Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 6, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #13,381 of 22,511
When using the volume dial is it slight pressure downwards then turn either left or right? When i had my my H2 i did not exert any slight pressure downwards? Clarification appreciated. MK. In the manual the finger points downwards into the volume ball.

If you ask me you should just adjust the volume and not worry about it. It can hardly be so fragile that it could be damaged in this way.

By the way, have you managed to save up for a DAVE plus Blu yet?

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #13,382 of 22,511
You might want to read some of Mark Waldrep-Dr. AIX's-newsletters. Vinyl has limited dynamic range, frequency response and other compromises to make sure the needle stays in the groove withot too much trouble. Tape, from which we get most of our digital remasters, is also compromised and subject to diminished quality due to wear. Complete digital recording at a reasonably high resolution, is in his opinion, superior. I don't know for sure. But, I for one do not miss vinyl, nor will I ever go back to it. I like xtal clear sound without the masking of so-called warm sound of analogue. Infirior all the way Xter.

Hello, I don't miss vinyl either I have loads and loads of good LPS in my collection. The best choice I have ever made in HIFI was NOT to fall for the early digital CD is perfect forever hype.
But yes things are maturing with digital.
Like I said I am fully aware of the many limitations of vinyl and tape. I don't need to read what Mr Waldrep has to say on the subject. I have my own references and masters.
I use my own ears to judge which limitations I find it easier to cope with,those of analogue or those of low res digital.
But one thing is clear to me both from being at sessions and hearing mic feed and both analogue tape and digital at recording sessions. Digital is still not perfect!

At one of his seminars at Canjam in Singapore Rob Watts said he hoped that in the future nobody would use 16/44.1 any longer. 24/768khz would be the new and in his opinion new reference digital recording standard.

But I enjoy lots of both current well recorded and mastered hi res digital and vinyl in my home system.
Vinyl mainly for its often more accurate instrumental timbres and tonality of strings. And digital for increased dynamic range to sum things up quickly and without getting into too much discussion.
Yesterday after having tested Qutest with some rbcds and one mid 80s rbcd recording of Debussy's La Mer in particular, I went through the best of my recordings of that work in my collection and the winner was definitely not on LP.
Although Karajan and the BPO are inimitable purely musically on their 1960s DGG LP recording.
They sound worse and quite digital in the negative sense of the word DIGITAL as hard and low res, on rbcd hard and not very resolved in comparison to for example the SSO on a BIS SACD via my large electrostatic speakers and lots of watts powering them.
One of my references by the way where I know exactly how things sounded in the hall
The DGG rbcd breaks up and sounds hard opaque and uncomfortable at a much lower volume level, than the SACD and the LP was not exactly anything to boast about SQ wise either.
But via Qutest and the same speakers/amping and at 1V setting for gain my Chandos Deneuve/RSO 24/96 download sounded very nice effortless warm and realistic indeed.
Even better than the SACD.
With good and well mastered hi res recordings Qutest is quite a little gem,still though, NO DAVE nor DAVE/BLU 2.
With those two in combo I think the gap between the best of analogue and digital is so close or even nonexistant that there isn't that much to argue about more than the price of entry into that Exclusive Club.
But maybe the 24/768 Davina will push things digital one step further towards the real thing.
Because one more thing is absolutely clear to,me NO recording system I have ever heard can capture acoustic instruments exactly as they sound live.
And certainly no system would cope with the live BACH Lizst organ recital on a BIG Church organ I heard live last night.
The more often one exposes oneself to live acoustic music the more obvious the different shortcomings of both digital and analogue manifest themselves.
Unlike some here who because they have not heard digital sound as good as say H2 before, they mistakenly think it is perfect. I know it isn't!
But so far I am only willing to pay the price of Qutest to get digital reproduction at this level in my home.
But I know for sure that good as my Qutest is it is NOT the best by far.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #13,383 of 22,511
I'm in Chamonix for a few days (work). I understand it is quite beautiful. Will it warrant packing a bit of warm clothing at night?

Hugo 2 is serving me well and is especially valued on trips. I look forward to 2Go taking over from the iPhone, like a kid at Christmas. My wife continues to love her Poly, of whom she goes nowhere without.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #13,384 of 22,511
I'm in Chamonix for a few days (work). I understand it is quite beautiful. Will it warrant packing a bit of warm clothing at night?

Hugo 2 is serving me well and is especially valued on trips. I look forward to 2Go taking over from the iPhone, like a kid at Christmas. My wife continues to love her Poly, of whom she goes nowhere without.
I wouldn’t say it’s cold as such, but a light down jacket or extra thermal base layer would probably be enough.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #13,385 of 22,511

I would not expect the ski lifts to be running this time of the year but it can get a bit nippy at night.

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #13,386 of 22,511

I can only speak for the SW France. We had an average years rain during the first 6 months, but starting on june 20th the weather has changed, and we have reached 30+C most days since. During afternoons you will probably be fine, but I agree with @ZappaMan about pack a light fleece, just in case for the evenings. @Christer this year was unusual in that the pyrannee ski resorts closed then reopened when the rain continued to result in snow during May/June, but I too now expect no snow in July. Nevertheless a very unusual year weatherwise in France.

