Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 31, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #9,691 of 22,511
I'd better say my Hugo 2 likes duck or the Moderators will be complaining! I used duck fat for the roasties on Christmas Day, I never cease to be amazed by the many talents we all appear to have...............I read this thread from page 1 and there's lots of entertaining stuff apart from the H2 posts.
Obviously, we're a wise and noble community.

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #9,692 of 22,511
I'd better say my Hugo 2 likes duck or the Moderators will be complaining! I used duck fat for the roasties on Christmas Day, I never cease to be amazed by the many talents we all appear to have...............I read this thread from page 1 and there's lots of entertaining stuff apart from the H2 posts.
I agree. I think any long threads that stuck 100% on topic, would eventually get very repetitive and dull. Occasional short diversions off-topic help keep threads fresh and alive, plus help us all understand/appreciate the other posters in the community better.

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #9,693 of 22,511
Or its senseless filler but whatever

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #9,695 of 22,511
I have been on Amazon.uk and looking at 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters, I found the following:

'Awanka' Gold Plated 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Stereo Audio Headphone Adapter

I say no more................In the category of 'Senseless Filler' :blush: but my excuse is that it's New Year's Eve.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #9,696 of 22,511
I say no more................In the category of 'Senseless Filler' :blush: but my excuse is that it's New Year's Eve.

Yes, and my vegetables are roasting in the oven, and the champagne is uncorked.
France is a few hours in advance of North America, but I wish you all a Happy New Year when 12pm arrives.

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #9,697 of 22,511
Has someone tested the Microsoft Surface PRO + Roon Core + HUGO 2 ?

The 1 Tb version of Surface Pro, with the HUGO attached on it's back, could be the ultimate Transportable solution !

I will be very interested to know how the Surface Pro sound as a USB Source for the HUGO 2 (and other USB DACs) ! Is the USB of the surface Pro clean and Jitter free ?

f2f4e307ae90bf4ed6e67eb39b10ffe67522c27a.jpg

Chord DACs are immune to jitter, because they re-clock the signals when they arrive at the DACs.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #9,698 of 22,511
You should PM @ray-dude who has been posting his experiences on the Blu2 thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831343/page-143#post-13912180

The source select will walk you through coax 1, coax 2, etc., in case you have 2 different digital streams interfaced to the dual coax. If you connect a Blu2 (and presumably another source that requires dual coax if/when they're available), the Hugo2 auto switches to dual coax mode.

Dave is similar but it groups BNC1 and BNC2 together, and BNC3 and BNC4 together. You can cycle through those one at a time via source select, but if there is a Blu2/dual coax on BNC1/2, it will auto switch to dual coax mode (displays D Bnc 1). Same with BNC3/4.

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #9,699 of 22,511
An analogue to digital converter (ADC) forms part of the Davina project.
Most headfiers will have little/no use for this ADC functionality.

I thought that's what the Davina was. An ADC. I didn't know that ADC is only part of it.

I want to record some analogue onto my PC. I need to get looking now for a quality USB audio interface.

Anyway thanks.

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #9,700 of 22,511
The source select will walk you through coax 1, coax 2, etc., in case you have 2 different digital streams interfaced to the dual coax. If you connect a Blu2 (and presumably another source that requires dual coax if/when they're available), the Hugo2 auto switches to dual coax mode.

Dave is similar but it groups BNC1 and BNC2 together, and BNC3 and BNC4 together. You can cycle through those one at a time via source select, but if there is a Blu2/dual coax on BNC1/2, it will auto switch to dual coax mode (displays D Bnc 1). Same with BNC3/4.
Thanks, makes sence. Not there if you don't need it. Another plus for the designer; and health to him in the new year.

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #9,701 of 22,511
HI UE from H2 manual:

Coax 1 configuration = Tip and sleeve, Coax 2 configuration = Ring and sleeve. The 3.5mm digital coaxial jack input supports ‘dual data mode’, where 768kHz files can be input as two separate 384kHz data streams, should devices support this capability.

COAX DUAL DATA MODE light blue colour input ball (automatic - not user selectable)

the bit i don't understand is that roon /tidal is 44.1khz (standard RBCD). so 44.1*16=705.6khz but the manual as above states 768khz files. to get 768khz you would need to do 48*16=768 so since when do we use 48khz files. can anyone explain this? referring here to blu2 into h2.

happy Canadian new year.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #9,702 of 22,511
HI UE from H2 manual:

Coax 1 configuration = Tip and sleeve, Coax 2 configuration = Ring and sleeve. The 3.5mm digital coaxial jack input supports ‘dual data mode’, where 768kHz files can be input as two separate 384kHz data streams, should devices support this capability.

COAX DUAL DATA MODE light blue colour input ball (automatic - not user selectable)

the bit i don't understand is that roon /tidal is 44.1khz (standard RBCD). so 44.1*16=705.6khz but the manual as above states 768khz files. to get 768khz you would need to do 48*16=768 so since when do we use 48khz files. can anyone explain this? referring here to blu2 into h2.

happy Canadian new year.
Thanks for the info, MK. Wish I knew the answer to your question. Happy GMT new year to you as well.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #9,703 of 22,511
HI UE from H2 manual:

happy Canadian new year.

It means up to 768 kHz, so 705 kHz (actually any SR) would make it run in dual data mode. It detects it with two mechanisms; either the AES standard built into the AES3 SPDIF protocol; or simply two data streams that are exactly in sync with one another on both coax inputs.

Jan 1, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #9,704 of 22,511
I buy headphone cables from Atlas Cables (UK) but they might be struggling with an adapter (2.5mm Balanced to 3.5mm SE) so I can go from Balanced use with my QP2R to using my Hugo 2 (without changing cables). I am enjoying a pair of Utopias on Christmas loan at the mo, Atlas cables very kindly provided a 2.5mm Balanced cable to the UK Distributors of Focal, Questyle & various other brands but if I buy a pair of Utopias I don't want to swop cables and nor do I wish to use the standard far too long (for me) cable.
Have you or any of the others who provided help to the other Head-Fier got any suggestions for sourcing a 2.5mm to 3.5mm SE adapter?

I'm guessing you have (or want) a Utopia headphone cable that terminates in 2.5mm balanced, and an adaptor to use it with the Hugo? One of the various cable makers will either have an option or can make something for you. Do NOT try Amazon. The adaptors they sell are not what you're looking for and will damage your QP2R.

Here's the end of one of my headphone cables from Moon Audio, terminated with a 2.5mm balanced plug, alongside two "ultra short" adaptors from Norne Audio, which allow me to use it with other amps.

IMG_0126-web.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back