Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 2, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #9,152 of 22,475
Has there been any news of an SD-card add-on for the Hugo 2 like there is for the Mojo?

I've been off Headfi for a while, and this thread is so big it's unsearchable....

Thanks.
Hi we’er hoping to have something to show you in the spring of next year fingers crossed.

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #9,153 of 22,475
Wow that is a nice case indeed but I think I would till prefer leather as I’m still not taken to alcantara too well it reminds me of suede.

Well,
that's the beauty of Alcantara, it looks and feels like suede but it far more resistant to dirt and wear, consider that Alcantara has been used in the automotive for decades.

I have the dignis cars for my SP1000 and I like the feeling of Alcantara, it's less slippery than leather.

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #9,154 of 22,475
Hi we’er hoping to have something to show you in the spring of next year fingers crossed.

Thank you for this information.

Are you meaning what has been hinted at under the name of 2Go and was supposed to be shown at CES 2018 at the beginning of January? Are there then major, unexpected delays?

If nothing will be shown before spring, it may still be time for wishing the following dreams:

1. re these (micro) SD cards mentioned in the post you were replying to,
given the much larger size of the Hugo (compared to Mojo), I would hope for at least two of them
and that they and the streamer be (shielded from internal EMI) included within the Hugo form factor, i.e. an upgraded, Hugo 2,... Hugo2go.

2. in case of an external module, then I would like it to extend as well underneath the Hugo for housing hopefully two SSDs as storage for music files.

Wishing you all the best with the development of your upcoming excellent products,
bidn

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #9,155 of 22,475
"The sibilance problem is caused by RF interference that the USB cable is sending into Hugo 2. In general, brightness and a sense of fatigue is caused by RF.

A simple solution is an optical cable (TOSLink) but you must disconnect the USB cable, otherwise the RF interference will still cause a problem.

Or you can try adding ferrite cores like I posted here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/does-chord-dave-system-need-a-dcc.809287/#post-13799263

The galvanic isolation on Hugo TT's USB port is only a partial solution, it doesn't filter out all of the interference. That's why I recommend either an optical cable or ferrite cores that clip on to the USB cable. You will get the best sound with Hugo TT and Hugo 2 if you follow this advice.

When you have no RF interference you end up with a big powerful sound with a very refined treble, stunning transparency and utterly addictive musicality.

Hugo 2 has an optical cable in the box. I can't remember if Hugo TT comes with an optical cable. So to try an optical cable won't cost you any money. 20 ferrites on your USB cable will cost about the same as a couple of draught beers.

You'll love the TT, but please bear in mind that the galvanic isolation isn't good enough to give you all of what TT can do. I owned one for over a year before I bought DAVE. I had trouble with sibilance on my TT initially, which turned out to be RF interference. I thought it was my headphones (HD 800 S) but it was just RF."

@Rob Watts

Is any of this true? I don't have any optical source to see if there's any sonic upgrade from USB to check for myself.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #9,156 of 22,475
"The sibilance problem is caused by RF interference that the USB cable is sending into Hugo 2. In general, brightness and a sense of fatigue is caused by RF.

A simple solution is an optical cable (TOSLink) but you must disconnect the USB cable, otherwise the RF interference will still cause a problem.

Or you can try adding ferrite cores like I posted here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/does-chord-dave-system-need-a-dcc.809287/#post-13799263

The galvanic isolation on Hugo TT's USB port is only a partial solution, it doesn't filter out all of the interference. That's why I recommend either an optical cable or ferrite cores that clip on to the USB cable. You will get the best sound with Hugo TT and Hugo 2 if you follow this advice.

When you have no RF interference you end up with a big powerful sound with a very refined treble, stunning transparency and utterly addictive musicality.

Hugo 2 has an optical cable in the box. I can't remember if Hugo TT comes with an optical cable. So to try an optical cable won't cost you any money. 20 ferrites on your USB cable will cost about the same as a couple of draught beers.

You'll love the TT, but please bear in mind that the galvanic isolation isn't good enough to give you all of what TT can do. I owned one for over a year before I bought DAVE. I had trouble with sibilance on my TT initially, which turned out to be RF interference. I thought it was my headphones (HD 800 S) but it was just RF."

@Rob Watts

Is any of this true? I don't have any optical source to see if there's any sonic upgrade from USB to check for myself.

