Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 25, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #13,996 of 22,467
See this from John Franks. Seems to be saying anticipating production starting in Sept with first units delivery in autumn. So everyone needs to cross fingers for no snags or hold ups.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-55#post-14435444

one thing is for certain, John is way more reliable with his predictions than Mystic-Meg, if he says Autumn delivery then it will be... reminds me of that old saying 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'.

Aug 25, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #13,998 of 22,467
I might sing this in the bath in the mo before I have 2Go & see Poly for some comforting... bloody team.

According to some Gooners, Hammers could have had 5, so don't feel too bad mate!

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #14,000 of 22,467
'could have' but they didn't... I'm just a penitent sinner who has to endure a life of purgatory during my time on Earth, God owes me big-time.

Ok I’ll be kind to you and not tell anyone you are testing 2go and m-Scaler :)

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #14,001 of 22,467
Can hugo 2 be safely powered from a portable battery bank? Then both HMS and H2 could simultaneously be 3rd party battery powered ? But i don't recall any mention of H2 and power banks only mscaler?? Silver hugo 2 arriving wednesday very excited. Just HMS to finish my rig.

Also i remember xr3i and cosworth somewhere near a motorway sometime back...i wasn't really a field man but rather more dressed up smartly for the 12-12 ambient nights aged just 18/19...lol..i recall plenty of white netting just inches from my head like clouds everywhere i went..lol

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #14,002 of 22,467
Can hugo 2 be safely powered from a portable battery bank? Then both HMS and H2 could simultaneously be 3rd party battery powered ? But i don't recall any mention of H2 and power banks only mscaler??

Yes, my Anker one charges the H2 just fine as it has up to 3A output on each USB port: https://amzn.to/2PFmfdR

You don't really need it though since H2 has internal batteries. The Anker just extends play time.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #14,003 of 22,467
I mean with a portable battery bank H2 could be kept in desktop mode without being mains connected? So the battery bank replaces mains as in mscaler? probably not doable on reflection..

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #14,004 of 22,467
Can hugo 2 be safely powered from a portable battery bank? Then both HMS and H2 could simultaneously be 3rd party battery powered ? But i don't recall any mention of H2 and power banks only mscaler?? Silver hugo 2 arriving wednesday very excited. Just HMS to finish my rig.

Also i remember xr3i and cosworth somewhere near a motorway sometime back...i wasn't really a field man but rather more dressed up smartly for the 12-12 ambient nights aged just 18/19...lol..i recall plenty of white netting just inches from my head like clouds everywhere i went..lol

Yea, I've tried power banks for smartphones and it's '''okay". Kinda sloes down the sound or more accurately, makes the timing off. The best sound so far is the LPS 1.2 , which oddly only has 1amp output but better than the stock charger and ipower 5v.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #14,005 of 22,467
I will stick firmly to chord's own charger with H2 as advised by chord. Obviously HMS by portable battery cannot safely be replicated with H2. Of course mscaler has no internal battery like h2. Powering a device with an internal battery by an external battery doesn't make sense on reflection.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #14,006 of 22,467
Yea, I've tried power banks for smartphones and it's '''okay". Kinda sloes down the sound or more accurately, makes the timing off. The best sound so far is the LPS 1.2 , which oddly only has 1amp output but better than the stock charger and ipower 5v.
Power banks for smartphones are not good psu for hifi applications. Normally most power banks are using a 3.7v to 5v boost converter with low quality voltage regulators and this solution makes output noise on a high lever. A hifi battery psu must use a 7.4v(or higher ) to 5v buck converter with ultra low noise regulator to provide a clean output.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #14,007 of 22,467
For Rob,

I was thinking about HMS and the way it can be powered by an external powerbank. I then had a very strange thought that if an external powerbank could somehow be charged and powered up 24/7 and connected to hugo 2 then hugo 2 might effectively be kept in desktop mode without a mains powered charger connected and benefit from being off the grid with the powerbank. I will not under any circumstances try this and will use chord's supplied charger of course. Could you explain why the powerbank with H2 in this context is a very bad idea (and should not be tried) as one member already replied stating he had experimented with a smartphone powerbank and H2 with bad results. Many thanks mk.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #14,008 of 22,467
For Rob,

I was thinking about HMS and the way it can be powered by an external powerbank. I then had a very strange thought that if an external powerbank could somehow be charged and powered up 24/7 and connected to hugo 2 then hugo 2 might effectively be kept in desktop mode without a mains powered charger connected and benefit from being off the grid with the powerbank. I will not under any circumstances try this and will use chord's supplied charger of course. Could you explain why the powerbank with H2 in this context is a very bad idea (and should not be tried) as one member already replied stating he had experimented with a smartphone powerbank and H2 with bad results. Many thanks mk.

Power banks are actually very good devices to use for audio, even if they employ switch mode regulators. The sound quality issue with RF noise on the mains is from 10 MHz to 10 GHz, and in this band a battery power bank is very much better than mains supply. And before anybody starts saying LPS, these devices provide no rejection from 10 MHz and above, as they do not employ RF filters- but a SMPS must employ filters, both on the OP and back to the mains.

As you know, RF noise creates noise floor modulation, as the intermodulation distortion from random RF noise is a white noise modulated by the wanted signal. This then results in noise floor modulation, and is very very audible. It accounts for the things sounding brighter and less smooth; additionally, when you reduce RF noise, things sound considerably warmer and darker, and one consequence of this is perception of tempo - more midrange gives the impression of a slower tempo, as individual instruments have much more body.

Now if somebody prefers the brighter sound from more noise floor modulation, then fine - that's their taste and preference. But it's not accurate.

Another benefit of battery bank operation is disconnection from the mains supply, and so no ground loops (or RF ground loops from non-grounded supplies). THis is a considerable advantage, as it is RF noise injected into the DACs ground plane that is the issue for the source of noise floor modulation; and if the PSU is isolated from the mains, then there is no RF ground loops, and so no current flowing into the ground plane - and then no problems.

As to Hugo 2, I would not worry - with HP operation, I can't hear the effect of adding the supplied charger, nor is there any measurable change either.

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #14,010 of 22,467
I was involved with the infamous 'M25 Raves' in the late 80's organised by Centreforce-Radio (West Ham thingy), they used to pitch-up a humongous sound-system in a field bordering the M25, no-one knew where the 'illegal rave' would be held so you had to listen to the radio for the announcement, you were told which car(s) to look out for on the M25 and follow them to the rave.... I was one of the venue-drivers, mental days that were outlawed by Thatcher sadly.

Ya man, remember the same days but further up north.

It was pure ecstasy, the music was great also.

And then

Thatcher tried but failed to stop them, however by 1991, there was more cops at raves than actual ravers.

Then it was a bad trip all the way back home.

Did I ever mention that I spun some vinyl with my technics SL1210’s. By the end of 1991, I sold them to pay off some debt.

Rick says Hi.

My debt was from argos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back