Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 1, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #9,706 of 22,467
I'm guessing you have (or want) a Utopia headphone cable that terminates in 2.5mm balanced, and an adaptor to use it with the Hugo? One of the various cable makers will either have an option or can make something for you. Do NOT try Amazon. The adaptors they sell are not what you're looking for and will damage your QP2R.

Here's the end of one of my headphone cables from Moon Audio, terminated with a 2.5mm balanced plug, alongside two "ultra short" adaptors from Norne Audio, which allow me to use it with other amps.

I am using a Balanced cable on loan from Atlas Cables/SCV with a 2.5mm termination for my QP2R but without an adapter so I'm having to change to the Focal cable when I want to use my Hugo 2. The adapters you have shown in your photo are similar to the 3.5mm to 6.3mm one I have and thank you for highlighting the dubious quality of the Amazon offerings. Custom Cans was recommended to me yesterday and looking at their website I believe they will be able to help (or Audio Sanctuary). I only need a 1m Balanced cable (+ adapter) for both QP2R & Hugo 2 use and I really like Atlas Cables cables (I use one with my K812's). The Utopias are a great temptation particularly as their comparatively undemanding nature means they can be driven well by my QP2R, better by the Hugo 2. My New Year's resolution was to go on spending vast sums on hi-fi, wasn't it? Oh dear, I used to just to be really into my main hi-fi system but now I've caught the headphone bug............Je suis perdu (I am listening to the lovely Lara Fabian singing 'Aimer Deja' in French from her album Nue, recommended by Headmania in his LCD-4 review).

Jan 1, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #9,707 of 22,467
Hmm, "Always look on the bright side of life" leaps to mind. But in reality life is maybe more like 50-50 " Sweet and Sour" .
Maybe I am just lucky?
And I don't even own a HUGO 2 or DAVE,not to mention a Blu 2 .

You have lots of nice gear and you're always popping into this or that dealer in Hong-Kong or Singapore so it's only a matter of time :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #9,708 of 22,467
I thought that's what the Davina was. An ADC. I didn't know that ADC is only part of it.

I want to record some analogue onto my PC. I need to get looking now for a quality USB audio interface.

Let's not forget that Davina will have an M-scaler built in! For some (like me) this will be the greatest buying argument.

Jan 1, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #9,709 of 22,467
thanks for the clarification on dual input Rob. learning everyday. happy new year and also to everyone at chord.

Jan 1, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #9,711 of 22,467
Let's not forget that Davina will have an M-scaler built in! For some (like me) this will be the greatest buying argument.
It would be interesting if Chord could get some of the well-known mastering engineers, i.e., Bob Katz, Robert Ludwik to name a few, to put Davina through its paces. As I said before, somewhere, Putting a Davina master up against (pardon me), MQA's proclaimed deblurring-treated recordings might be worth someone's time. Unless, ignorant as I am, technologically, I don't understand the situation.

Jan 1, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #9,712 of 22,467
HI UE from H2 manual:

Coax 1 configuration = Tip and sleeve, Coax 2 configuration = Ring and sleeve. The 3.5mm digital coaxial jack input supports ‘dual data mode’, where 768kHz files can be input as two separate 384kHz data streams, should devices support this capability.

COAX DUAL DATA MODE light blue colour input ball (automatic - not user selectable)

the bit i don't understand is that roon /tidal is 44.1khz (standard RBCD). so 44.1*16=705.6khz but the manual as above states 768khz files. to get 768khz you would need to do 48*16=768 so since when do we use 48khz files. can anyone explain this? referring here to blu2 into h2.

happy Canadian new year.

Is coax 2 supposed to work as coax 1 in normal (non blu2) mode? I seem to remember (I am away so cannot test) that mine does not with my “2 black rings” stereo adapter that works for coax 1. Would be great to have another input. I don’t understand the ring vs tip specification...

Jan 1, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #9,713 of 22,467
Is coax 2 supposed to work as coax 1 in normal (non blu2) mode? I seem to remember (I am away so cannot test) that mine does not with my “2 black rings” stereo adapter that works for coax 1. Would be great to have another input. I don’t understand the ring vs tip specification...
Tip is coax1. Ring is coax2. Sleeve is common ground.

Jan 1, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #9,714 of 22,467
20180101_172109.jpg
The music has never sounded this good...

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #9,715 of 22,467
I can report back I've been playing my H2 for the past 15 hours straight, no over heating what so ever. a little warm to the touch which is expected after all this time playing. I'm thinking the Hugo 2 case caused it to overheat and it shut down as a preventive measure, so now I keep it out the case during extended playing times... Radiohead OKNOTOK (Remastered) sounds sooooo good using my H2/Sennheiser HDV 820 using my Focal Utopia

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #9,716 of 22,467
I can report back I've been playing my H2 for the past 15 hours straight, no over heating what so ever. a little warm to the touch which is expected after all this time playing. I'm thinking the Hugo 2 case caused it to overheat and it shut down as a preventive measure, so now I keep it out the case during extended playing times... Radiohead OKNOTOK (Remastered) sounds sooooo good using my H2 or Sennheiser HDV 820 using my Focal Utopia

If you're H2 isn't plugged in, then the case is just fine. But plugged in, I can see how things could heat up with the case.

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #9,717 of 22,467
If you're H2 isn't plugged in, then the case is just fine. But plugged in, I can see how things could heat up with the case.

Yep, it was plugged in the entire time while the case was on... learning as I go :)

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #9,718 of 22,467
It would be interesting if Chord could get some of the well-known mastering engineers, i.e., Bob Katz, Robert Ludwik to name a few, to put Davina through its paces. As I said before, somewhere, Putting a Davina master up against (pardon me), MQA's proclaimed deblurring-treated recordings might be worth someone's time. Unless, ignorant as I am, technologically, I don't understand the situation.
Hmm, I would much rather see a Davina used by the truly dedicated people in the acoustic Classical and Jazz business who record as transparently and non manipulated simply mic'd as possible, than by the so called mastering engineers in the pop and rock genres.
Well recorded music needs no mastering!
Mastering is manipulation.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #9,719 of 22,467
You have lots of nice gear and you're always popping into this or that dealer in Hong-Kong or Singapore so it's only a matter of time :wink:
Hmm, I sometimes wish I hade been to Hong Kong.But the fact is I have not been there ever. Singapore oh yes, and KL too are my Asian favoured HIFI and live music watering holes.
Next up KL.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #9,720 of 22,467
Hey guys been a while since I’ve been around these parts. Holidays are over and income tax around the corner so it’s been hard not surfing the web trying to figure out my next toys. Hugo2 as been on my list as #1 since the first time I’d heard it at canjam nyc back in February. I’m seeing a lot of them being for sale on the forums lately and am wondering why. Issues? Does it not drive big powerful headphones the way people thought it would? I appreciate the time and hope you all had a great New Years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back