Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 24, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #10,366 of 22,511
... ... ...

I did however recently buy an iFi Nano USB 3.0. It has two functions and outputs. It supplies supposedly pure clean power, at 5v and 2.1A which matches the Chord charger perfectly. (I need to check it's exactly 5V before I try it though.) It also purifies the audio data steam USB power line, effectively putting galvanic isolation before the Hugo 2. Meaning I could replace my Jitterbug (which is doing a fantastic job) with it. I didn't try it out yet, but I will do soon.
Hi GreenBow,
while the iFi Nano USB 3.0 is a great product it doesn't certainly provide Galvanic Isolation (for that there are specific product, the iFi iGalvanic or UpTone Audio ISO Regen for example).
It is of course a better product than the stock SMPS, but Rob Watts posted slides that proved Hugo 2 complete isolation from powering source, so your iFi product won't change sound that much...

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #10,367 of 22,511
Today I have noticed that my TV maybe messing with the signal coming from the Blu-ray player. With the audio signal going over HDMI through the TV and then to the Hugo 2 with optical everything sounds softer and a bit out of focus. And if I use coax from the Blu-ray player directly to the Hugo 2 it sound more crisp and with better focus.
So my question is if the change is just due to more noise coming in to Hugo 2 over the coax connection giving the illusion of crisper sound or if the TV messes with the signal in a way destroying the timing of transients making it unnaturally soft. I remember @Rob Watts mentioned something like this when you choose to upsample with the PC instead of using bit perfect.

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #10,369 of 22,511
New proud owner of this fantastic piece of equipment. Really loving the combo with Campfire Andromeda. Never had experienced the music so lively. It’s like being in the same room with the band playing. Very accurate reproduction of sounds.
But, while charging the H2 there’s a hummmm noise when the music is not playing. The hummm increases when I tap the faceplate of Andromeda’s. Is this normal? It’s everything ok with my H2?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #10,370 of 22,511
on a slightly unrelated and random note i think i hold the headfi record for a headfier who has listened to the most expensive headphone rig ever. what a record if it even holds any real wow factor i doubt but...

sennheiser he1---fed by----linn klimax streamer at audio affair birmingham. cost 60K pounds or 85000 dollars. surely a record.:darthsmile::darthsmile:

it removed my soul for 10 minutes in a good way. miles davis was floating in the room on a saturday afternoon.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #10,371 of 22,511
on a slightly unrelated and random note i think i hold the headfi record for a headfier who has listened to the most expensive headphone rig ever. what a record if it even holds any real wow factor i doubt but...

sennheiser he1---fed by----linn klimax streamer at audio affair birmingham. cost 60K pounds or 85000 dollars. surely a record.:darthsmile::darthsmile:

it removed my soul for 10 minutes in a good way. miles davis was floating in the room on a saturday afternoon.
You have set yourself up to be record holder for only a few minutes or hours. :wink:
There are posters on the DAVE thread, who listen through expensive systems.

On a positive note, you now have to choose between a Blu2 and the linn/sennheiser system.
2018 will be expensive for you. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #10,372 of 22,511
AHH.....but dave on its own moved me more through oppo pm1 listening to dvorak....:beerchug:

i was totally gripped by the experience as someone reporting from a completely unbiased perspective.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #10,373 of 22,511
New proud owner of this fantastic piece of equipment. Really loving the combo with Campfire Andromeda. Never had experienced the music so lively. It’s like being in the same room with the band playing. Very accurate reproduction of sounds.
But, while charging the H2 there’s a hummmm noise when the music is not playing. The hummm increases when I tap the faceplate of Andromeda’s. Is this normal? It’s everything ok with my H2?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Does the hum also increase when you touch the Hugo 2 or other metalic surfaces?

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #10,375 of 22,511
its normal for charging devices to vibrate or hum very quietly. if performance is not affected no worries i say. but double check with dealer for peace of mind.

on h2 coax you often hear people referring to the jack as sleeve/tip and left or right. how can you determine left or right channels by just referring to markings on a single metal connector. i never understood this. i understand headphone jacks and mono/stereo markings but not with coax.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #10,377 of 22,511
its normal for charging devices to vibrate or hum very quietly. if performance is not affected no worries i say. but double check with dealer for peace of mind.

on h2 coax you often hear people referring to the jack as sleeve/tip and left or right. how can you determine left or right channels by just referring to markings on a single metal connector. i never understood this. i understand headphone jacks and mono/stereo markings but not with coax.

With typical coaxial it’s just the digital signal and ground wired in the cable, no left and right. The only reference I’ve ever read about left and right coaxial is with Rob’s dual coaxial input meant to be fed from the M scaler (currently only available in the Blu mk2), which in that case there is a digital signal for the left and a digital signal for the right to get the full bandwidth through the coaxial input (which is automatically switched based on the signal for each channel).

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #10,378 of 22,511
Hi guys

I finally managed to test Hugo 2,As I expected It was very different and I fell in love with first experience ,but too much transparent and hursh it with my HD800S ,However image layering soundstage and resolution in H2 Unparalleled .maybe if i use another headphone could be better results .

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #10,379 of 22,511
Hi guys

I finally managed to test Hugo 2,As I expected It was very different and I fell in love with first experience ,but too much transparent and hursh it with my HD800S ,However image layering soundstage and resolution in H2 Unparalleled .maybe if i use another headphone could be better results .
20171221_143720.jpg

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #10,380 of 22,511
Sounds like some sort of grounding problem.
How can I solve it? I don’t think the problem is H2. The source is a Mac Mini and when I plug the power cable to the electrical extension (without other equipment connected to the electrical extension) even without turn it on, when I put my hand in the pc body I feel some sort of electrical vibration (I can’t use better words).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back