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #13,387 of 22,511
Same here, hottest june / july on record.

Heat is not good with houses that are built to insulate from the cold and to keep the heat in.

Fans are no good, was thinking about this last year but I will be getting AC even if its just for the back rooms of the house which get direct sun from 11am til sunset and in summer that can be 10-11pm.

No good.

Forgot to add.

Who says global warming is BS ? All I know is for the last 5 summers, they all seem to be the hottest one on record.

Either somebody is bad at record keeping, or global warming is real. < suspect the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 6, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #13,388 of 22,511
Same here, hottest june / july on record.

Heat is not good with houses that are built to insulate from the cold and to keep the heat in.

Fans are no good, was thinking about this last year but I will be getting AC even if its just for the back rooms of the house which get direct sun from 11am til sunset and in summer that can be 10-11pm.

No good.

Forgot to add.

Who says global warming is BS ? All I know is for the last 5 summers, they all seem to be the hottest one on record.

Either somebody is bad at record keeping, or global warming is real. < suspect the latter.
My friend has recently installed another fan like this, and swears by it. https://www.amazon.fr/Klarstein-Bolero-Ventilateur-plafond-télécommande/dp/B01EYUBZKK
He lives not far from the Garonne, and the alternative is open the windows, and invite the mozzies.

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #13,389 of 22,511
My friend has recently installed another fan like this, and swears by it. https://www.amazon.fr/Klarstein-Bolero-Ventilateur-plafond-télécommande/dp/B01EYUBZKK
He lives not far from the Garonne, and the alternative is open the windows, and invite the mozzies.

Cool.

I Have a couple of stand up ones, rarely used as summer is short for me, and, is usually not this hot.

The ones I have, they are ok but useless, meaning, they blow some cool air, but because of the heat, we have had to use them whilst in bed and on mid power.

Its like bad tinnitus, it wont let me sleep, the noise they make is annoying, drrrrrrr, she can sleep through it, not me, probably because she likes her wine too much, or she has been stealing my sleeping pills.

Now I come to think of it, I will check that out, because I did run out 2 days early, a week or two ago.

Anyway

Possibly a roof mounted one above the bed will be slower and less noisy ?

My bedroom roof is one big mirror. Not sure if it’s possible to make a hole and hang it from there ?

When I was putting it up a few years back, I had to re-run the power cable for the original bedroom roof light to the left and right of the headboard, one candle shaped light on either side, both are dimmable by remote.

It may be expensive to re-run the cable and cut the mirror ? I don’t know if the mirror can be cut without damaging it, as its glued and screwed to the actual roof and will probably break or crack if tried.

Plus, brokeback aka me, which my brother gave me as a nickname after an accident, name of a mountain he saw in a movie he says.

It means that I am not upto climbing ladders and hanging things nowadays, the last thing that I put up was a huge poster of David Carradine from kill bill in a pose with a sword, that was a few years ago though, wouldnt be able to do it now, also have a signed samurai sword from kill bill, great movie.

I will check it out mike, if that can save me some money I will be happy. I can only imagine how expensive it will be to install proper AC and if not really needed except for 2 weeks each year, I would rather not do it and just use a slow roof or silent fan if there is such a thing as a silent fan ?

The one in my oven and pc all make noise, so I presume they are all noisy ?

Thanks for the link.

Mind fox posts for u fbi, > insecure < yes u r

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #13,390 of 22,511
Cool.

I Have a couple of stand up ones, rarely used as summer is short for me, and, is usually not this hot.

The ones I have, they are ok but useless, meaning, they blow some cool air, but because of the heat, we have had to use them whilst in bed and on mid power.

Its like bad tinnitus, it wont let me sleep, the noise they make is annoying, drrrrrrr, she can sleep through it, not me, probably because she likes her wine too much, or she has been stealing my sleeping pills.

Now I come to think of it, I will check that out, because I did run out 2 days early, a week or two ago.

Anyway

Possibly a roof mounted one above the bed will be slower and less noisy ?

My bedroom roof is one big mirror. Not sure if it’s possible to make a hole and hang it from there ?

When I was putting it up a few years back, I had to re-run the power cable for the original bedroom roof light to the left and right of the headboard, one candle shaped light on either side, both are dimmable by remote.

It may be expensive to re-run the cable and cut the mirror ? I don’t know if the mirror can be cut without damaging it, as its glued and screwed to the actual roof and will probably break or crack if tried.

Plus, brokeback aka me, which my brother gave me as a nickname after an accident, something on tv he says. It means that I am not upto climbing ladders and hanging things nowadays.

I will check it out mike, if that can save me some money I will be happy. I can only imagine how expensive it will be to install proper AC and if not really needed except for 2 weeks each year, I would rather not do it and just use a slow roof or silent fan if there is such a thing as a silent fan ?

The one in my oven and pc all make noise, so I presume they are all noisy ?

Thanks for the link.

