Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 19, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8,491 of 22,516
Guys, I think that some of you are taking all this stuff far too seriously. I have looked back and reread Christers comments and he makes very good points as usual to me, he is as entitled as anyone to air his honest opinion.

If some of you want to make a Fanboy exclusive thread - then why don't you PM each other or go on Facebook, etc. :smile_phones:

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #8,492 of 22,516
Guys, I think that some of you are taking all this stuff far too seriously. I have looked back and reread Christers comments and he makes very good points as usual to me, he is as entitled as anyone to air his honest opinion.

If some of you want to make a Fanboy exclusive thread - then why don't you PM each other or go on Facebook, etc. :smile_phones:

Christer doesn't own a Hugo 2... he just owns many many many opinions and philosophies regarding Hugo 2

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #8,493 of 22,516
Christer doesn't own a Hugo 2... he just owns many many many opinions and philosophies regarding Hugo 2

You have to admit that Head-Fi would not be the same without our Christer! :o2smile:

I am surprised that someone did not take offence or rant about his reference to - the woman who changed a hard disc as easily as a nappy! :ksc75smile:

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #8,494 of 22,516
I think you are right there.

Really? Hahahhahahahah. No wonder bluetooth sounded so bad over my iPhone which doesn’t support aptx.

But I guess they want to force people to go buy their wireless module instead of using the bluetooth functionality.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #8,496 of 22,516
Really? Hahahhahahahah. No wonder bluetooth sounded so bad over my iPhone which doesn’t support aptx.

But I guess they want to force people to go buy their wireless module instead of using the bluetooth functionality.

Cheap shot.

Hugo 2 has no need to make excuses. The bluetooth is a bonus, not a pivotal feature. How many DACs in this price bracket perform at the same level as Hugo 2 and offer bluetooth functionality?

Hugo 2 isn't pennies but it offers unprecedented technical performance at it's price point.

You just can't please all of the people all of the time
Shrug emoticon.gif

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #8,497 of 22,516
It is quite easy to outfit the Hugo 2 with the latest Bluetooth codecs. Even budget Wireless headphones have it. And considering that this a high-end device ....

By the way, the Hugo 1 also had bluetooth. So bluetooth on the Hugo 2 is not a bonus, but a feature that should be there as it is a the successor of the Hugo 1.

It looks like I might need to buy that wireless module as it is annoying sometimes when I left the lighting adapter for the iPhone at home.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #8,498 of 22,516
Cheap shot.

Hugo 2 has no need to make excuses. The bluetooth is a bonus, not a pivotal feature. How many DACs in this price bracket perform at the same level as Hugo 2 and offer bluetooth functionality?

Hugo 2 isn't pennies but it offers unprecedented technical performance at it's price point.

You just can't please all of the people all of the time
Frankly I am surprised they even included Bluetooth connectivity. Its definitely a bonus feature only as the hugo2 deserves a wired input.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #8,499 of 22,516
can poly work with h2/dave?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #8,500 of 22,516
Check out of the original Chord Hugo 1. Then you see that bluetooth support is not an added bonus but a feature. The Chord Hugo 2 is not the Chord Mojo 2.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #8,501 of 22,516
Do you guys recommend getting the leather case for it by the way?

Since the unit can get quite hot, I would assume best is not to use a case so that it cools better?

My mojo still looks like new despite carrying it also everyday to the office with no case. So i guess the Hugo 2 is not easily scratched also if I don’t use a case?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #8,502 of 22,516
Do you guys recommend getting the leather case for it by the way?

Since the unit can get quite hot, I would assume best is not to use a case so that it cools better?

My mojo still looks like new despite carrying it also everyday to the office with no case. So i guess the Hugo 2 is not easily scratched also if I don’t use a case?
Same reason I don't plan on getting a case; heat. The only way I get a case is if the 2go has the features I desire. And there's also the added disadvantage of negating the 24-hour desktop battery-saving parameter.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #8,503 of 22,516
Most of you guys probably know, but I just found out today... that you can dim the lights by pressing the first and third buttons together.
In case some of you didn't know.

Thanks, my Hugo 2 arrives in 3 weeks time, I found the dem Hugo 2's buttons too bright for me.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #8,504 of 22,516
I can firmly say that you are wrong concerning your premise on the price which we are paying for our cases we are paying far more than you suggest for each item also we are the designers of it. I resent the implied suggestions that we are profiteering from low cost manufacture

Ha ha, you tell him M8...I've read this entire thread from P 1 (ordered my H2 via AS, it's arriving in about 3 weeks time, black) and the thread has been really useful although as in common with most threads, it has (often amusingly) wandered here & there.

John/Rob, I know it was stated way back but should I use my Audioquest Jitterbug with my soon to arrive Hugo 2?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #8,505 of 22,516
Let's not get overly precious. Who you buy from and what you pay them is your business. The same goes for Chord. They are in business to make money and they employ people who have families to support. Profit is not a dirty word.

Regarding the discussion of how the products are designed I see them as being very positive and helpful. Chord has used feedback from forums to improve it's products in the past and will no doubt continue to do so in the future, benefiting customers and themselves in the process.

To me the biggest weaknesses of Hugo2 are:

1. Price.

2. Concerns regarding the life/quality of the internal batteries that are not user replaceable. They only offer an 18 month warranty for the batteries. There must be a reason for this.

3. No RCA Spdif input and no proper USB input.

4. The way the inputs and outputs are placed on the case is inconvenient. If you use this as a desktop dac you will have cables coming out of the front and back. If there is a lack of room, some inputs/outputs could have been put on one or both sides.

5. This is a high end, high fidelity piece of equipment. Was there really any need to add bluetooth?

6. Ergonomics that are most suited to the 0.5% of the population who read and memorize manuals.

Please don't take this the wrong way. This is just the opinion of 1 person. Thousands of people have payed the high price that Chord is asking for the Hugo2 and that proves that Chord have made an outstanding product.

The Chord Hugo 2 is expensive? I think the ONLY inexpensive bit of hi-fi kit I've EVER bought is the Audioquest Dragonflies. Even my Furutech 13amp power plugs were expensive and don't let's talk about A & K SP1000's or Focal Utopia headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back