Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 4, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #13,366 of 22,511
Hi all, I have some problems when I want to listen H2 with the charger. It shut down after a few minutes. With the battery no problem of course. I have tried to charge it more than 24 hours, to left it connected, always the same. The only way to listen it without any problem is on battery. However when I am at home and when battery discharged I want to be able to use it with the charger. Any help will be very appreciated.

Something similar: with the charger plugged in and H2 left powered on for several weeks, H2 turns off by itself. I discovered that the battery was completely exhausted (blinking red lights) after disconnecting the charger and turning on H2. I don't understand what is going on. I suppose either the charger itself or H2's charging circuit has an occasional problem. My solution so far has been to unplug the charger, power cycle H2, plug the charger back in, and let it charge. After doing so, the battery is fine, H2 can play its usual duration on the battery.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #13,367 of 22,511
Hi, thanks I will try that.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #13,368 of 22,511
I found the review of the Hugo 2 that made a comparison to vinyl. (I was talking about it some time ago.)

It's from Hi-FI Choice issue 428, October 2017.

It says,
"You start hearing things in a way that normally only comes from high quality vinyl; a top turntable running a serious moving coil cartridge".

(That's from the Hi-Fi Choice Hugo 2 review, so it might also be online.)

Well in my opinion the embarrasing fact for digital after all these years, is that in some ways it still struggles to sound as efffortless and realistic especially regarding acoustic instrument timbre and tonality as really good vinyl.
Many well recorded classical music LPs from the early sixties from most labels active in those days even bad rep DGG, will allow one to easily hear the venue walls and the simpler the miking the more coherent and realistic the soundstage will be as well.
An important aspect of realism most digital still fails to reproduce as believably as vinyl for various reasons.

There is a certain warming and coloration and a bit limited dynamic range with large scale classical music from most vinyl. But in many cases I can live more easily with those limitations than the weird artefacts and distortions digital introduces.
My ear/brain has bigger problems sorting out and making sense of some things that digital introduces than the limitations of vinyl.
Interesting that they say "you start to hear things...".

My guess is that it actually takes something like DAVE/BLU2 or the very best PRO systems from dCs/and Merging and others to truly rival analogue at its best.Timbrally and tonally my own old vinyl system still clearly rivals and sometimes even betters the three DACs and digital disc players I have.
Cheers Christer currently enjoying lots of vinyl whilst patiently waiting for an M-scaler to aid my Qutest.
A Davina might help to push things digital closer to the real thing too.

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #13,369 of 22,511
HELP! My H2 does not get recognized by my PC's or Android devices anymore. The first time, switching it off on on again helped and it worked again. Now, whatever I do, it does not show up under audio devices. I re-installed drivers, tried several different USB cables on 2 different PC's that worked well in the past. Also with my Samsung S9+, no connection.

I think I have pretty much exhausted all external error possibilities, my conclusion is that it must be the H2 itself. Did anyone have similar issues? Thoughts?

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #13,370 of 22,511
HELP! My H2 does not get recognized by my PC's or Android devices anymore. The first time, switching it off on on again helped and it worked again. Now, whatever I do, it does not show up under audio devices. I re-installed drivers, tried several different USB cables on 2 different PC's that worked well in the past. Also with my Samsung S9+, no connection.

I think I have pretty much exhausted all external error possibilities, my conclusion is that it must be the H2 itself. Did anyone have similar issues? Thoughts?

Sounds faulty. For the short term, you could use optical.

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #13,371 of 22,511

@Rob Watts Hi Rob, sorry to approach you directly like this, but would you have an idea what could be wrong with my H2?

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #13,372 of 22,511
It sounds like the USB decoder has failed, as you have tried 3 sources and two cables. Sometimes it's the windows update that means the drivers need re installation, or the latest driver from chord; but that doesn't explain the android phone not working.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #13,373 of 22,511
Nevermind, rob answered whilst I was making my post.

Deleted.

For nosey folk.

It consisted of possible usb port solder crack/failure etc.

Actually, upon re-reading.

He mentions he tried 2 usb cables and on his pc and phone, both of which were possibly done using just the usb port ?

H2 is obviously faulty, but has he tried using bt, opt and coax to see if he gets sound via them ? If so, it might possibly narrow it down to the usb data port.

Its probably as rob said, but if it was say, solder cracked, maybe easily and quickly repairable by retailer ?

I spose it probably doesnt matter, either way it has to be sent away.

Hope its a quick turn around fix time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 5, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #13,374 of 22,511

This happened to my H2 as well. I got an exchange very quickly from the retailer - but I would of been interested to have found out what caused the fault.....

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #13,375 of 22,511
This happened to my H2 as well. I got an exchange very quickly from the retailer - but I would of been interested to have found out what caused the fault.....

If I had to guess, heat ? I presume the chip is good for atleast 80oC, maybe even upto 110oC ? But it can get toasty at times, hence why I took it out of the leather case in summer.

The first sign of heat damage to a chip is not a direct death but damage to some of its capabilities, in some cases all.

Just ask Asus why they thought they needed a heatsink and fan that ran @ 20’000 rpm ( not a joke ) on a A8N SLI Deluxe Nforce 4 mobo back in 2005.

I got so sick of replacing it that I went commando.

Commando was just the cancer that I needed to force me to start using intel again.

< Not happy as I really do miss blowing up old AMD cpu’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 5, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #13,376 of 22,511
So when I contacted Chord re: keeping my Hugo TT on all the time.. they suggested turning it off after each use to exercise the batteries. Is the TT a different charging system?

