Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #9,826 of 22,467
Hi guys,

I'm a happy Hugo 2 owner, only problem I've experienced (but maybe it's just me) is with the volume knob.

Every time I apply a pressure more than "a light touch" I can clearly hear crackling noise from the volume sphere (?potentiometer inside the sphere?), and that terrifies me.

Keep in mind that the volume knob/control works good, no functional damage is present, it does just this crackling noise if slightly pressed.

Is it normal? Should I RMA with the seller?
I apologise if I'm being paranoid, but it's the first big purchase I make for the love of Audio! :deadhorse:

can someone please reassure me than no harm can be done to Hugo 2 by pressing volume sphere? :disappointed_relieved:
I seems I can't feel a difference in scrolling smoothness from before, but if I press down the sphere I can hear click/crack sound... is it because it's touching the back of the case?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #9,827 of 22,467
can someone please reassure me than no harm can be done to Hugo 2 by pressing volume sphere? :disappointed_relieved:
I seems I can't feel a difference in scrolling smoothness from before, but if I press down the sphere I can hear click/crack sound... is it because it's touching the back of the case?
Why not use the remote control instead?

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #9,828 of 22,467
While pressing desire can be tempting in particular for Mojo users, i would avoid it if it is invented to be scrolled :) if scrolling still works i would imagine no damage was done...

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #9,829 of 22,467
Why not use the remote control instead?
I normally use the remote, but when you're near the Hugo 2 how can you NOT touch the volume wheel? It's like it's asking me to play with it :ksc75smile:
While pressing desire can be tempting in particular for Mojo users, i would avoid it if it is invented to be scrolled :) if scrolling still works i would imagine no damage was done...
Yea, that's me... Mojo user, likes to press everything. It still works...

What I was asking is if it's possible that the volume wheel is touching the rear of the Hugo 2, that would explain the rattling/crcking noise, otherwise I've ruined something :triportsad:
Maybe some more experienced user here that have opened the Hugo 2 lid remember how was the volume wheel placed on the pcb

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #9,830 of 22,467
Good point.
However, you need to keep in mind that everyone is different and have ears and brains that are built slightly different than you. You have better ears than I do if your very first impression of any dac, amp, or recording is always completely objective and a permanent one that you are willing to take to the bank. If you have never changed your opinion on anything ever after your first impression, you definitely are a better human being than I am. I am not as perfect, in fact, full of imperfections and subjective at times. There are many things that I learn to like and learn to dislike after some time, sometimes hours, days, or months. I just cannot believe anyone would dislike the H2 after a few days, unless you are a seasoned veteran in this hobby, exposed to the very best of the best in the world, and able to pick out the slightest imperfections of the H2 immediately and objectively, which I am sure you can. This is not a misunderstanding for me, sadly. That's why I ask for opinion of people like you before purchasing something. Then I have to stick with it for a while and avoid jumping into any final conclusions.
True. Hugo1 was my first piece of high-end gear, and I liked it right out of the gate. I found the H2, however, easier to enjoy from day one. Deeper stage; more room to breathe, if you know what I mean. But, I didn't have to adjust from anything other than an IPod, X5I, or my basic HP jack from my LoFi Hitachi stereo. I had nowhere to go but up. For me, no brainburn, or anything like that. Guess I was lucky. Still, that's what we're here for. Ask all your questions, express your doubts, and enjoy.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #9,831 of 22,467
I normally use the remote, but when you're near the Hugo 2 how can you NOT touch the volume wheel? It's like it's asking me to play with it :ksc75smile:

Yea, that's me... Mojo user, likes to press everything. It still works...

What I was asking is if it's possible that the volume wheel is touching the rear of the Hugo 2, that would explain the rattling/crcking noise, otherwise I've ruined something :triportsad:
Maybe some more experienced user here that have opened the Hugo 2 lid remember how was the volume wheel placed on the pcb
Hadn't noticed any crackling. Do you have easy access to your dealer to check it against another?

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #9,832 of 22,467
Hadn't noticed any crackling. Do you have easy access to your dealer to check it against another?

Why would wakka992 need to check one dealer against another? Does size have something to do with it? :)

Seriously, though, I agree; it does sound as though a comparison to another Hugo would be worthwhile, just to be sure there's no fault.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #9,834 of 22,467
Sorry, it was overly droll - but life needn't be 100% serious, even in the world of audiophilia...

@ wakka992: Are you able to compare your unit to another, at a dealer, as UELong suggested?

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #9,835 of 22,467
Hello,

I´m considering buying a Hugo 2, but I only play music using Tidal hifi (and a mac/iphone). Currently I use the Bowers and Wilkins P9 and the Dragonfly Black, and when it comes to hifi I´m quite a newbie.

So I was hoping that one of you could answer me what´s the best possible setup if you´re only using a mac, tidal and the Hugo 2 to get the best possible sound quality (i.e. "Master"/mqa)?
Should you change the sound output in the Tidal app to "Exclusive Mode" (I do this when using the dragonfly dac to get the "Master"/mqa sound quality) or just change the sound output from the mac´s audio menu? Or are there any other choices?

I would appreciate it if you have any other suggestions or comments.

English isn´t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #9,836 of 22,467

Sorry, it was overly droll - but life needn't be 100% serious, even in the world of audiophilia...

@ wakka992: Are you able to compare your unit to another, at a dealer, as UELong suggested?

Nope, don't have access to a near dealer that has Chord product, I bought it online.
I've emailed Chord this morning, I'll see what they suggest...
Seriously though, I've applied a mediocre pressure, just a bit more than the one you use to turn on the Hugo 2 :sweat:
Sure hope I'm being overly paranoid

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #9,837 of 22,467
Hello,

I´m considering buying a Hugo 2, but I only play music using Tidal hifi (and a mac/iphone). Currently I use the Bowers and Wilkins P9 and the Dragonfly Black, and when it comes to hifi I´m quite a newbie.

So I was hoping that one of you could answer me what´s the best possible setup if you´re only using a mac, tidal and the Hugo 2 to get the best possible sound quality (i.e. "Master"/mqa)?
Should you change the sound output in the Tidal app to "Exclusive Mode" (I do this when using the dragonfly dac to get the "Master"/mqa sound quality) or just change the sound output from the mac´s audio menu? Or are there any other choices?

Hugo 2 doesn't support MQA but it does support everything else up to DSD 512.
You do not need to worry, just connect Hugo 2 to your laptop and be prepared to be amazed by the sound quality, either using your P9 headphones or anything else. Tidal didn't sound as good before.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #9,838 of 22,467
Hello,

Yes, on Tidal desktop app to ensure max quality you should check/flag:
- Streaming : Hi-Fi (as Master is MQA and is semi-lossy);
- select your DAC as Audio Output, click on settings icon beside it and flag both "Exclusive Mode" and "Force Volume". Leave unchecked/unflagged MQA Passthrough.

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #9,840 of 22,467

Users who are viewing this thread

Back