Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #9,796 of 22,535
I got a feeling no TT2 for 2018 I think chord is threading a few needles here and TT being as good as it is at present, won't disturb the ch2 dave cart as it were. Plus they got a lot going on as is with poly, 2go, mscaler, davina.....Just my feelings but pass the corn anyway.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #9,797 of 22,535
That doesn't necessarily mean the H2 is less accurate to the original recording, or less technically capable, or of inferior sound quality than the PRII, though.

I'm not stating that it's one way or the other; I'm merely pointing out that your personal preferences for one piece of gear over another, could indicate technical shortcomings in the one subjectively considered inferior, but could just as easily indicate little more than a personal preference to a 'Technicolor' presentation of music.

There is a reason that there are so many hundreds of V-shaped IEMs, CIEMs, headphones, and even loudspeakers, in the world. Many people love that kind of presentation. Similarly, many hundreds of valve amp designs exist, with numerous die-hard fans, who love a certain 'bloom' to the presentation of their music.

Within reason, I fall into the camp that favours a more neutral presentation with as little harmonic distortion and colouration as possible - in other words, striving to be as true to the original performance as possible, but some label that kind of presentation as lacking warmth or 'lacking emotion', but audiophiles are notorious for throwing around such phrases, so maybe a pinch of salt is in order, whenever they are used!

Is a subjective preference for a certain flavour of sound, which a piece of equipment may or may not favour, sufficient basis for outright stating that one piece of equipment blows another out of the water?

I'm not so sure :wink:

We're talking about the amp section only, to be clear.

I know we're in subjective territory. I'd argue my other amp (with H2 as the dac) is truer to my familiar recordings. At the end of the day. I want to be able to enjoy the music vs my gear. That's what I value - to be able to get lost in the music - and my other headphone amp does that better.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #9,798 of 22,535
Funny, I thought the same thing when I first saw Chord's post on Facebook. It looked like September 1, 2018 which is a loong way from now.

I wonder if this is the 2Qute successor or TT successor? Or maybe Chord are gonna pull a rabbit from their hat and finally make a desktop Mojo :wink:
JF has given hints in two posts:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-164#post-13799649
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-611#post-13888048

So expect to see the 2Go.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #9,800 of 22,535
I received mine yesterday and had a chance to spend an hour with it.
This was supposed to serve as a combo desktop dac + headphone amp at work. My on-the-go portable is a iPod -> Algorythm solo -db -> Larocco PrII
Headphones: Fostex TH-900 m2

My initial impressions are that its a wonderful dac but I'm not impressed with the headphone amp in the hugo 2. My Larocco PRII blows it out of the water.
Here's Rob Watts' comment on the matter (still about the Hugo₁).

Actually it's old news: Contrary to your statement, the Hugos, Mojos and DAVEs don't have an amp section: Headphone out and line out carry the same signal. So what you hear from the headphone output is the unvarnished sound of the DAC. And what you hear from your amp is what your amp makes out of it. A completely neutral and accurate amp would offer exactly the same sound as the direct drive (through headphones with decent sensitivity).

Now it would be unfair to say the Hugo₂ itself be absolutely neutral – since the deviation from the other Chord models (and DACs of other brands) is absolutely audible. However, the deviation is magnitudes smaller than that of any of your headphones. So if you really need the sound (or the tonal balance, resp.) that you're apparently used to, it would be better to equalize it with an equalizer instead of amplifier colorations primarily consisting of harmonic distortion. That way you would take full benefit of the Hugo's concept with the direct drive as a great plus compared to other brands – the world's best headphone amp (a wire without gain) in one box together with one of the best DACs. I've experimented a lot with headphone amps in the past and recently with Chord DACs, and my conclusion is clear: You sacrifice a lot of the Chord magic by reamplifying the signal without any need. The Hugo₂ is no exception, as it drives even so-called hard-to-drive headphones as well as the DAVE. Which of course still sounds a bit better.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #9,801 of 22,535
Yeah I'm well aware the 2Go is going to be announced that's predictable and has been talked about many times, the real mystery is what else has Chord been up to in their secret lab?