Not from my listening tests on Hugo 2; my laptop has optical and USB, and surprisingly I can hear no change at all from optical and USB. But perhaps my USB on my MSI is relatively noise free; and this is in use using headphones only; when you ground Hugo 2 analogue outputs, then there is a small difference going from USB to optical. I can speculate that other USB's would be different; with my old Dell PC you absolutely needed galvanic isolation on USB. But the RF filtering on the USB has been improved a lot on Hugo 2, so perhaps my old Dell would now sound much better on USB. again, YMWV... (or rather your mileage may vary...)

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #9,157 of 22,475
Hi Mr. Franks:
I don't use smartphones with touch apps as a rule. My take on the Poly is that you need a smartphone to control or feed music to it, as it's an extension of the Mojo. I know you won't/can't reveal anymore than you can at this time. But, is there anything you can say that might indicate that the 2go is more controlable than by using an app from said smartphone?
I'm not telling your company what they 'should' do, and I know my needs/desires belong to a small minority of customers of my type. But, I can't help being curious,a little.
Thanks for allowing yourself to be accessable on H-F.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #9,158 of 22,475
Thank you for this information.

Are you meaning what has been hinted at under the name of 2Go and was supposed to be shown at CES 2018 at the beginning of January? Are there then major, unexpected delays?

If nothing will be shown before spring, it may still be time for wishing the following dreams:

1. re these (micro) SD cards mentioned in the post you were replying to,
given the much larger size of the Hugo (compared to Mojo), I would hope for at least two of them
and that they and the streamer be (shielded from internal EMI) included within the Hugo form factor, i.e. an upgraded, Hugo 2,... Hugo2go.

2. in case of an external module, then I would like it to extend as well underneath the Hugo for housing hopefully two SSDs as storage for music files.

Wishing you all the best with the development of your upcoming excellent products,
bidn

I'd settle for the same features at the same cost, I could justify £500 for a 2Go, for Hugo 2, if they price it at £2000 them I'm afraid I'm out, again.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #9,159 of 22,475
"Not from my listening tests on Hugo 2; my laptop has optical and USB, and surprisingly I can hear no change at all from optical and USB. But perhaps my USB on my MSI is relatively noise free; and this is in use using headphones only; when you ground Hugo 2 analogue outputs, then there is a small difference going from USB to optical. I can speculate that other USB's would be different; with my old Dell PC you absolutely needed galvanic isolation on USB. But the RF filtering on the USB has been improved a lot on Hugo 2, so perhaps my old Dell would now sound much better on USB. again, YMWV... (or rather your mileage may vary..."

Thanks very much. I haven't heard any RF issues through the USB, apart from when it's too near my cellular phone (Sony Xperia) it makes all kinds of awful noises sometimes. But I assume there's nothing to be done about that.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #9,160 of 22,475
I'd settle for the same features at the same cost, I could justify £500 for a 2Go, for Hugo 2, if they price it at £2000 them I'm afraid I'm out, again.
For me it needs some kind of mscaler implementation, maybe in a smaller version...then may it be 2500€

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #9,161 of 22,475
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #9,163 of 22,475
A somewhat interesting article with the mention of Chord Hugo 2. Hugo 3 will have USB-C ummmmmmmm

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/12/2/16727510/death-to-microusb

Honestly that article is the biggest load of cr*p I have read in a long time. Micro USB is a long way from being dead yet. Yes the usb-c connector is a better and easier one.... but I suspect comments like this come from those who have newer Android phones and want all their connections the same. iPhone users don’t expect Hugo to have lightning sockets :)

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #9,164 of 22,475
Hi Mr. Franks:
I don't use smartphones with touch apps as a rule. My take on the Poly is that you need a smartphone to control or feed music to it, as it's an extension of the Mojo. I know you won't/can't reveal anymore than you can at this time. But, is there anything you can say that might indicate that the 2go is more controlable than by using an app from said smartphone?
I'm not telling your company what they 'should' do, and I know my needs/desires belong to a small minority of customers of my type. But, I can't help being curious,a little.
Thanks for allowing yourself to be accessable on H-F.
But UE, the smart phone and Tablet screen really is a wonderful interface, it’s had billions of Dollars spent to develop and refine it! Both Poly and 2go have far too many control settings and playing music choices to be controlled by anything less. Please make the leap over to this current technology I’m sure you will not regret doing so.

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #9,165 of 22,475
But UE, the smart phone and Tablet screen really is a wonderful interface, it’s had billions of Dollars spent to develop and refine it! Both Poly and 2go have far too many control settings and playing music choices to be controlled by anything less. Please make the leap over to this current technology I’m sure you will not regret doing so.

But John, if you can’t see the touch screen then you can’t use it. Not all are visually blessed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back