Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. highfell
    I find BT useful, when I Spotify music through my Hugo2 to tube amp to stereo speaker and I control the music from my arm chair. I don’t do that as a preferred option but there are times when it’s practical and who needs to worry about having music sounding “perfect” all the time

AndrewH13 and Hooster like this.
  2. GU1DO
    i think the problem is in the 3.5 end ,, not sure , confirmation request came through the local dealer
    i saw in one post that the 4 poles is not working , it should be mono , so i asked the dealer to hold the order until i get a clear idea

Any recommendations are welcome , it just that i liked this company RCA cable , its is very good :)

3. Hooster
    I wonder, would it be a huge inconvenience for Chord, just to put a normal coaxial RCA digital input on their gear? Even manufacturers of very cheap products manage to do this, so why not Chord? It would make life much simpler for users.

This https://tinyurl.com/ybza7bka should work just fine

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    GU1DO likes this.
  4. highfell

I have the t90s and they really let you hear the detail of Hugo2, so I guess the T1s are a step up, Great cans - I got mine at a knock down price as an end of line piece of equipment. Like you I love them

tekkster likes this.
  5. lcasadonte
    At the risk of being flamed I just used an analog rca y splitter with a 3.5mm end. I plug the 3.5 in where it says coax and it works just fine. This was indicated in some other threads and was how the h2 was linked with the Blu2 in some of the writeups. Just fyi.

Currawong and Hooster like this.
  6. Currawong Contributor
    Indeed, a regular 3.5mm to RCA cable will work, if not the most ideally.

If you want a cable maker to make a custom cable, have them make a 3.5mm to RCA cable using two lengths of 75 Ohm cable.

The other thing you can do is get a 3.5mm to RCA socket adaptor and then either socket becomes a digital input.

[​IMG]

7. tekkster
    Wait, what? The coax 3.5mm port is BOTH analog AND digital?

I am confused. I thought the coax 3.5mm was digital.

Or...is that why the input colors have two for coax, because it can be either?

But, then, that means the Chord Hugo 2 can also function as just an amp?

Or is it analog input converting to digital, run through the dac, and then output again as analog?

Such a key piece I'm not understanding....

8. UELong
    The coax port on the H2 is for digital information. There are two ports, one from the tip of the plug, and the other from the ring, grounding with the sleeve. Although that kind of plug can be used in analog or digital duties, it's a digital S/PDIF connector. You cannot use it for an amp from that plug. He was just saying he could use a Y-splitter to use diferent RCA connectors for a blu2 or some other S/PDIF device. Some use the port to plug in a DAP to feed digital signal to the H2. The two RCA connections are to plug it into an external amp. Hope this clears up your confusion.

ChisChas and tekkster like this.
  9. x RELIC x Contributor
    It’s just a copper wire and won’t determine if it’s digital or analogue, that’s up to the signal sent through the wire. Hugo2 only accepts a digital input.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  10. Currawong Contributor
    No, there are two ports. One is a 3.5mm port for headphones, and the other is a 3.5mm port for coaxial digital. Confusingly they accept the same plug. Digital coax is supposed to use 75 Ohm BNC but manufacturers way back began using RCA sockets for convenience, and now are using 3.5mm sockets in portable gear. This, of course, becomes very confusing, especially if a socket can do both analog and digital through different pins, or through an optical transmitter at the bottom of the socket. The problem is that there isn't a standard, so we have different manufacturers doing different things.

I guess Rob was clever here though. The TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) of a 3.5mm analog plug corresponds to: Left positive, Right Positive, Ground.

The unique coaxial digital socket of the Hugo 2 corresponds its TRS socket to: Coax 1 positive, Coax 2 positive, ground. That means if you use a regular RCA-to-TS (tip-sleeve, or "mono" 3.5mm plug) it will work for coax 1. If you use something with the same pinout as an analog 3.5mm to stereo converter in the digital input socket, it will effect a pair of RCA sockets or plugs to coax digital inputs. That means you don't need a custom cable which you do with, say, FiiO's players.

ChisChas and UELong like this.
  11. GreenBow
    I keep thinking about all this. I noticed on a post your pictures of your iFi gear. Looks like you have galvanic isolation, but I can't recall.

I'm not sure it matters too much, but I think galvanic isolation stops ground loops which matters. Not that I think I have a ground loop from my PC. Am just saying.

I bought the iFi Nano USB 3.0 mainly for two reasons, and hoped it was galvanically isolated.

I wanted it for clean power supply. I am not totally sure I needed it, and I think Rob W says not. Other folk disagree with him. Same in the 2Qute thread. Personally I don't know because I still didn't try it out yet.
    Secondly for a USB cleaner, since I like the Audioquest Jitterbug. I need two USB cleaners because I have two DACs attached to my PC.

I don't see it as wasted money, because I can use it for my Hugo 2. Or I can take advantage of the clean power supply for my Meridian Explorer.

12. Currawong Contributor
    My experience suggests that having low-noise USB is important. Electrically isolated USB that uses a transformer, which is what I think is being sold as “galvanic isolation” may have possible benefits but I think that my rant was against suggesting it as necessary because it has come out as a buzzword. The iUSB 3.0 isn’t isolated.

ChisChas likes this.
  13. miketlse
    Edited

14. Rob Watts
    The headphone 3.5mm is stereo headphone output only. The 3.5mm SPDIF digital inputs are two channel SPDIF inputs only.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
  15. GU1DO
    interesting that you liked regular RCA cable
    i know that regular RCA cable are not made to the SPDIF specifications 75 Ohm / shielding

Your next post answered all my questions , Thanks