Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 20, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #8,506 of 22,475
Christer doesn't own a Hugo 2... he just owns many many many opinions and philosophies regarding Hugo 2

Very good or should I say, droll? Do we think that Christer will ever buy a Hugo 2?

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #8,507 of 22,475
Do you guys recommend getting the leather case for it by the way?

Since the unit can get quite hot, I would assume best is not to use a case so that it cools better?

My mojo still looks like new despite carrying it also everyday to the office with no case. So i guess the Hugo 2 is not easily scratched also if I don’t use a case?

I will not personally be buying for my soon to arrive Hugo 2 but I will be using it on my desk (replacing the only hi-fi bargain, a AQ DF Red) but I guess if you travelled a lot with a Hugo 2 then a case would make sense.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #8,508 of 22,475
Do you guys recommend getting the leather case for it by the way?

Since the unit can get quite hot, I would assume best is not to use a case so that it cools better?

My mojo still looks like new despite carrying it also everyday to the office with no case. So i guess the Hugo 2 is not easily scratched also if I don’t use a case?
If you gonna carry the Hugo 2 in pocket, tie it to belt, take it to gym or beach; yeah maybe. Otherwise it mostly just adds looks.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #8,510 of 22,475
Ha ha, you tell him M8...I've read this entire thread from P 1 (ordered my H2 via AS, it's arriving in about 3 weeks time, black) and the thread has been really useful although as in common with most threads, it has (often amusingly) wandered here & there.

John/Rob, I know it was stated way back but should I use my Audioquest Jitterbug with my soon to arrive Hugo 2?

No don't bother - it has the RF filtering built into the Hugo 2 USB inputs, with both GND and VBUS filtered.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #8,512 of 22,475
I am still picking my jaw off the floor after my test of ferrites on my USB chain. I thought I was done with isolation (battery and intona and good laptop) ...but GAWDDAMN I have a new system with two RFI ferrites (material #43) each double looped thru my long USB cable. Just more of everything and more audible distant echoes from the recording venue. Even my daughter asked me if I bought new speakers.
I am also pissed ...at all DAC manufacturers. Obviously Galvanic isolation does not cover high frequency noise (10Mz-300Mhz) which quite clearly affect SQ. Did they not test this?? So we pay thousands for a DAC ...only to have it transformed by a $10 part ??
I am going to get ~GHz ferrites this week to further test....as this is what R.Watts recommends for his BLU2 to Dave link.
It's crazy ...now I'm reading electrical engineering forums about isolation of medical devices and electron microscopes.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #8,513 of 22,475
I am still picking my jaw off the floor after my test of ferrites on my USB chain. I thought I was done with isolation (battery and intona and good laptop) ...but GAWDDAMN I have a new system with two RFI ferrites (material #43) each double looped thru my long USB cable. Just more of everything and more audible distant echoes from the recording venue. Even my daughter asked me if I bought new speakers.
I am also pissed ...at all DAC manufacturers. Obviously Galvanic isolation does not cover high frequency noise (10Mz-300Mhz) which quite clearly affect SQ. Did they not test this?? So we pay thousands for a DAC ...only to have it transformed by a $10 part ??
I am going to get ~GHz ferrites this week to further test....as this is what R.Watts recommends for his BLU2 to Dave link.
It's crazy ...now I'm reading electrical engineering forums about isolation of medical devices and electron microscopes.

Why isn't there a ferrite in included micro USB cable if makes a difference?

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #8,514 of 22,475
Don't no, don't care. If he wants something, he might as well get his Benchmark 3 and have done with it.

I wasn't expecting you to take my question seriously, tbh! Tongue was firmly in cheek.........

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #8,515 of 22,475

Do you mean termites? Do you have an infestation problem? Sorry, I don't understand your post :confused:

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #8,516 of 22,475
Why isn't there a ferrite in included micro USB cable if makes a difference?