I was excited about the 2Go to simplify my chain. But since the numerous 'ferrites-work-wonders' posts on both Hugo2 and Dave, i'm now concerned that any RF noise from 2Go will be directly injected into the Hugo2 across the USB link ...with no hope of supplying intervening RF quashing ferrites. It would be interesting to test 2Go + Hugo2 loosely coupled (with ferrited short USB cables). I'm sure 2Go will still sound great on the road but this would be good to know for desktop use.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #9,802 of 22,535
Yeah I'm well aware the 2Go is going to be announced that's predictable and has been talked about many times, the real mystery is what else has Chord been up to in their secret lab?
Last year there have been posts stating:
  • the Dave2 is not on the horizon for a few years
  • Rob has stated that the Davina project was still in the early stages, and 2018 would be too soon
  • the TT2 is not on the short term horizon
However the digital amps were talked about a lot early last year, and some headfiers are convinced that a successor to the 2Qute is due. Maybe a standalone MScaler.
No-one was expecting the Hugo2 at CES 2017, but just five days and we will know the truth for CES 2018.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #9,803 of 22,535
I was excited about the 2Go to simplify my chain. But since the numerous 'ferrites-work-wonders' posts on both Hugo2 and Dave, i'm now concerned that any RF noise from 2Go will be directly injected into the Hugo2 across the USB link ...with no hope of supplying intervening RF quashing ferrites. It would be interesting to test 2Go + Hugo2 loosely coupled (with ferrited short USB cables). I'm sure 2Go will still sound great on the road but this would be good to know for desktop use.
No one has complained about the Poly directly injecting RF noise into the Mojo. Why do you suspect that the 2Go would be different?

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #9,805 of 22,535
Here's Rob Watts' comment on the matter (still about the Hugo₁).

Actually it's old news: Contrary to your statement, the Hugos, Mojos and DAVEs don't have an amp section: Headphone out and line out carry the same signal. So what you hear from the headphone output is the unvarnished sound of the DAC. And what you hear from your amp is what your amp makes out of it. A completely neutral and accurate amp would offer exactly the same sound as the direct drive (through headphones with decent sensitivity).

Now it would be unfair to say the Hugo₂ itself be absolutely neutral – since the deviation from the other Chord models (and DACs of other brands) is absolutely audible. However, the deviation is magnitudes smaller than that of any of your headphones. So if you really need the sound (or the tonal balance, resp.) that you're apparently used to, it would be better to equalize it with an equalizer instead of amplifier colorations primarily consisting of harmonic distortion. That way you would take full benefit of the Hugo's concept with the direct drive as a great plus compared to other brands – the world's best headphone amp (a wire without gain) in one box together with one of the best DACs. I've experimented a lot with headphone amps in the past and recently with Chord DACs, and my conclusion is clear: You sacrifice a lot of the Chord magic by reamplifying the signal without any need. The Hugo₂ is no exception, as it drives even so-called hard-to-drive headphones as well as the DAVE. Which of course still sounds a bit better.

I'm even more confused now as their website reads
HUGO 2
Transportable DAC/Headphone Amplifier

Never mind, I just read Rob's post and the he says there is no separate headphone stage but integrated into the DAC function directly.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #9,806 of 22,535
I'm even more confused now as their website reads
HUGO 2
Transportable DAC/Headphone Amplifier

Never mind, I just read Rob's post and the he says there is no separate headphone stage but integrated into the DAC function directly.
That is marketing speak, because some people would be unable to understand how a standalone transportable dac, could drive headphones.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #9,807 of 22,535
No one has complained about the Poly directly injecting RF noise into the Mojo. Why do you suspect that the 2Go would be different?
I had a level of incredulousness when adding 5 ferrites to my laptop->hugo2 usb link made it sound better. So, it was a revelation that Hugo2 (and all DACs frankly, no matter how isolated they are) have a degree of succeptibility to analog RF on the USB. My laptop was probably spewing all kinds of RF willy nilly into the usb transceiver. So I knew that ferrites were improving my laptop source to feed a lower noise USB signal. Sorta like getting a $5000 streamer for $30.
So, yes, I hope 2go is super clean ..but I think you are paying for convenience, not SQ. Perhaps. Would be nice to have Chord prove that a Hugo2+2Go is the ultimate.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #9,810 of 22,535
Ferrites ain’t no 5000$ streamer. I got one and don’t need a ferrite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back