Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #9,766 of 22,475
It gets filtered by an improved DSD filter to 705.6 kHz PCM. Then Hugo 2 treats it exactly the same as regular PCM.

I am actually very pleased by the sound of the new filter; but to do this I needed over 200 dB of attenuation, to ensure zero aliasing. I get identical measured performance on the analogue compared to the original DSD64 test tones measured digitally; so performance is totally limited by the DSD itself, not the analogue conversion.

Hmm? Interesting to know that HUGO 2 plays DSD as PCM.But the question was about native DSD 256,not DSD 64, wasn't it?
I read your answer as responding only regarding DSD 64?
Are there really no measurable differences between DSD 64 and higher DSD sampling rates like DSD 128/256 and the latest DSD 512 in your opinion?
I have been told by those who record at DSD 256 that the higher the DSD sampling rate the further away from 20khz you send the infamous DSD 64 noise.
And also gain an increase in resolution?
Is that misinformation?
For those who raise a red flag whenever I ask a question that might be misunderstood, FYI ,I do so only out of curiosity and the wish to know as much as possible.
And have as correct information as possible.
Cheers Christer

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #9,767 of 22,475
Is there any advantage to using a LPS for the CH2 if using in the main rig. I currently use the H2 as a DAC between an Auralic Aries Mini (with own LPS and iFi USB3) and a McIntosh MA8000. It sounds great but as ever there is that itch to improve things. I have to confess I do not understand role of power supply and battery when the H2 is permanently on and used as I do. I don't really want any warranty issues but have seen a couple of LPS that are made with the Hugo (1 and 2) in mind. Thanks for opinions / advice

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #9,768 of 22,475
Is there any advantage to using a LPS for the CH2 if using in the main rig. I currently use the H2 as a DAC between an Auralic Aries Mini (with own LPS and iFi USB3) and a McIntosh MA8000. It sounds great but as ever there is that itch to improve things. I have to confess I do not understand role of power supply and battery when the H2 is permanently on and used as I do. I don't really want any warranty issues but have seen a couple of LPS that are made with the Hugo (1 and 2) in mind. Thanks for opinions / advice

This post may interest you regarding your question...

Absolutely not. Don't break something that ain't faulty - the power supply system is very complex, and by adding external PSU's you categorically will make it sound worse or it will have no difference in sound quality whatsoever.

The reason I published the stereo separation figures is to prove - incontrovertibly - that Hugo 2 functions with complete isolation from the power supply. and the reason I mentioned that it happens to work with the batteries disconnected (via the charger PSU) was just to provide reassurance about battery ageing effects.

So don't entertain fantasies that a massive PSU will make Hugo 2 sound better - it won't and will almost certainly make it sound worse thru poorer RF noise problems. Power supply and amplifier interaction is highly complex and it is not about crude power reserves.

Apologies at my tone, but imagine if you posted on a Ferrari or Mercedes thread that you can improve their F1 cars...

Rob

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #9,769 of 22,475
Hmm? Interesting to know that HUGO 2 plays DSD as PCM.But the question was about native DSD 256,not DSD 64, wasn't it?

Okay, I am a newbie here but very much a seasoned contributor in various forums, enough to know that a direct communication channel to top designers and heads of companies is very much a unique privilege rather than a right. There are only a handful of forums where this happens and although it is fair to ask anything, I would not expect a complete/concise answer at all times - it is crazy competitive out there right?

Now I am no moderator but I do value this privilege and would like to see it continue for the wider benefit of everyone and that is the only reason I mention this.

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #9,770 of 22,475

Cheers Christer

It was clear to me - all DSD rates, up to DSD512 as supported by Hugo2, will get converted to PCM705kHz and then treated like any PCM705kHz does.

It sounds fantastic.

One followup question for @Rob Watts - why was Hugo2 not able to get Dave's DSD+ mode , converting to PCM but keeping the same original DSD sample rates?

A battery power consumption issue I'm guessing?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #9,771 of 22,475
It was clear to me - all DSD rates, up to DSD512 as supported by Hugo2, will get converted to PCM705kHz and then treated like any PCM705kHz does.

It sounds fantastic.

One followup question for @Rob Watts - why was Hugo2 not able to get Dave's DSD+ mode , converting to PCM but keeping the same original DSD sample rates?