Hmm,some cables maybe do include ferrites?
The proper NOT micro usb, usb cable I use with my Benchmark DAC2 has got two circular "swellings" ,one at each end of the cable .Maybe they are ferrites?
I don't really know what they are. But unlike my HUGO I have never had any clearly audible RF/ EMI problems with my Benchmark. But very disturbing and annoying ones with my HUGO.
This being one of several other reasons I am still a bit wary regarding HUGO 2.
Hooster's 6 points list also leaps to mind .
I don't want to pay premium price for H2 and still risk encountering similar problems as with HUGO.
"Once bitten -twice shy", inevitably leads to "many many many philosophies" in my case.
On a more positive note regarding HUGO2 I can mention that it sounded better to me via my HEKV2 with some very demanding densely scored reference tracks than for example the similarly priced electrostatic Sonoma Model One combo selling for roughly 6000SGD.

On the other hand,there was also a puzzling post a while ago where Rob himself recommended Audioquest Jitterbug with DAVE if the laptop was connected to the mains.
That post raised my eyebrows a bit. I also thought if the problems are known why aren't they solved?
And especially so with VERY PREMIUM PRICED products like Chord DACs?
Over at What's Best Forum where they discuss similar things Audioquest Jitterbug was listed and MEASURED as basically, at best placebo,and at worst actually adding distortions.
Food for thought.

I personally have very limited technical knowledge regarding these things. But since I have quite a number of direct to the source reference recordings, and still reasonably good hearing ,I know I am not imaging things or a victim of placebo, when I state differences and problems I hear between different DACs headphones and such.
To delve deeper into the rbcd capabilities of BLU2/DAVE, luckily, I did not have to hunt for classical rbcds, which can be difficult these days.I was given a promo copy of another Rachmaninov recording by the SSO/BIS from a series I have heard live,by the SSO the other day which I will use to compare rbcd with the orginal 24/96 masterfiles.
My first auditions with the rbcd layer of a native DSD64 recording and an early DGG digital recording where interesting. But I need native hi res pcm to rbcd pcm to come to a firmer conclusion.
I am still looking for an opportunity to hear BLU2/DAVE via a really good speaker system.
So far all I can say is that those same Rachmaninov recordings sounded about as close to live as I have EVER heard them via ANY HIFI system, through the Estelon EXTREME speakers and 1kw monoblocks and a dac from Simaudio MOON equipment in one of the best demo rooms in Singapore.
Firmly SOTA.
All the above and all my earlier posts here written with the assumption that this is still a discussion thread/Forum and not only a Chord Fanboy meeting room.
If that is not the case, "mea culpa"
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #8,518 of 22,475
There is full RF filtering using ferrites and ultra small ceramic capacitors with ultra low inductance on the USB VBUS and USB ground. My listening tests have revealed no change at all in SQ with many different USB cables; moreover, I would be amazed if ferrites on the USB cable made any difference at all on the USB, as chip ferrites and chip caps are much more effective at removing both differential and common mode noise than cable ferrites.

I was very surprised to discover that I could hear no difference whatsoever between a lap-top source that had both optical and of course USB on Hugo 2's inputs using headphones. Surprised? Because it was unexpected, in that although optical is galvanically isolated (good) it is not locked to Hugo 2's master clock (bad) unlike USB.

And no I would not like this thread to simply be a Chord fanboy thread; but on the other hand, I do not want to read endless posts of complete nonsense going on and on with absurdly unreasonable demands and inane criticisms with a sole intent to nit-pick over spurious issues. This does the reader nor the writer any good; unless of course the writer is receiving some other benefit in writing such posts.

Rob

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #8,519 of 22,475
Round one, be gentle guys! :deadhorse:

giphy.gif

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #8,520 of 22,475
I have to say that Chord did an amazing job with the Hugo 2. An all round portable device that works with my IEM's and also with my full sized headphones. (Mojo only sounded descent with IEM's imo).

I really do not like DAP's as they barely sound better than my iPhone + lighting cable adapter. I rather stick with my iPhone than buying an expensive DAP.

I mainly use it in the office. For the times that I am outside, I can live with using my iPhone + lighting to headphone (there is a DAC inside it) output adapter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back