Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 2, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #9,736 of 22,481
Hi Rob,

when my Hugo 2 is in desktop mode (and I only use Hugo 2 as a desktop unit, thanks for the handy remote BTW), do you think a 1A charger would be better than the stock 2.1A one, as less current to dissipate the better?

Thanks!

The Hugo 2 charger has been designed to do the job properly regardless of how you are using your H2. I don't recommend you use any other charger tbh, why complicate things?

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #9,737 of 22,481
it must be 2.1A otherwise it won't work.
Thanks yoghurtlidlicker, you say this because you did experienced it yourself? I ask this as I can't found this information in the manual...

Do you think the designer would endorse going off spec?
Hi Whazzzup, why you say "going off spec"? as stated in the manual Hugo 2 can be charged by any charger starting from 1A charger (as less A wouldn't allow charging).

The Hugo 2 charger has been designed to do the job properly regardless of how you are using your H2. I don't recommend you use any other charger tbh, why complicate things?
Hi ChisChas, I'm asking whether It would be advisable/better to use a lesser current charger in Desktop mode, as I've read of some user reporting high temperature (even if first batch only).
I don't want to complicate things, but if a simple change as this can improve thermal dissipation I'm more than fine to try it.

Thanks for your input!

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #9,738 of 22,481
Thanks yoghurtlidlicker, you say this because you did experienced it yourself? I ask this as I can't found this information in the manual...

Hi Whazzzup, why you say "going off spec"? as stated in the manual Hugo 2 can be charged by any charger starting from 1A charger (as less A wouldn't allow charging).

Hi ChisChas, I'm asking whether It would be advisable/better to use a lesser current charger in Desktop mode, as I've read of some user reporting high temperature (even if first batch only).
I don't want to complicate things, but if a simple change as this can improve thermal dissipation I'm more than fine to try it.

Thanks for your input!
Most heat problems caused by listening when unit is in full charge cycle, i.e. initial charge. Mine is always plugged in and in desktop mode, and doesn't heat up; a little warm on occasion. The 2.1A supply is meant for Hugo2 and its various charging needs. A 1 amp supply will not fulfill all necessary functions of the proper supply. As has been mentioned in this thread, there are other ways to keep it from too much heat. Adding small feet on each corner to allow cooler air flow underneath. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a problem. Use Chord's PS as intended.

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #9,740 of 22,481
I believe that's how USB works in general, not just for Hugo2. If better shielding can cut down on the number of errors that the H2 has to re-require, I'm in favour of whatever modification helps.

For the most part, I would expect better RF shielding to reduce the likelihood of noise polluting the analogue portions of a DAC, especially since they lack the error correction the digital portions tend to have.

Jan 2, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #9,742 of 22,481
Thanks currawong I appreciate the knowledge. Just went to your website and read the updated Dave review and it felt as if I were writing it as we both connect with the chords sounds ability. While I have heard the Dave I’ve not heard it with the utopia. However I had a similar experience with the Hugo2 and the Elear. At canjam I’d had the mojo with the Elear and the aeon. While I love and appreciate the mojo, it’s the same presentation most of the equipment we’ve used for some time presents us. Just the mojo is ridiculously good at the classic sound. It’s got great low distortion characteristics, textures, super black back ground and great resolution. That’s exactly what I heard with the Elear and the aeon paired to the mojo. Next I’d switched to the Hugo2 and the Elear. The presentation was just about the same. Not much had changed. However the Aeon morphed to the Hugo2 sound and became what I know as the chord sound. No longer was I searching for blacker backgrounds. It’s as if there weren’t any an in fact every amount of space was filled with distinct layers and little micro details and dynamics where caressing my brain. It’s been some time since I’ve heard the combo but truly hoping my visit to Craig in Pittsburg in March will result in the same experience. This time I’m hoping to try a plethora of different headphones especially some of the mid tier headphones. I’m a sucker for multiple headphones that do certain things exceptionally well. I’ve been urging to see what happens to them paired with the Hugo2.
Has anyone tried the clear with it? Does it it grasps onto to its normal sound as the Elear and utopia do?

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #9,743 of 22,481
Music is music, in whatever flavour. Maybe you should google PSAudio and read Paul McGowan's post from today about audiophiles vs snobs.

Agree. Strange only liking cover bands playing mostly century old music! Missing out on a lot of music, whatever genre.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #9,744 of 22,481
Jan 2, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #9,745 of 22,481
Jan 2, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #9,746 of 22,481
Jan 2, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #9,747 of 22,481
Erm... not really sure why you're quoting me, to bolster a viewpoint on jobs or people.

I was just talking about music, nothing more; nothing less...

Jan 2, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #9,749 of 22,481
Ahhh, the new forum software automatically truncates everything and anything, over a few sentences long, to an absurd degree - really screws with the continuity of thread conversations.

Consequently, I've had to learn to discard large chunks from quotes, just so that auto-truncation will be avoided.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #9,750 of 22,481
Well let’s add a bit more filler, it’s a new year.:upside_down:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back