Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 2, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #9,166 of 22,475
Thanks very much. I haven't heard any RF issues through the USB, apart from when it's too near my cellular phone (Sony Xperia) it makes all kinds of awful noises sometimes. But I assume there's nothing to be done about that.

Quite often Rob refers to RF that isn’t heard as an obvious noise, but instead one that modulates the noise floor and in turn spices up / brightens / hardens the tonality of the sound overall.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #9,167 of 22,475
But John, if you can’t see the touch screen then you can’t use it. Not all are visually blessed. :)
Yes of course your right, I did consider that possibly may be the reason for not wanting to use a smart phone a laptop or Pad when writing my reply but discounted this possibility as I’m not aware of any software that would allow UE long to access the info on this particular thread but not access the info from say a Poly App

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #9,168 of 22,475
Yes of course your right, I did consider that possibly may be the reason for not wanting to use a smart phone a laptop or Pad when writing my reply but discounted this possibility as I’m not aware of any software that would allow UR long to access the info on this particular thread but not access the info from say a Poly App
Oh, I use a traditional Windows machine with keyboard and screenreading software that produces speech from the screen. The problem with pads and smartphones, is that you have to know where to touch the screen, which can be tricky for me. I'll just have to wait and see what you and Rob came up with for the 2go. If I can use it, I'll buy it.

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #9,169 of 22,475
Oh, I use a traditional Windows machine with keyboard and screenreading software that produces speech from the screen. The problem with pads and smartphones, is that you have to know where to touch the screen, which can be tricky for me. I'll just have to wait and see what you and Rob came up with for the 2go. If I can use it, I'll buy it.
If some one can help you with the more complicated setting up. I’ll see what we can do with the blue tooth control for a possible high contrast or buttoned way of using poly for those that are visually impaired.

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #9,170 of 22,475
If some one can help you with the more complicated setting up. I’ll see what we can do with the blue tooth control for a possible high contrast or buttoned way of using poly for those that are visually impaired.
You're the first manufacturer to even offer a solution. Thanks for that. I'm not kidding when I say that Chord will always have my first consideration when purchasing audio gear.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #9,171 of 22,475
A somewhat interesting article with the mention of Chord Hugo 2. Hugo 3 will have USB-C ummmmmmmm

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/12/2/16727510/death-to-microusb
Interesting read. I hope I haven't made it a secret here exactly how much I hate the micro usb connection on my HUGO.
The article strenghted my already strong suspicion of cost related reasons for CHORD's decision to keep it even on HUGO 2.
Meanwhile, they seem to have no problems at all charging more for HUGO 2 than they did for HUGO.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #9,172 of 22,475
Interesting read. I hope I haven't made it a secret here exactly how much I hate the micro usb connection on my HUGO.
The article strenghted my already strong suspicion of cost related reasons for CHORD's decision to keep it even on HUGO 2.
Meanwhile, they seem to have no problems at all charging more for HUGO 2 than they did for HUGO.
No the design choice wasn’t as you suggest cost related! The purchasing lead times on that particular C type connector, at the time of design were out to 36 weeks. This was because far larger companies like some mentioned with greater buying power than little Chord had secured virtually all of the available C connector production.
Secondly we buy components on the world markets through normal components distributors these are priced in dollars or are strictly related to dollars. Between the launch of Hugo and Hugo2 there had been dramatic falls in the value of the pound against the Dollar. This ofcourse was primarily due the uncertainty over Brexit, naturally this had been affecting us severely never the less we were able to bring to market a product considerably better than its pedicesser at the same price in dollar terms even though Hugo2 went into production nearly four years after the original Hugo. I think we do not deserve your gripes about our pricing. So I am asking you kindly Mr Christer please Can you just cut us some slack as we are thoroughly tired of having to continually justify our position against your never ending drip drip of dis information clearly that seems to us to be aimed against us. If you don’t like our prices or our technologies or product design do us a favour please buy something else

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #9,174 of 22,475
The Aeon Flow Closed + Chord Hugo 2 = best transportable option available today?

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #9,176 of 22,475
Hi team I had a question, in theory will it be possible to replace the 1/4 inch jack with the new Sony Pentaconn female jack?

Personally I'm hoping that audio manufacturers here might collude and all, at more or less the same time, switch to the Pentaconn jack.

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #9,177 of 22,475
Personally I'm hoping that audio manufacturers here might collude and all, at more or less the same time, switch to the Pentaconn jack.
I've mass migrated to 4.4mm plug and I hope some genius finds a way to hack the H2 with the pentaconn plug. I really like the sound of H2, despite me sticking to my original Hugo I can see myself migrating to H2 (or maybe H3 or H2 anniversary) with a 4.4mm plug instead of 1/6 inch jack.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #9,178 of 22,475
The Aeon Flow Closed + Chord Hugo 2 = best transportable option available today?

Might be the Hugo2 + LCD-i4, and it’s more portable than the AEON Flow. Love that pairing.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #9,180 of 22,475
Isn't Pentaconn jack balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back