Your explanation is very interesting indeed.
I did not understand why Rob only mentioned DSD 64 and measurements of DSD 64 in the digital realm in a response to a question about DSD 256 at first. But your answer clarifies things a bit.
But what is the implication for higher rate DSD files via HUGO 2 if that is so? And particularly if what I have been told by some Pros recording in DSD 256, is true, ie increased resolution as well as pushing the dreaded DSD 64 noise further away from 20khz?
If there is an SQ advantage apart from less noise, going from DSD 64 to DSD 128, DSD 256 or DSD 512, is HUGO 2 not taking full advantage of that theoretical/hypothetical advantage?
Or is there no SQ increase/ advantage apart from pushing noise?
Does HUGO 2 decimate native DSD 256 files?
Or does HUGO 2 read the native DSD 256 and upsample it to 705 PCM without decimation?
Dave apparently only employs about half the number of taps available with DSD+ than with PCM Plus?
Cheers Christer

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #9,772 of 22,475
Rob

I smiled when I read in X Relic X's post above what you said about Ferrari or Mercedes improving their F1 cars, that's exactly what Ferrari need to do if they don't want Mercedes to win the Constructor's and Driver's Championship (yet again). And I speak as a Lewis Hamilton fan. Please provide some really credible opposition Mr Ferrari, opposition that doesn't fade away half way through the season.

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #9,773 of 22,475
Your explanation is very interesting indeed.
I did not understand why Rob only mentioned DSD 64 and measurements of DSD 64 in the digital realm in a response to a question about DSD 256 at first. But your answer clarifies things a bit.
But what is the implication for higher rate DSD files via HUGO 2 if that is so? And particularly if what I have been told by some Pros recording in DSD 256, is true, ie increased resolution as well as pushing the dreaded DSD 64 noise further away from 20khz?
If there is an SQ advantage apart from less noise, going from DSD 64 to DSD 128, DSD 256 or DSD 512, is HUGO 2 not taking full advantage of that theoretical/hypothetical advantage?
Or is there no SQ increase/ advantage apart from pushing noise?
Does HUGO 2 decimate native DSD 256 files?
Or does HUGO 2 read the native DSD 256 and upsample it to 705 PCM without decimation?
Dave apparently only employs about half the number of taps available with DSD+ than with PCM Plus?
Cheers Christer

Hmmm I have no idea. I guess we defer to the Guru here.

I'm fine with the DSD to PCM705kHz conversion (it sounds great).

Some compromises need to be made with a portable device - I guess this is why Hugo2 doesn't get DSD+ mode (power consumption?) but seek clarification from the Guru. Not that it bothers me. I'm saving for a Dave anyway :beyersmile:

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #9,774 of 22,475
Please provide some really credible opposition Mr Ferrari, opposition that doesn't fade away half way through the season.

Without wishing to deviate too far off-topic, it seems to me that F1 cars are much like Sherlock's description of horses
rolleyes.gif
:

youtu.be/AY_2nAfS9ys?t=36s

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #9,775 of 22,475

It sounds fantastic.

https://bluecoastmusic.com/free-downloads

Just downloaded the above to see how different formats (5.6MHz-DSF and 11.2MHz-DSF in particular) will sound through my system (Hugo 2 + Klipsch HP-3)......
and the result is just stunning. Well done Hugo 2!:)

Happy New Year and Happy Listening!

Hugo

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #9,776 of 22,475

It sounds fantastic.

Actually gate count. The crossfeed function is implemented serially at 16FS, so is very efficient in terms of gate count; but running at DSD512 means a parallel DSP implementation which is very costly in gate count. But the new filter removes the need for DSD plus mode - and of course it works for all DSD formats up to DSD 512.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #9,777 of 22,475
I received mine yesterday and had a chance to spend an hour with it.
This was supposed to serve as a combo desktop dac + headphone amp at work. My on-the-go portable is a iPod -> Algorythm solo -db -> Larocco PrII
Headphones: Fostex TH-900 m2

My initial impressions are that its a wonderful dac but I'm not impressed with the headphone amp in the hugo 2. My Larocco PRII blows it out of the water.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #9,778 of 22,475
I received mine yesterday and had a chance to spend an hour with it.
This was supposed to serve as a combo desktop dac + headphone amp at work. My on-the-go portable is a iPod -> Algorythm solo -db -> Larocco PrII
Headphones: Fostex TH-900 m2

My initial impressions are that its a wonderful dac but I'm not impressed with the headphone amp in the hugo 2. My Larocco PRII blows it out of the water.
Not familiar with Laurocco amp. Would you tell us more as to why you prefer your amp over H2's HP output? Education, not picking fanboy fight. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #9,779 of 22,475
Actually gate count. The crossfeed function is implemented serially at 16FS, so is very efficient in terms of gate count; but running at DSD512 means a parallel DSP implementation which is very costly in gate count. But the new filter removes the need for DSD plus mode - and of course it works for all DSD formats up to DSD 512.
I know you don't like DSD, that much. Nevertheless, thanks for making it sound so good through your tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back