Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #14,026 of 22,516
So, not worth using then?

Well, you may find benefits from it but it won’t eliminate EMI from a cellular signal. EMI can even enter through the headphone cable (which acts like an antennae) and you can hear the beeps/bops/clicks, which is different from RF noise causing noise floor modulation which doesn’t sound like noise but rather added brightness through a wired connection from the source. The way to definitively check if your source is adding noise floor modulation on the USB input is to compare with the optical input. If optical sounds smoother/warmer then the USB is passing RF noise through the cable.

However, come to think of it, I haven’t read much on the Hugo2 thread about people experiencing EMI from cellular phones like in the Mojo thread, and I haven’t tested it myself. If you have access to a Jitterbug you should test it and let us know your findings.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #14,027 of 22,516
Welcome to the Hugo 2 club.
Remember the Hugo 2 is a dac, not a streamer.
Maybe your wishes will be answered when the 2Go (the companion streamer to the H2) is released, hopefully in the near future.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, but I am not interested in streaming, really. My question was rather "why go that far to include Bluetooth connection and aptX decoding, but not aptX-HD and/or LDAC?". I mean, the bluetooth functionality is already there. Why would I need to buy an extra device for it? It just does not make sense to me.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #14,028 of 22,516
So do you guys think a Jitterbug would make a difference with an iPhone as the source? Is that what you’re wondering Mediahound?
I thought rob said it improved the sound of hugo2 when it was ran from mains vs battery powered laptop.
I have one in my chain as such, but couldn’t say in a/b whether it makes any difference.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #14,029 of 22,516
I thought rob said it improved the sound of hugo2 when it was ran from mains vs battery powered laptop.
I have one in my chain as such, but couldn’t say in a/b whether it makes any difference.

It was with the DAVE, and he found no difference with/without compared to his battery powered laptop. With the laptop connected to the mains there was a slight difference.

You can read his comments here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-230#post-12681548

Edit: Found this regarding Hugo2 and Jitterbug

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-568#post-13795767

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #14,030 of 22,516
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #14,031 of 22,516
Aug 27, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #14,032 of 22,516
Hi all,

I decided to pull the trigger for the Hugo 2 but I was surprised about the lack of LDAC and aptX-HD. I was checking to see if Rob sent anything on that but could not find. Does anyone know the reason? Such a high end device as H2 having only aptX is surprising for me. I wonder if it is because of the licensing policies of Qualcomm and Sony, or does Chord not see much use cases for them, or is it just that there were no gates left on the FPGA? Or some radio level interference issues?

Cheers

There was another manufacturer saying that there weren't any actual benefits of APTxHD. I can't confirm that as I don't know the technicalities of it. It also requires that the transmitting device supports it and I'm not sure how prevalent it is so far. As for LDAC, The Hugo 2 may have been designed before Sony started selling licences for, and/or before there were suitable Bluetooth receivers with it.

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #14,033 of 22,516
Thanks for the reply. Yes, but I am not interested in streaming, really. My question was rather "why go that far to include Bluetooth connection and aptX decoding, but not aptX-HD and/or LDAC?". I mean, the bluetooth functionality is already there. Why would I need to buy an extra device for it? It just does not make sense to me.

Your question is a good one. I am also mystified as to why they included Bluetooth at all.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #14,034 of 22,516
Aug 28, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #14,035 of 22,516
... As for LDAC, The Hugo 2 may have been designed before Sony started selling licences for, and/or before there were suitable Bluetooth receivers with it.

funnily enough Matt and I did a bit of research into LDAC when Sony released the Walkman ZX1, we found out that Sony had just bought the Co. that initially developed LDAC and was for use 'exclusively' with other Sony products (we surmised Sony were having another Betamax moment), the only real relevant information we could garner at that time was either from the side of the Walkman packaging or some marketing blurb on Sony's product website.

Late last year Sony announced that they were 'licencing' LDAC to interested Partners, unfortunately I wasn't around late last year so informed Matt of the development around May'ish time when I returned home... I know Matt is looking into LDAC and researching the benefits though will assume it's a bit early to ask if there is any development in the pipeline.

I doubt if many people have LDAC enabled products as Android phone-manufacturers have only just started rolling out products (exempting Sony users). The home hi-fi market is playing catch-up so I expect it'll be a year or so when products featuring LDAC become common place.

Like any new technology people want it now that's life nowadays unfortunately., sometimes you just have to wait for products to be developed & released... so watch this space.

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #14,036 of 22,516
I doubt if many people have LDAC enabled products as Android phone-manufacturers have only just started rolling out products (exempting Sony users). The home hi-fi market is playing catch-up so I expect it'll be a year or so when products featuring LDAC become common place.

Like any new technology people want it now that's life nowadays unfortunately., sometimes you just have to wait for products to be developed & released... so watch this space.

Thanks for the info. :) Is the the Bluetooth/aptX stack on H2 Chord's own implementation? Is an update of the firmware/FPGA possible, for example, to include LDAC and/or aptX-HD support? That would really be amazing...

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #14,037 of 22,516
Thanks for the info. :) Is the the Bluetooth/aptX stack on H2 Chord's own implementation? Is an update of the firmware/FPGA possible, for example, to include LDAC and/or aptX-HD support? That would really be amazing...

I'm not going to ask today but will try and find out next week when people return from holiday, I am privileged to certain info from Chord but have privacy-agreement with John re-products which I totally respect & honour that said, if I ask on behalf of you guys for the most I'll get a positive answer... as Arnie says 'I'll be back'.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #14,038 of 22,516
Reading through these pages I note many pair their H2 with Audeze and Hifiman but haven't seen anyone commenting on a Sony z1r pairing?

Also I'm really interested in listening to the H2 and I find the excitement especially before the release infectious, but one small point makes me think I should just stick to my dap, and that's the 7 hr battery life.

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #14,039 of 22,516
Search hugo 2 on z1r thread fantastic combo and my next headphone purchase hopefully once i have hoarded enough currency.

Silver hugo 2 arriving tomorrow very happy. Mscaler deposit down and once i receive it that's where i draw the line (financially) and just start to really enjoy my music and exploring roon some more.

listening to billy joel//my life.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #14,040 of 22,516
Reading through these pages I note many pair their H2 with Audeze and Hifiman but haven't seen anyone commenting on a Sony z1r pairing?

Also I'm really interested in listening to the H2 and I find the excitement especially before the release infectious, but one small point makes me think I should just stick to my dap, and that's the 7 hr battery life.
I have the Hugo 2 and Z1R's and they sound fantastic together. I have the Sony/Kimber cable on my Z1R's and it's a definite sonic upgrade that makes great music with the Hugo 2. There's so much detail, clarity and weight/body with the pairing that it just lets you enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back