Big ceiling fan on all night last few days here (Essex). When we bought it, I assumed size was total diameter but it was one blade! Wife shocked after seeing it installed, thought we had a helicopter in bedroom. It's a fairly narrow room and it just misses wall and wardrobe!I

Tried water cooled upright fans, but baring proper AC, these seem best solution and not too noisy. Remote control kept between pillow for three speed and off, plus light.

going to have to earn its money tonight. With Sun beating through curtains it's the highest indoors I've known in 25 years living here. 29, bloody hell, this is England!

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #13,391 of 22,511
Big ceiling fan on all night last few days here (Essex). When we bought it, I assumed size was total diameter but it was one blade! Wife shocked after seeing it installed, thought we had a helicopter in bedroom. It's a fairly narrow room and it just misses wall and wardrobe!I

Tried water cooled upright fans, but baring proper AC, these seem best solution and not too noisy. Remote control kept between pillow for three speed and off, plus light.

going to have to earn its money tonight. With Sun beating through curtains it's the highest indoors I've known in 25 years living here. 29, bloody hell, this is England!

Reminds me of the start of Apocalypse Now.

Alcohol induced dream of vietnam and the ceiling fan as the thump of a Huey helicopter.

Missus just went to bed and has now just put on that.....fan.
Will sleep in spare front bedroom instead, cooler and no noise, also no fan noise.

Yup, she really does sound like a pig when she sleeps.

^ does not know that I have just told headfi that not only does she really, really like her wine, she also resembles pigsy from the Monkey Magic tv show from the 1980s.

Strictly with regards to her nocturnal animal call behaviour that is. In all other aspects, she is in mint condition for a used 37 year old.

IMDB agrees with me and gives it a score of 8.5

Your remote is fancy, mines just turns the lights up and down, on and off. To turn off the fan, I have to kick/elbow her to reach over and do it instead, as its kinda hard for me to get out of a waterbed quickly, its much easier to waken her instead.

Half the time she does not recall turning it off, confusion reigns and she remains mystified that she really was the one who turned it off.

She wonders why she cant remember, I am guessing that it’s not early onset dementia/alzheimers.

Still need a proper cooling solution, I hate my house being this hot, it’s uncomfortably hot, so far this summer its been nuts and its forecast to continue.

Will pop down to B&Q or Argos and see whats available on sunday, would do it on saturday but, delivery of HD800S cans takes precedence.

I would not like to miss them because if they cannot deliver 12 litres of coconut water without drowning everything, I doubt they can safely store my new cans overnight without them either going missing or being damaged.

< really loves my booboo.

The vet has put him on heart medication because of an enlarged heart :frowning2:

I would do anything for my dog Aceyboob’s, He a chihuahua, he is also on steroids for allergies and he now looks like a pitbull, he too cannot stand this heat. :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #13,392 of 22,511
This post at 1.30 Phuca suggests you not sleeping well! Obviously ceiling fan not actually cooling air, but when turned off during night, felt physically sick, so back on it went. My Yamaha AV amp felt really hot to touch after being on 3 till 11 (on early for FOOTBALL, what is Soccer? :) it’s called Football World Cup round the world, lol)

Hope you like HD800S with Hugo2. I sold my HD800 as fell in love with Mr Speakers Ether Closed last year, but with most well recorded music the Senns were great.

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #13,393 of 22,511
This post at 1.30 Phuca suggests you not sleeping well! Obviously ceiling fan not actually cooling air, but when turned off during night, felt physically sick, so back on it went. My Yamaha AV amp felt really hot to touch after being on 3 till 11 (on early for FOOTBALL, what is Soccer? :) it’s called Football World Cup round the world, lol)

Hope you like HD800S with Hugo2. I sold my HD800 as fell in love with Mr Speakers Ether Closed last year, but with most well recorded music the Senns were great.

< does not sleep well at the best of times, hence chemical sleep in pill form.

Spare bedroom although cooler, does have a 55inch 4k tv in it and a mere 20-30 minutes of tv time made the room feel like the sahara, whats worse, the sky q box has a fan and all summer its been at .74 mach.

Soccer, < does not know what soccer is, but I do know a game called football aka fitba, futbawl in scotland.

If I can endure her snoring when tipsy, heat = easy, not really. I will check out cooling options this weekend, one that I stole from the dog was a gel filled plastic mat that has some type of gel or fluid that is always cool.

It was either use it or lose it, he didnt use it for that particular 5 minute period that I noticed that he was off of it, so he lost it.

Put it in fresh pillowcase and its perfect for cooling me down. Grudgingly I will give him it back and buy one for myself this weekend along with something thats quiet and cools.

Missus with a hand fan and trying to cool me down, although slightly cooling, she is not quiet, will not buy again, should of really took her back for a refund for being useless, but she comes in handy now and then aka feeds the dog and lets him out for a pee.

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #13,394 of 22,511
wow wow wow, tested newly acquired hd650 with mojo after around 48 hours burn in . the combo is extremely clean sounding, great soundstage and very even and smooth response, a bit on warmish side. I mainly listen to my speaker system so did not want to spend much on the likes of hd800/hd800s. compared to dt880 600ohm, hd650 is more even and smoother sounding. will try with Hugo 2 which is with my speaker system.

Jul 8, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #13,395 of 22,511

Agreed Andrew. Love the HD800 with my Hugo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back