Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #13,396 of 22,473
Got my Hugo 2 to go along with the Hugo TT and MojoPoly I have had for awhile. I listened over the weekend quite extensively using my Utopia's. The new Hugo 2 is a bit more detailed but when it comes to pure musicality I kept going to the Hugo TT. The MojoPoly is perfect with Senn IE800s for in bed listening but has trouble driving the Utopia's and I didn't expect it to be used with them. I think the Hugo 2 may have a home at one of the listening stations along with the Senn HD650's or AK Rosies. BTW - Music is served up with Roon. Has anyone found the Hugo 2 sound signature changes with break in?

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #13,397 of 22,473
Got my Hugo 2 to go along with the Hugo TT and MojoPoly I have had for awhile. I listened over the weekend quite extensively using my Utopia's. The new Hugo 2 is a bit more detailed but when it comes to pure musicality I kept going to the Hugo TT. The MojoPoly is perfect with Senn IE800s for in bed listening but has trouble driving the Utopia's and I didn't expect it to be used with them. I think the Hugo 2 may have a home at one of the listening stations along with the Senn HD650's or AK Rosies. BTW - Music is served up with Roon. Has anyone found the Hugo 2 sound signature changes with break in?

I never noticed any changes with break in, has sounded the same since day one.

But, not to put a downer on things, I do not believe in things like that, not saying its wrong, just dont hear it myself.

Have been told that TT has more oompth than H2.

Roon, its too good, really is.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #13,398 of 22,473
Absolutely no break-in. As for Ruin: I hate it with a passion. It is yet another software that went out of its way not to be accessible. Every reviewer, poster, manufacturer etc, flogs it like it's God or something. Why do the hi-end audio screws go out of their way to shut us out and remind us of that everyday? First JRiver with a condescending note as to why. Then HQ player. If a free player such as FB2K can do it, why can't Ruin and all the others?

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #13,399 of 22,473
Absolutely no break-in. As for Ruin: I hate it with a passion. It is yet another software that went out of its way not to be accessible. Every reviewer, poster, manufacturer etc, flogs it like it's God or something. Why do the hi-end audio screws go out of their way to shut us out and remind us of that everyday? First JRiver with a condescending note as to why. Then HQ player. If a free player such as FB2K can do it, why can't Ruin and all the others?

Although I think roon is great.

Does not like the price, but it had tidal intergration so, it kinda won me over.

Can relate to Jriver, although good, when it works, but on my pc it is like one of them, what you call them again, yea, a bitch, its like one of them.

< pc genius, so its not my pc.

Probably is, but Jriver is crash happy and having to get up to restart it is annoying, even if I do do it using an ipad, to vnc into my puters and click on icon.

Just because I dont have to get out of my bed to do it, it still takes up some of my resources to do so and is annoying.

Roon does not do this and works on all my iDevices flawlessly, which makes it infinitly > Gheyriver

Ok, MQA is next.

...... .... .... .... ... argh

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 9, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #13,401 of 22,473
For a long time I was fanatically a playlist-only iTunes user. So I switched to Audirvana Plus. However if I wanted to have multiple outputs, that wasn't possible, so I ended up with tediously synced libraries on multiple computers. In the end, I decided I'd try Roon for a year as I could keep all my music in one place on a spare computer. I hate finding music on it (probably not helped by some broken tags here and there) but I ended up switching because I stream to multiple DACs connected to anything with the Roon endpoint installed. If I want to add a component, I can just get one of a great many micro-computers and install DietPi and hook it up via a USB A-B adaptor to the back.

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #13,402 of 22,473
@Rob Watts will you be doing a talk at CanJam London. If so, can you say what day and time. Thanks.

Yes will be! I am doing two seminars - first one at 1PM Saturday will be to launch something new, then I will be talking about the tech behind the new product. Then on Sunday again at 1PM it will be Hugo TT2.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #13,404 of 22,473
I was strictly a iTunes playlist-only person for a long time, only switching to Audirvana Plus for the better sound quality. I maintained carefully and frustratingly synchronised iTunes libraries across multiple computers as a result. I ended up giving Roon a go, and now they've fixed a lot (and arguably screwed up in different ways) their somewhat annoying UI, I'm used to it. The main thing is that I can keep my library on one computer and then from any device have it stream anywhere there is a Roon endpoint. With a couple of DietPi-powered Raspberry Pi computers I can switch things around as I please.

IMG_1251.jpg

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #13,405 of 22,473
Yes will be! I am doing two seminars - first one at 1PM Saturday will be to launch something new, then I will be talking about the tech behind the new product. Then on Sunday again at 1PM it will be Hugo TT2.

I smell portable Mscaler and 2go, not sure about 2go as John is on holiday, on the phone to me last night.

I would of thought new kit = john and rob, but I dunno, have no idea how you roll.

I just know that I roll deep.

Deep

Deep undacova.

Hi @Rob Watts, @Mojo ideas says you would love to meet me at canjam, would if I could but I cant, possibly, not sure so its maybe no, but could be yes, but only if I get to fly in your Airbus A380 < gotta be fly emirates, as promised, I dont do quantas.

Cheers Rob

Lots of love

Paul.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #13,406 of 22,473
I was strictly a iTunes playlist-only person for a long time, only switching to Audirvana Plus for the better sound quality. I maintained carefully and frustratingly synchronised iTunes libraries across multiple computers as a result. I ended up giving Roon a go, and now they've fixed a lot (and arguably screwed up in different ways) their somewhat annoying UI, I'm used to it. The main thing is that I can keep my library on one computer and then from any device have it stream anywhere there is a Roon endpoint. With a couple of DietPi-powered Raspberry Pi computers I can switch things around as I please.

I can so relate as I was an iTunes guy for ages and had also gone through a list of players (Winamp, Foobar, Jriver, Media Monkey, Media Go, Media Center, etc) and I would say Roon is actually one of the better players out there, especially if you are trying to maintain a single coherent library while playing it on different computers (and now I actually don't have to with Roon). Foobar to me is a toolkit (I maintain a portable version of it with all the necessary plugins) but it is simply not a good player, I use it to do conversions and stuff, but I never use it to play music because it is just ugly and like many OSS takes years of tweaking to make right. JRiver asking me to pay for each full point upgrade was just a no go since ver16. And I can go on and on about the advantages/disadvantages of all the other pieces of software in my list, but Roon, despite its flaws, is actually very high up in my good software player list.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #13,407 of 22,473
Thanks, Rob. I’ll aim to get there for Saturday and will do my best to get into what is likely to be a packed-out seminar.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #13,408 of 22,473
When you say "FB2K can do it", what is "it"?
Allow a screen reader for the blind to read the Ruin UI, and to permit the various controls to be read and accessed for operation. So when people go on and on and on and on about all the great things they can do with Ruin, isn't it obvious why I feel like crushing a few throats? All I can say is, at least JF actually acknowledged my concerns, and is at least giving consideration to my needs in designing the 2go. Even if it can't be used by blind guys, he didn't blow me off like Jim from JRiver.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #13,410 of 22,473

I think it’s short-sighted of Roon not to have accessibility features. While I understand a large part of their software is the GUI, there are still the RAAT protocol and all the metadata that you could benefit from. And, I would think development in this area would support environments where a GUI is not desirable anyway, like mobile/car audio. Good luck finding something great that works for you (edit: and your Hugo 2...,keeping it on topic)!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back