Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 26, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #14,014 of 22,475
And before anybody starts saying LPS, these devices provide no rejection from 10 MHz and above, as they do not employ RF filters- but a SMPS must employ filters, both on the OP and back to the mains.

ahahahaaa,

Rob works just like domestos, he kills linear psu users dead.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #14,016 of 22,475
Anyone have an opinion on whether or not I should use the Audioquest Jitterbug with Hugo2?

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #14,017 of 22,475
Anyone have an opinion on whether or not I should use the Audioquest Jitterbug with Hugo2?
I think Rob Watts has posted in the DAVE thread, that he read posts stating the benefits of using the Jitterbug, so out of curiosity he tried one.

He found that although the Jitterbug has no effect on jitter (in fairness the audioquest adverts never make any claims regarding jitter), it does produce a slight reduction in noise, so he regards it as a cost effective addition to a system.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #14,018 of 22,475
I think Rob Watts has posted in the DAVE thread, that he read posts stating the benefits of using the Jitterbug, so out of curiosity he tried one.

He found that although the Jitterbug has no effect on jitter (in fairness the audioquest adverts never make any claims regarding jitter), it does produce a slight reduction in noise, so he regards it as a cost effective addition to a system.

Thanks. Yeah, I use one with my Hugo TT however that's on my Mac, which I assume could have some noise in the USB due to all the electronics/hard drives, etc. Frankly, I don't really notice much sound difference either way. I think Chord's USB is so good that it may not matter much.

I guess I'll try it on the Hugo 2 though.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #14,020 of 22,475
So do you guys think a Jitterbug would make a difference with an iPhone as the source? Is that what you’re wondering Mediahound?

Exactly. I wonder if there is wifi/LTE noise in the iPhone that it could potentially help with.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #14,021 of 22,475
Exactly. I wonder if there is wifi/LTE noise in the iPhone that it could potentially help with.

I remember noticing a slight high pitched noise with my iPhone 6 and Mojo paired with an Ether C Flow, but it was eliminated in airplane mode.

Now with an iPhone X, Hugo 2, and Z1R I can’t hear it, but I’m not sure what the component is that eliminated it. But I assume if you listen in airplane mode all the time anyway a Jitterbug won’t really make any difference?

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #14,022 of 22,475
Potential EMI from cellular phones will not be corrected with the Jitterbug. The only solution is distance from the audio device (including headphone cables), or airplane mode.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #14,023 of 22,475
Potential EMI from cellular phones will not be corrected with the Jitterbug. The only solution is distance from the audio device (including headphone cables), or airplane mode.

So, not worth using then?

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #14,024 of 22,475
Hi all,

I decided to pull the trigger for the Hugo 2 but I was surprised about the lack of LDAC and aptX-HD. I was checking to see if Rob sent anything on that but could not find. Does anyone know the reason? Such a high end device as H2 having only aptX is surprising for me. I wonder if it is because of the licensing policies of Qualcomm and Sony, or does Chord not see much use cases for them, or is it just that there were no gates left on the FPGA? Or some radio level interference issues?

Cheers

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #14,025 of 22,475
Hi all,

I decided to pull the trigger for the Hugo 2 but I was surprised about the lack of LDAC and aptX-HD. I was checking to see if Rob sent anything on that but could not find. Does anyone know the reason? Such a high end device as H2 having only aptX is surprising for me. I wonder if it is because of the licensing policies of Qualcomm and Sony, or does Chord not see much use cases for them, or is it just that there were no gates left on the FPGA? Or some radio level interference issues?

Cheers
Welcome to the Hugo 2 club.
Remember the Hugo 2 is a dac, not a streamer.
Maybe your wishes will be answered when the 2Go (the companion streamer to the H2) is released, hopefully in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back