The benefit of keeping it on is that it keeps the battery to about 80% charge, which is the voltage needed for maximum life. Because the charging current is set to be about the same as the current that Hugo 2 draws, then there is no (or very small) nett current into or out of the battery, so you are not losing out on the charge/discharge cycles life. Assuming that the battery is 10% nett charge from the charger, then that means that you would have a charge discharge life of 10 (1 over 10%) *1000 (no of charge discharge cycles for 50% capacity left) *8 (no of hours a discharge cycle is) which comes to 80,000 hours of operation - or about 10 years of being on permanently. But even with 50% capacity, Hugo 2 will still work perfectly well in standby mode, and will actually work with 0% battery capacity (or battery disconnected). Of course, this assumes the battery does not fail with an internal short!

The intent upon switching it off, is that the unit will be later used for mobile, so the charger is set to fully charge the batteries to 100%.

See my reply above...

It means the charger has detected a fault - this is normally due to the charger providing less than the minimum 1A current needed.

Sorry it's not my project! But I have been told by John Franks that the development is proceeding forward well, and it will be launched later this year...

You will potentially have problems with thermal shutdown if you run it at red or flashing red battery and charge at the same time. The reason for this is the charger has greater internal power dissipation with low battery voltage. When I travel on long flights greater than 8 hours, I have my Hugo 2 on top of the lap-top vents, so it is naturally warm, and I use my battery back-up bank at blue battery light - and even though the ambient is 40 deg C, sat on top of the lap-top, it never shuts down. But if I forget to add the battery bank, and it is at flashing red, then it can shut-down with the battery charger connected.

Wait till you hear it via an M Scaler...

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #13,377 of 22,511
Well in my opinion the embarrasing fact for digital after all these years, is that in some ways it still struggles to sound as efffortless and realistic especially regarding acoustic instrument timbre and tonality as really good vinyl.
Many well recorded classical music LPs from the early sixties from most labels active in those days even bad rep DGG, will allow one to easily hear the venue walls and the simpler the miking the more coherent and realistic the soundstage will be as well.
An important aspect of realism most digital still fails to reproduce as believably as vinyl for various reasons.

There is a certain warming and coloration and a bit limited dynamic range with large scale classical music from most vinyl. But in many cases I can live more easily with those limitations than the weird artefacts and distortions digital introduces.
My ear/brain has bigger problems sorting out and making sense of some things that digital introduces than the limitations of vinyl.
Interesting that they say "you start to hear things...".

My guess is that it actually takes something like DAVE/BLU2 or the very best PRO systems from dCs/and Merging and others to truly rival analogue at its best.Timbrally and tonally my own old vinyl system still clearly rivals and sometimes even betters the three DACs and digital disc players I have.
Cheers Christer currently enjoying lots of vinyl whilst patiently waiting for an M-scaler to aid my Qutest.
A Davina might help to push things digital closer to the real thing too.
You might want to read some of Mark Waldrep-Dr. AIX's-newsletters. Vinyl has limited dynamic range, frequency response and other compromises to make sure the needle stays in the groove withot too much trouble. Tape, from which we get most of our digital remasters, is also compromised and subject to diminished quality due to wear. Complete digital recording at a reasonably high resolution, is in his opinion, superior. I don't know for sure. But, I for one do not miss vinyl, nor will I ever go back to it. I like xtal clear sound without the masking of so-called warm sound of analogue. Infirior all the way Xter.

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #13,378 of 22,511
My then owned H2 also failed at the usb port last summer after trying with multiple usb sources. It seemed to fail immediately after using the cck3 apple cable to connect to ipad. This makes sense to me but when i brought it up at the time no one took any notice of me. Maybe the android phone's close proximity to H2 has fried the usb receiver here like the ipad could have. An educated guess.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #13,379 of 22,511
So when I contacted Chord re: keeping my Hugo TT on all the time.. they suggested turning it off after each use to exercise the batteries. Is the TT a different charging system?
I believe the H2's battery circuitry is different. My original Hugo would discharge over a couple of days if I left it on. And the TT was an outgroath of the Hugo.

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #13,380 of 22,511
You might want to read some of Mark Waldrep-Dr. AIX's-newsletters. Vinyl has limited dynamic range, frequency response and other compromises to make sure the needle stays in the groove withot too much trouble. Tape, from which we get most of our digital remasters, is also compromised and subject to diminished quality due to wear. Complete digital recording at a reasonably high resolution, is in his opinion, superior. I don't know for sure. But, I for one do not miss vinyl, nor will I ever go back to it. I like xtal clear sound without the masking of so-called warm sound of analogue. Infirior all the way Xter.

Although, I have moments when listening to old vinyl records and really enjoy it, I just cannot believe that digital is worse than vinyl.

I like both and they both have their uses, example, late at night, glass of wine/whisky in hand, chilling out to some vinyl golden oldies.

And then, during the day, great quality flac or dsd files, extreme portability, it cannot be beat in my opinion, which is possibly frowned upon.

I would take good digital audio over vinyl 98% of the time. I personally think vinyl today, I think its overrated, too much people clinging on to it and trying to push the, “vinyl is still the best” mantra onto folks who think it may not be.

I am not saying its wrong and that they should not do it, I just think audio has surpassed the vinyl era. As mentioned, both have their uses and both are good, its just that I prefer digital over vinyl and if given the option, Say all new albums were also released on vinyl today, I still would not use vinyl more than digital.

Suppose it boils down to different strokes for different folks.

Thats how I feel about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back