Basically I'm wondering if you have RF problems and optical is a quick test for that. A phone is also a quick test.

Now playing: My Morning Jacket - If All Else Fails

It´s very possible SQ will increase when moving away from the potential PC USB RF issues. It was actually this same PC that had audible buzz/clicks with the original Mojo. Those at least are not present with the Hugo 2. Unfortunately I can´t try it with my phone right now either as I´m using an iPhone and don´t have the right adapter here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back